Burris Eliminator III best game scope on the market?

toddc

I have been using one of these for 2 yrs.
I started LRH in 1980 or so and have lived on shortgrass plains most of my life. We shoot long.
I started my LRH career with a 264 WM and a Shepherd scope if that dates me.
I progressed thru the DOPE book, laptop, PDA and now phone apps for data.
Rangefinding went from counting fence posts and section lines, to a Barr and Stroud optical, to a shortrange laser, to the units available now.
Now with the Burris I have a system that involves pointing the rifle, pushing a button(Much easier to laze than a handheld), hold wind and fire.
This happens MUCH FASTER than any other system currently in common use. Once I sight a target I get on the gun and stay on it. No switching from laser, to app, to gun. Just BOOM.
I can run 10 pieces of steel from 600-1200 by myself in the time it takes a 2 man team either dialing or holding reticle, to shoot 5 pieces.
The glass is midgrade at best but it is adequate in 99% of shots and makes up for that thousands of times over, with its other attributes. Max range is around 1200 which covers 99% of situations.

The hunting I have done with it has shown me a huge increase in KILLABLE game.

Yeah electronics can fail, the wind is still blowing but this scope takes 75% of the issues in LRH and reduces them to NOTHING. Your scope may have better glass, more consistent tracking and be more bulletproof, but this system will shoot rings around anything I have ever seen ON GAME. And it's pretty nasty on steel if time is an issue.

When is NF, SB and Vortex going to help us out and evolve this market? Many of us won't put up with the glass and bulk of this Burris unit which is too bad because the concept is a HUGE leap for LRH.

If you haven't used one of these things, find one and use it a little before you discount it. It's an incredibly capable system that in my opinion puts a NF ATACR, G7 and ballistic app in the same spot as a Shepherd scope is right now. BOLD STATEMENT yet I am 100% positive that no one who has used one extensively will disagree.

Are scopes like this the future of LRH? I think they are. Scares me that it will cause yahoos to do things they aren't qualified to do but technology is causing that anyway.

SHOULD this be the future of LRH? And how long before us old school guys embrace it? Who won't try one because they feel they don't need it? I remember the resistance to switching from dope to a correctly tweaked program. Still a lot of guys who are dope book only, WHY?

And Bigngreen I know what you are saying. I spent a lot of time before I decided to give one a shot. The glass is MEH, the mounting system scares me (I used 6 clamps on mine), the build quality is MEH, but the technology makes me overlook these issues. What specifically would make you turn down a $1500 free scope?

I'm into shooting based on real numbers, I still end up pulling out a wind meter with them so I can get a better quality solution with no range limitation and use a better optic for the same money. Maybe on a dedicated coyote gun that is not for long range I could dig it but for hunting no thanks!

I'm into shooting based on real numbers, I still end up pulling out a wind meter with them so I can get a better quality solution with no range limitation and use a better optic for the same money. Maybe on a dedicated coyote gun that is not for long range I could dig it but for hunting no thanks!
Of course the wind is there. Always will be. Thing is with a Burris IT"S ALL THERE IS. Wind.
Yes it is a yote slaying monster. Mines on an AR-10 Creed and is perfect for that situation.
I would say that any rig that is a multiple yote killing rig will outrun a handheld laser+app+dial or hold setup on the planet on game. Yes it's limited to 1200 ML internally but if you have a further shot, it can be done old school.
It's UGLY, glass hurts my eyes, but it is the future. When will the REAL glass companies make the leap is the question. It is coming. I was around when using a computer to call a shot was considered CRAZY.
30 yrs from now guys like us on a forum will be telling kids how we used to have to LAZE a target, calc a shot on an app or dope, dial or hold solution to make a hit at 1200. They will think we are telling BS stories about how bad we had it back in the day.

Agree, and it's not legal for big game use here in MT.

Can you show where in the MT regs it would be illegal to use one?

The regs does NOT/never did addressed it and for that reason I asked the LE side of the FWP in Region 4. The response I got was basically the same as Idaho's ...

RF_zpsktqgqnin.jpg

It has been a couple of years ago when I asked and perhaps I should re-engage and she if there's any update.

You missed an opportunity to educate a miss informed LE, we go through this every few years, they can not ticket you based on an other states regs nor a personal choice, it's flat out not in the regs and it's not even close to being able to interpret the regs as these being illegal same with a lite reticle. I've been to the top of fwp twice about this. Mounted on a bow, illegal rifle is wide open as long as there is no projected light.

You missed an opportunity to educate a miss informed LE, we go through this every few years, they can not ticket you based on an other states regs nor a personal choice, it's flat out not in the regs and it's not even close to being able to interpret the regs as these being illegal same with a lite reticle. I've been to the top of fwp twice about this. Mounted on a bow, illegal rifle is wide open as long as there is no projected light.

You missed my point, I never said they used other state's reg, I simply used it as an example because it's similar to what I was told at the time. Again, it was a couple of years ago or so and unlike you, I am in no position to educate anybody esp. an LE when they are my primary source of the information I am seeking esp. when I do not have any facts to prove it.

My query actually started with lighted reticle or projected lighting and they explained that well as you noted above.

ADDED:

I just got off the phone with game warden Brett Logan and he did clarify light projection that might have led to misinterpretation that was provided to me at the time. The invisible (to our eyes) beam that RFs uses is OK, in other words (his), if you stick your hand in front of the scope and you do not see light projected, you're OK.

The bottom-line, when in doubt, ask, double check, follow-up, etc ... with proper authorities ... end-user's has that ultimate responsibility.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Last I checked the Eliminators didn't adjust for atmospheric conditions, which makes it good only out to 500 yards or so. Has this changed?

Scot E.

Last I checked the Eliminators didn't adjust for atmospheric conditions, which makes it good only out to 500 yards or so. Has this changed?

Scot E.
No. That is supposedly the next step. I just fudge it in the scope. Takes 10 seconds if there is an atmospheric swing. I keep it fudged instead of trying to do it if game is sighted.
You still have to think to use this system. Just a lot less and a lot faster.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.