What is the cheapest and best 1000yd range finder?

I've got a Leica 1000 I've used for over 10 yrs. and I have ranged non-reflective targets a bit over 1200yds.
My Leica turns 15 yrs old this year. Still awesome just doesn't have as powerful of a laser as current stuff. 7x, great glass, light and thin. If just a basic RF is needed, these might be able to be had for pretty cheap now. Mine was about $600 in 2010. That's a lot in 2024 dollars! Mine mostly lives in my golf bag now because the razor outperforms it for long ranges and inclines.
Someone was asking about snow affecting their RF performance. From my experience it's really about light and how strong of a laser you have. Bright days or a lot of reflection will diminish your distance. Conversely, you will get more distance ranging at night. That's why you need overkill built in to your device. Some manufacturers like to sell their max ranges under ideal conditions, not normal conditions. My Leica was always reliable to 1000 as advertised on hard objects and could get out to about 1300 max. My razor hd 4000 will range cows at a mile and buildings at around 3000 or so on a clear day at 7000' elevation. A little further on a tripod.

My sig Kilo has refused to range even out to 40 yards (en estimate because again, it wouldn't range) on animals in temps below freezing. I packed 2 new batteries this last fall after it failed on me in the snow the prior November.

If I put it in my pants and warm the entire unit up (the rangefinder that is), it comes back to life. Sig told me tough luck, it's old, and not designed to last forever, but cold weather performance is a concern. Works great when it's not winter weather and it's exposed to the elements for a week, rangefinder pouch with a hand warmer wouldn't keep it functioning. I also do t like the lack much magnification, makes it tough been from prone to get a for sure range on an elk sized animal at say 800-1000 yds…the reticle is just too large to be sure what it's actually ranging.

I'll probably go vortex, not a huge fan of their glass, bu the reviews on the HD are pretty tough to beat for the price…as is their warranty/support.

Cheaper is not always best. By the time you buy your range finder and a seperate scope why not have them in one package. And Burris has a "FOREVER" Warranty no questions asked. https://www.burrisoptics.com/riflescopes/eliminator-iv-laserscope-4-16x50mm
Because having your rangefinder built into a scope is about useless except for making commercials. And all the other reasons like scope performance, reticles, versatility, not having to point your rifle at everything your aren't shooting at that needs to be ranged, etc.

I had a bushnell 20 years ago I think was rated for 1000 yds and it worked very well but was big and bulky so I bought a leupold super duper model rated at 1000 yds and was nicely sized where you could put it in your shirt pocket and was total junk, never got a range on an animal past 350 yds. Went to bushnell binocular rangefinder combo and it worked great and still does 15 years after I bought it. ranges animals past 800 yds once in a while even to 1200 yds and the glass is plenty good, I hunted Ft peck in Montana many years in a row with it and always got a good buck where spot and stalk is how we did it and the optics were good enough to evaluate a deer 1/2 mile and maybe 1 mile away before you made a run on him. Now I hunt in my own back yard, have close to a section near Boise so the farthest looking I do is probably 1/2 to 3/4 mile away and the optics are fine and the rangefinder works very well

Last edited:
Look below and you will find the answer. If you don't find it use the great search feature. Months of information to help you.

What about performance in snow? I was in snow covered mountains of Montana this fall with a guide and neither of us could get a reading past 200 yards. My guide claimed it was the snow and the fact that we both had cheaper models. I have a Nikon, not sure exact one off hand. Never had an issue with it before. I think he had some sort of vortex model. Anyone have insight on how snow affects it? I was just going to save up and spend real coin on one, hoping that fixed the problem.
I doubt it was the snow. Probably the temperature. I had a 2 mile Sig that wouldn't range 400 yards when it got cold. Sig said I was welcome to buy another one. Last Sig I'll ever own!

Halo Optics XLR 3000 Rangefinder
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1024900559

I bought one of these very inexpensive rangefinders and have compared it to my Nikon black rangeX 4k out to 1500 yards on trees and they both agree within a couple yards. My son is hunting with the $100 one and it's been great so far but only had it for a year.