What is the best scope on the market PERIOD?

Thanks Feenix. This Arc Rizer looks promising to try since it was designed for .50 caliber. I don't see a phone or email contact info though?

I absolutely concur with Lou's remarks and assessment of the Horus Reticle and the Horus scope. Like Lou and Bruce, I twiddled knobs for years before discovering the Hours system in Iraq. To be honest I hated it when I first used it. The S&B was awesome but the view was all cluttered up and strange, I mean you didn't use dial ups! So I returned to the GenII mildot that I was using. When I came home I watched the Magpul training DVD "The Art of the Precision Rifle" and absorbed everything Todd Hodnett was teaching about the Horus System.

What an epiphany! Given you had means of determining range, good dope and could dope the wind, a first focal plane scope with a Horus H-58, H-59, or like me the H-37 reticle, first round hits beyond what was considered at that time 'long range' were expected. No knob twisting, no looking up to make sure you setting was correct, no returning to zero, no risk of over twisting a knob, no worries about set screws coming loose from yanking knobs back and forth... life was good! But like Todd Hodnett has said, learning the Horus system was a venture 'outside my comfort zone', but a venture well worth the incidental discomfort and time.

So a couple of years ago I decided to save up my lunch money and purchase a quality scope with a Horus reticle. I took my time, researched, spoke with folks I respected and considered experts like Mr. Boyd, Mr. Ventura, and Mr. Hodnett, US Army AMU and SOTIC instructors, shooters and team members. I sought out folks with the scopes I was considering... US Optics, March, S&B, Leupold, Nighforce, Burris, Bushnell and Vortex. One fella had a Horus Falcon with the H-59 reticle and my interest was piqued. The more I shot it, the more I like it. Yep it's a bit heavier, but that steel body is an absolute security blanket when it comes to humping around in unforgiving terrain, and in my humble opinion, "if you can't hump it, don't pack it".

To me the Horus Falcon compared with S&B as far as clarity, color distortion (lack of), edge to edge at all magnifications, and dusk and dawn light gathering, and exceeded the others mentioned in one way or the other. The kicker was the price of the Horus Falcon. I was buying riflescope of exceptional quality without the exceptional price, I could eat lunch again!! The scopes that I thought were exceptional were US Optics and March, but then again so was the price.

When I started my quest I had decided on a Horus reticle, but it was totally open regarding which brand, without prejudice, preference, or sponsorship. So now I happily own the steel bodied Horus Falcon with the H-37 reticle and have absolutely no complaints whatsoever. All I can recommend when considering going without lunch for a long time to buy your once in a lifetime riflescope is to keep an open mind, don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone, actually look at and attempt to use what you are considering buying and seek expert opinion and recommendations...positive and negative. I did, thanks go out to my mentors!

DocB

"Animo et Fide" ... Courage and Faith

DocB,

First and foremost thank you for my freedom and your service.

Wow what a write up you have! A ton of experience in a few short paragraphs. Just bought my first Horus! I do love my Black Diamond but I know now it was not worth the price. Top that off with Burris dropped the line. I think Burris is done now that Berretta is in charge. I try very hard to stick to US manufacture but it is getting way hard to afford.

The Horus reticle, while. A decent idea for soley long ranges, would be really tough for me to use. Many shots are in timbered or brushy areas, and must be taken fairly fast at times. These reticles are far to cluttered for good all around use to my way of thinking, however not having even tried one, i am just tossing this out as an idea.

The Horus reticle, while. A decent idea for soley long ranges, would be really tough for me to use. Many shots are in timbered or brushy areas, and must be taken fairly fast at times. These reticles are far to cluttered for good all around use to my way of thinking, however not having even tried one, i am just tossing this out as an idea.

I don't know Blwebster I have a Leupold MK4 with a fairly busy reticle on my .25-06 Sporter. When not banging out a long shot, looking quickly through that scope both eyes open fast fire.... I kind of look right through the "noise" and shoot more on a centered target in the scope at closer range. The Horus may not bother you. It does take time to use I understand.

