What is the cheapest and best 1000yd range finder?

I also have a Vortex Razor HD 4000. It has a less forgiving eye box (if that's even a phrase that can be used for a rangefinder) than my old Leica LRF 900, but it definitely allows for ranging at extended distances. I have used it at up to 2,600 yards on a building and at 780 yards on 2/3 IPSC steel. $450 is a really good price for one. Euro Optic has them on sale right now for $425 shipped.

I really like the Leupold RX2800. It ranges pretty accurate at 800 yards. I honestly have not tried it past that range yet. I remember paying around $500 for it a few years ago.
I got the 2800 for some ELR competitions awhile back around a year after it came out, and mine reliably ranges to 2000y. In Utah desert.

I'm not a huge Leupold fan, but it's a decent little unit for the price.

Last edited:
I have the Maven RF.1 and really like it. Can hardly beat it for $450. Supposed to be able to range out to 4500 yards. I personally have range over 2000 yards resting off a solid surface. My buddy has a Leica and id put this up against it any day. When we tested side by side the units brought back ranges very close to each other. For me the price difference wouldn't be worth it to get the Lecia. Obviously it has more capabilities with ballistics and such but that's unnecessary for my situation.

Maven also has a little cheaper version that maxes out at 2500, CRF.1. I never used or handled one of these, but I'd be confident it's every bit as nice as the RF.1 that I have.

My first rangefinder was a Leupold. After 4 years would not function anymore, electronics completely DOA and no factory support. I don't expect a lifetime warranty with electronics but I do expect it to last longer than 4 years. And mine lives a very easy life. Have a Sig now and happy so far.

What about performance in snow? I was in snow covered mountains of Montana this fall with a guide and neither of us could get a reading past 200 yards. My guide claimed it was the snow and the fact that we both had cheaper models. I have a Nikon, not sure exact one off hand. Never had an issue with it before. I think he had some sort of vortex model. Anyone have insight on how snow affects it? I was just going to save up and spend real coin on one, hoping that fixed the problem.