Advice on "lower power " variable scope

mobenzowner

I have a Browning X-bolt .308 that I am considering changing out the scope. I would like a very nice 2.5 - 10 power scope or 3 -12 power, something in that range. I would like to keep the weight down a bit as well, but want very good to great glass and repeatable dialing. My first thought was the NF NXS in 2.5 - 10 x 42, but it's a little heavy. I'm however having trouble finding something in that close range quality wise that's a bit lighter. Looked at the Viper PST but reviews on it are mixed. Look forward to you all's recommendations.

If your only "negative" with the NF NXS is the weight, go with it anyway. Hard to beat it pricewise and quality wise. Hard to find "mixed reviews" on the NF scopes, too. I haven't seen any negative reviews on them.

I have the 2.5-10 Nikon on my main hunting ar in 300 blk. Excellent scope for the money. It's no Nightforce but it is quite capable of dialing. As said its the most used scope I have and has never let me down. Sounds weird when I say it cause you would usually put the best glass on what you always use but for long range work I need the best. For distances I normally hunt the Nikon works great.

Lael - your probably right about the weight and the NXS. I have an NXS in the 3x15 variety and like it a lot.

Sully and Snox - I have had a few Nikon scopes, mostly Monarchs in the higher powers. Actually have a 5-20x44sf sitting in my desk right now. I guess I should trade it for something a bit more suitable power wise for a short to mid-range hunting variety.

I have a Leupold VX-6 2-12 on my main hunting rifle. I like it very much.

That's one I have pulled up and am looking at as we speak. What kind of reticle would you recommend on that scope?

I have the firedot. Fine for hunting but the crosshairs are a little thick for targets.

I have the Tmoa on all my other VX-6's and really like it.

Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Leupold VX-6 3-18x44 with the Tmoa reticle. Certainly not a lightweight scope by any standard, but the 6x magnification is nice. Hope it serves well for hunting and targets. The Tmoa reticle is what sold me on that scope.

Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Leupold VX-6 3-18x44 with the Tmoa reticle. Certainly not a lightweight scope by any standard, but the 6x magnification is nice. Hope it serves well for hunting and targets. The Tmoa reticle is what sold me on that scope.

Dang, just missed giving input on this one, but glad to see you found what you were looking for. I was going to say that the Kahles 3-12x is one of the nicest lower power scopes out there. Also, the Swaro X5i 3.5-18 is another good option. Good luck with the VX-6, hopefully it treats you well.

A couple lower priced options would be either the Bushnell LRHS line, or the Vortex 2.5-10 as mentioned earlier. I know several people with both of these and they really like them.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.