Hunting scope season - the best of the cheapest?

I hate to pass judgement, but somebody waiting until August to pick up a cheap scope for rifle season is hard to take serious. They are likely a 50-250 yd shooter, less than an hour from the box store where they can get another.

Frankly, I buy most optics from Black Friday through year end due to pricing. I mount over the winter and try to get load development done before April when it gets hot. Then in August, I start thinking about running that load out to 700 or so.

vortex diamondback hp 3-12x42
- These scopes are clear and bright for the money. It is surprising.
- Get the BDC reticle, I've shot successfully with those.
- The turrets worked well sighting in, but I never tried dialing.

SWFA SS 10x42
- It works
- It dials
- Good enough reticle

Last edited:
The Fall season is fast approaching, and the annual question from the co-workers is always identical; what deer-hunting scope should I buy? And I can only spend $200-$300 . . . .

In this price range, I admit I try and prioritize reliability over optical performance. These same co-workers stretching their hard-earned dollar always seem to be the folks abusing their equipment. Heavy recoiling rifles aside, I'm talking about the drops from the back the tailgate, and the trips down endless two-track trails at eighty miles an hour. That said, the top of my list always includes the Burris Fullfield E1 for a very specific reason (direct from their website below)

I have noticed however that referencing erector reliability is not something explicitly stated by many manufacturers. I thought I read something about it from Leupold a few years ago, but I can't find it currently. And I'm not even sure if all of Burris's Fullfield scopes include this feature. For example, the Burris Fullfield IV makes no mention of this. Is it just assumed?

So the question is; can anyone confirm what other makes and models of "cheap scope" prioritize erector reliability? I'd like to know what other options in this price range are available.

Any additional insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited:
I hate to pass judgement, but somebody waiting until August to pick up a cheap scope for rifle season is hard to take serious. They are likely a 50-250 yd shooter, less than an hour from the box store where they can get another.

Frankly, I buy most optics from Black Friday through year end due to pricing. I mount over the winter and try to get load development done before April when it gets hot. Then in August, I start thinking about running that load out to 700 or so.

vortex diamondback hp 3-12x42
- These scopes are clear and bright for the money. It is surprising.
- Get the BDC reticle, I've shot successfully with those.
- The turrets worked well sighting in, but I never tried dialing.

SWFA SS 10x42
- It works
- It dials
- Good enough reticle
I've had the SWFA SS 10x42 for years. Good enough for the SEALs, good enough for my deer or 500 yd paper. Originally the DOD paid about $700 each for the first iteration. I have it on a Savage 10T .308.

The Fall season is fast approaching, and the annual question from the co-workers is always identical; what deer-hunting scope should I buy? And I can only spend $200-$300 . . . .

In this price range, I admit I try and prioritize reliability over optical performance. These same co-workers stretching their hard-earned dollar always seem to be the folks abusing their equipment. Heavy recoiling rifles aside, I'm talking about the drops from the back the tailgate, and the trips down endless two-track trails at eighty miles an hour. That said, the top of my list always includes the Burris Fullfield E1 for a very specific reason (direct from their website below)

I have noticed however that referencing erector reliability is not something explicitly stated by many manufacturers. I thought I read something about it from Leupold a few years ago, but I can't find it currently. And I'm not even sure if all of Burris's Fullfield scopes include this feature. For example, the Burris Fullfield IV makes no mention of this. Is it just assumed?

So the question is; can anyone confirm what other makes and models of "cheap scope" prioritize erector reliability? I'd like to know what other options in this price range are available.

Any additional insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

This one, with the Ballistic Plex reticle
Side-Focus too.

I've personally seen entry-level Nikon, Vortex, and Bushnell all loose their zero way too easily. Hence the reason for my post. I think specific reliability improvements to the erector system are important, which is why this statement (above) by Burris intruiges me.

I'm done with the companies who claim a "lifetime" warranty when their business model is simply to price their products accordingly with the full expectation that they will be receiving a percentage of broken ones back from their customers. It's just a numbers game. Kinda like car insurance

I guess I need to call Burris and inquire about this detail listed for their Fullfield E1 series. Why is it only listed for this series? Are the other series built differently?

Do you guys remember the Burris "Posi-Lok" system? What a brilliant idea. Unfortunately its no longer made because most users broke it due to operator error.
Posi-Lok was a bad idea from the start - loading the erector tube with screws was bound to change your zero to say nothing of trying to make adjustments before backing out the screws.

Well you guys may not like me after this, but is for true! ALMOST ALL scopes in your price range will be of Chinese origin. Some of the Bushnell come from Korea and others from the Phillipines. Just a few that are pretty high quality with reasonable prices
Athlon Optics
Blackhound Optics
Arken Optics
I personally own several of all the above. 7 of the Blackhound 4 Athlon and 2 Arken.
All have added scopes in that price range and the quality has dramatically improved. I have shot all of them to at least 300 yards and a few to 800. They really are a good buy.

Nikon's scopes have decent glass for the money, and include a lifetime guarantee. Same for Vortex I think. Not sure about erector reliability, so if they're dropped on the day of the hunt all bets are off. As an aside, I have seen scopes advertised as "shock-proof".
Nikon quit making scopes a year or two now ago!

Have yet to see a cheaper scope that I would mount on my hunting rifle and keep. Tried a few on my coyote gun and they were sold quickly. Glass is lacking, didn't hold zero well. Not worth the time and money. Save a little longer and get a better setup.

A used VX-2 would be my suggestion. I've owned several and never had a problem with them holding zero. I did have one that I bought with a stiff power ring. I sent it in and it came back working perfectly. Leupold said there were no problems, but the change in function belied their claim. I had already tried oiling it, so I know it was more than just that.

I had a Vortex Crossfire. I bought it with the ocular knocked out. I sent it to Vortex and they replaced it, no questions asked.

I would stay away from Nikon bc their aforementioned move away from sports optics.

I've read enough about issues with Burris not wanting to stand behind their warranty that I would pass.

This site has some good basic info- Here's the page for sub-$400 scopes.

Lord people you gotta step back and realize for many a "deer hunter" the Leupold VX3 is the top of the mountain. I hunted with a $130 Nikon pro staff for years and I can't even think of a missed opportunity because of the scope. Yeah there were deer out of range of my abilities at the time but I could clearly see them in the bean field.
Deer hunting coworkers means capped turrets, maybe BDC, minimum power of 3 and max of 12.
The whole world is available in this. Pick one of the big names and move on.