So when I reactivated this thread in September I was hoping to see if anybody was using any new extreme range scopes. I had tried to get a 200MOA 12-50x US Optics custom scope but failed -- for a new .338 /408/Gibbs.505 case based rifle built for 3000yds. My 5-25 S&B is great for hunting on my Snipetac .375 out to about one mile. My .375 AM has a S&B 12-50 which is great to 2200 yds but after that runs out of reticle and I have to use Mil dots for holding over. I also have a Valdata Terminator 12-52 for a .416, a 6-24Meopta, and others like a NF 5.5-22 for a 30-378 and Leuopolds and Nikons for shorter range rifles.

The problem is clearly beyond about 2000yds the options are small because of the balance between power and reticle adjustment range. While some have used adjustable bases I worry about how accurate the precision and return to zero is on these, including th added height, all which would seem to add to potential inaccuracy.
As rifles become more accurate at larger ranges, hopefully we ll see some better extreme range scopes. Does anybody have experience with the custom US Optics scopes that go to 50x power and what dial MOA range do you get?
i thought the Valada had 35 mil adjust in a 40mm tube could be wrong,4-28x50 glass etc suppose to be good?you can google vid review

#1 on the Horus H59 reticle Doc. I have it on my Bushnell ERS 3.5 - 21 scope (the former HDMR W/ zero stop) and love it.

Do a few hours on the range with one and you will see how easy to use they are.

Amazing how easy you can begin to know what windage holds you need from some experience. I'm going to tape some holds on my stock.

i thought the Valada had 35 mil adjust in a 40mm tube could be wrong,4-28x50 glass etc suppose to be good?you can google vid review

In the interest of the thread I have a Night Force NXS 8-32×56 RIFLESCOPE that sits on a Savage 111 in .338 Lapua that is being evaluated by our shooters here. Of course it is a Night Force and so far has taken one hell of a beating. Return to Zero is close and will come back within a few inches at 800 yards over and over. It provides spotting scope magnification on the high end of magnification. It is very clear and in my opinion, very expensive. (++1K) Without bringing up bad blood and previous rants... I just wish my money had not been distributed to overseas vendors. It is not a 100% USA product. It does appear to be assembled here. So far it is perfect for the big Lapua's. Lots of light even when using the sun shade. Mirage is insane when conditions are right on high magnification. This is not the scope but is to be expected when using high magnification. That has to be kept in mind when buying high magnification. Variable power does cut down on the light over a fixed or lower range power scope. Tongue in cheek I would buy it again. Also in use are Leupold Mark 4 LR/T's. Mounted on custom 25-06 sporter's , this is one excellent long range hunting scope. Very strong. Effective click stops. great optics and good in morning and eve light. High magnification provides more accurate shot placement required on long shots with a 25-06. I cannot find this versatile of a scope that can take a pounding with 100% USA product. Only My Burris Black Diamonds that are now discontinued by Burris / Berretta. I would not recommend Burris now as their mind set is definitely Berretta driven. I think they now use outsourced product. They used to be 100% USA. I don't know how much USA means to buyers in this forum. I try hard to buy USA that's just me. That said I am convinced the best value lies in the Nikon Monarchs. I have several in use. Great scope for the money (--1K:)). I would highly recommend them. I have them on AR's and LR's. I have not tried one on the big .338's. I think they would work. A great value but not as versatile as the Night Force. Not as much in the reticle department. Also I have Vortex products on several short / long shot carbines in 7.62X40WT. So far these are terrific for the price. Very much like the Nikon's.

Just some thoughts.

I dont have a Valada,just looked like LR3 was looking for lots of adjustment for ELR.I have been around plenty of NF including the one mentioned.Right now in last 2 years in PRS the top fifty shooters use S&B FIRST,then its flopped a bit from bushnell and Vortex for 2 &3,USO #4.I have 2 friends that shoot 1000 bench,both have shot WRwith there 12-42x56 NF

Lots of nice choices brought up here. Looks like their is not a definitive answer to " What is the best scope on the market PERIOD? ". I have to say most of us knew that would happen! A very personal choice. I do really like that Arc-Riser. Yes your statistic is right on the money. I have the good fortune of living a stones throw away from Camp Perry. I am there with friends every year. You see some nice S&B product. Big glass but welcome in HP!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.