Budget/cheapest reliable variable power scope on the market

Wachsmann

Budget/cheapest reliable variable power scope on the market

I am looking at building a budget system 308. I have the gun, just looking at optics now. I have been going over several. I am trying to get real world hands on experience of what people have bought and know that the scope works. I'll start off by saying I know that the vortex viper, the hs, and the hslr all work. I'm not counting these out but there not what I consider bottom dollar optics that work reliable on the elevation and windage turrets for dialing for a range.. I think the lowest I have found is a fixed power 10X Bushnell but I don't want fixed and I would like more magnification. I'm trying to get over 14 power, it's ok to be a second focal plane which is something to be expected. I also have a zeiss conquest 4.5x14. It holds its zero and can be dialed up and back down with no problems. So below is a list of a few that I was looking at. If any experience please speak up. If any susgestions please also give you experience.

Bushnell AR Optics 4.5-18x40mm, Bushnell Matte Elite Tactical 5-15x40, Redfield Battlezone 6-18x44mm TAC-MOA, Hawke Sport Optics, Sightron SII 4-16x42mm, Weaver 6.5-20 x 44mm AO 40/44, Millett LRS-1 1/4 MOA, Primary Arms® New 4-14X44 FFP...

Last edited:
I just got a 5x15 bushnenll elite tactical (refirb) from cameraland for 300 bucks. Call there and see if doug can set you up. I haven't shot the scope yet but It seems decent for the price range

One of my budget minded shooting buddies put the Bushnell elite tactical 5-15x40 on his savage 338 lapua. The turrets are accurate but you must tap the turrets after adjustment or the point of impact will not change the correct amount for the next shot. It will walk its way over to the correct adjustment in about 3 shots if not tapped. He is now saving money to get a better scope. I do not have experience with any of the other scopes mentioned.

I own one of these (Bushnell - 4.5-14x 44mm - Mil-Dot) and I'm happy with it. It's on a hunting rig not a LR target rig so I'm not going to comment on how it is if you're cranking turrets. For having/learning a mi-dot system, and good optics, it fit the budget I had at the time.

Also, here's a helpful review of the Legend HD getting ran through some paces: http://www.gunsumerreports.com/review_bushnell_legend_ultra_hd_3-9x50_scope.php.

Not the exact scope I have, but basically the same as far as turrets, adjustments, etc.

I own one of these (Bushnell - 4.5-14x 44mm - Mil-Dot) and I'm happy with it. It's on a hunting rig not a LR target rig so I'm not going to comment on how it is if you're cranking turrets. For having/learning a mi-dot system, and good optics, it fit the budget I had at the time.

Also, here's a helpful review of the Legend HD getting ran through some paces: Bushnell Legend Ultra HD Scope Review.

Not the exact scope I have, but basically the same as far as turrets, adjustments, etc.
I recently got a burris droptine 4-14-42 scope with the half mil reticle,,pretty darn good glass for the price,,only down is so on the bell but not that big of a deal

Primary Arms 4-14X44 Mil Mil FFP Scope..229.00.....AND .........Millett 6-25 x 56 LRS 1 Scope..399.00...So fare these might be my top 2 contenders for value verses price. The Millett has something like 140 MOA of adjustment and the turret seems to be very tight. Reviews and videos also are great and it supposed to hold true to its adjustments. The PA scope reviews and youtubes videos saids its spot on with its turret and it 35mils of elevation. I'm not a mil man but I can learn.

After looking over the mil scopes yes I can learn how to use them but every scope I have is a MOA click value so I leaning a lot to a MOA type scope. I may just keep saving and wait till I have enough for another vortex. But I was tring to get this done for a little cheaper. I do like the vortex a lot though and I might save up enough for a higher power model and use the one of my 300RUM.

I have experience with the Bushnell Elite 3200, and it's a nice piece of glass, but for my money the best bang for your buck is Weaver's Grand Slam, really nice glass, repeatable adjustment, and durable as all get out. I now use Leupold's exclusively, and they have some that are priced very reasonable and are great values as well.

So the Weaver looks like an ok choice but I think I would probably choose a vortex over the weaver due to higher magnification or possibly a zero stop on a scope. I seen the Bushnell 3200 around a lot but I don't like the fact that doing a 2 step or a tap on the turret to get it to move. Some what tell me that the internal parts might or has the possibility to fail or not be true to the adjustments. I not trying to be too picky but for the money I would continue to save and get vortex HST in the 6x24x50. I would put this scope on my 300RUM and pull off my 4x16HSLR and place on my 6.5x284. Then put the zeiss conquest 4.5x14 on my cheap bench gun. Personally I don't wont to move all those scopes around and have to sight back in again…but I like to shoot and it would give me some fun. I'm enjoying all the comments and keep the info flowing. I will keep looking at reviews and see what I can go over on u-tube to also see what works as well.( actually see the scopes in action).

Consider the following option......

Rudolph H1 4.5-14x44mm.......selling for $395, delivered to your address of choice!

74046540beb91093ce5fa1e3fc5ff319_zps580ba116.jpg

Todd Neice
Cell: 330 705 7458
E-mail: [email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.