Whats The Best Scope

JP Hunter

OK Guys,

I know this will start a debate, but I want to be clear be for I spend the money. It seems that NF is the general favorite here. But be for I came to you Guys I have never herd of them. I have a older Leopold 3.5-10x50 and love it for may the hunting in the past. It's tough to shoot a Blacktail past 350 with it. So I think I need to up grade to a 6-20 or higher. I like the NXS 5.5-22x50. Not sure what plex to get, all I ever had is plane.
I want the best money can buy, and last I buy for my Rem 700 in 300rum or for the next bigger better gun way down the road. I would like to keep it light for backpacking, but will sacrifice for function. My goal is to "surprise surprise" to shoot out to 1000yd. Not sure if I'm considering every thing. All help is appreciated.gun)

As far as magnification goes, your scope has plenty and unless your eye is failing you in some way(let's pray it's not) or the scope is defective, anything at 350 yards with your scope cranked to 10 should be quite visible. 10X is used to 1,000 more than you think. We all have our limitations and to my eye, I start wanting more than a 10X when I reach 600 yards or so. Am I still able to precisely hit what I'm aiming at? Yes, but I don't feel comfortable so I'm thinking about going to 16 or 20 soon myself.

As for what brand, you'll get bombarded with answers. If price is no object, your choices become much slimmer. If you want very good quality but don't want to spend a grand or more, your choices just opened up a quite a bit.

Personally I don't want or need a Nightforce that costs more than my rifles, but that doesn't mean I mount garbage on them either. I have a couple Super Snipers which are comparable to scopes that cost 2 or 3 times as much which leaves me more funds for other accessories. With that said, I've recently mounted a scope I like even more than the Supers and it's 100.00 less so I'm not complaining! (the Bushnell elite 3200 10X w/mil). To me the glass looks clearer, other than that they are tied in performance(I can live without the 30mm tube). I am interested in the Bushy 6500s though, that 2.5-16x sounds sexy and once they are available, I may be using that Stimulus check :)

With the hunting and shooting I do, I don't need that extra % of light transmission at sunset, I don't need to reach out and touch an elk(although I'd like 2 someday) at 900 yards. I just require that my scopes track well, have good glass, and can take abuse.

Well -------- since you asked I will give you my humble opinion. I am about performance period end of discussion…. On my competition rifles I use NF and that is because they are a good optic and keep me in my weight class. On my sporters and I have USO, S&B PMII's and Zenith's and VMV series and a couple of Loopys even. The rifle I hunt with the most is shown in the pic and uses a new "lower profile" version by USO. This was the first scope they built like this and I absolutely love it. The optics are world class and the tracking sets the gold standard IMHO. That being said the S&B PMII is virtually the same however I like the ability to choose the exact reticle I want.
USOWarp72.jpg

USOWarp7.jpg

You will get many opinions about optics but just remember you pay for what you get… Have spent many an hour comparing performance side by side including resolution, contrast, color rendering and low light and even night time performance. I judge everything in relation to my Leica Telivid APO 77 Spotting scope which is the finest piece of glass my eyes have looked through.

Last edited:
The current favorite NXS reticle is the R-1. For some reason it is not listed or depicted on the Nightforce website yet :mad:, but it is an "improved" version of the R-2.

The Nightforce reticle nomenclature is a little confusing.

USO with a GAP reticle and EREK elevation knob in .1 mil. Order everything else as you like. I have a Nightforce, Leupold MK4, and a USO. USO is easly my favorite.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.