what is the best budget rangefinder

romad97

Is it possible to buy a rangefinder for under $500 that is consistently accurate out to at least 800 yards? I am asking for a rangefinder for Christmas but don't have the money for a top end model. I see that a lot of them advertise out to 1000 yards within my budget but, I would like to hear from some real world experience if this is all smoke and mirrors. I was looking at the vortex ranger as it has some really nice specs but, I would like to hear if anyone has any real world numbers on it or any other similar range finders for that matter.

Is it possible to buy a rangefinder for under $500 that is consistently accurate out to at least 800 yards? I am asking for a rangefinder for Christmas but don't have the money for a top end model. I see that a lot of them advertise out to 1000 yards within my budget but, I would like to hear from some real world experience if this is all smoke and mirrors. I was looking at the vortex ranger as it has some really nice specs but, I would like to hear if anyone has any real world numbers on it or any other similar range finders for that matter.

I know it's not what you are asking but save a bit more a get a Leica 1600/1600B. You can probably get a used Leica for close to your current budget.

Good luck!

With that budget I would look at one of these:Amazon.com : Bushnell Tactical 202421 Elite 1-Mile ARC 7x26mm Laser Rangefinder : Sports & Outdoors

Bushnell was the first to do laser rangefinders and they are actually pretty good. They are not a Leica though but they are very functional. I still have one of the original rangefinders they made...

General rule is that a rangefinder can reliably range to a distance of 1/2 its rated range. That rule seems to hold true. I also have a Bushnell 1200 ARC rangefinder and it seems reliable to 600 yards. I have a Leica 1600B too and it is reliable to 1200 or so depending on the weather and light that day.

I really think the above Bushnell would be worth a look. Try to find one at Sportsmans Warehouse or some place so you can try it out.

The conversation might turn to beam divergence here. That is usually where the Leica shines. It has a small divergence, which means you can do things like range an antelope standing alone in a wide open space pretty accurately. Rangefinders with larger divergence can have problems with something like that. The Bushnells I have, have a larger divergence, but it really depends on where you use them as to if it's an issue or not. If you do a lot of ranging in areas where there are likely trees, boulders, bushes, etc. near the animal being ranged, it is not much of an issue.

Thanks for the reply's. I understand the concept of beam divergence. I also know the more money I spend the better quality product I can expect but, sometimes it just simply comes down to what a person can afford. I will definately take a look at the leica 1600B though. I may be able to squeeze out a few extra dollars or maybe find a nice used one.

Save enough to get the Lieca 1600. Anything else will just frustrate you and waste your money.:rolleyes:

Romad97 I have the bushnell elite 1mile got it on Amazon for $440 I think, you might get it a bit cheaper on black friday. I researched every review and article I could find online and for th money it is th best one out there. I've had it for about a year and I am very happy with it. in the evening I can range houses and barns fairly consistently at 1500-1760yd in the brightest light I can usually range small trees bushes and stuff about 8'x8' to 1400-1500ish cows and horses get challenging at much over 1100 I have found that the beam does not seem to be in the center of the circle but in the bottom half after learning that and with a solid rest it is doable. I have not ranged many deer or antelope but I think they would be a challange at 900-1000 and on coyote size stuff I have to range a tree rock or whatever is handy over about 600ish. Like I said I am happy for the price and have gotten fairly adept at making it work. That being said my friend and shooting partner has a lieca 1600-b and he has a very clear advantage on cow sized and smaller animals, anything I can range from cows down he can range atlest a couple hundred yd farther and much more consistently. if it takes me 5 tries to get a range he gets a range 4 out of 5 tries. But he got his on sale for like 675 I think so there you have my 2cents. Hope this helps.

That helps a lot. Anytime I can get real world experience it helps my decision. I can honestly say I have narrowed this down to either the bushnel 1 mile or the leica 1600B after all of these comments.

Do not spend extra for the 1600 B. That is if you can find a 1600. Without a doubt these are great range finders. However, the B ( ballistics) in the !600B is useless.

I saw Kestrel came out with a combo with the Bushnell 1 mile. I am thinking of going that route that gets you good to 800 yards. As my skills improve I really think I will save up for the G7 new or used. For hunting it seems the best all around unit.

A used 1600 would be ideal. Like another poster stated I wouldn't waste my money on the 1600b. It just isn't worth it, if you can find a used 1600.

I had an older arc Bushnell elite that would also do what you are wanting to do. Not sure how the new ones compare.

Romad97 I was looking at bushnell rangefinders today and they have 1 for golf called the pro x7 jolt that looks identical to the elite 1mile just different colors and as near as I can tell it has the same specs. As the elite 1mile and its almost 100 bucks less new. Even saw a factory refurbished for 250bucks. You might check it out, likely won't have ballistics in it tho don't no if that matters to you or not.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.