What is the best tasting deer species

I do my deer as ground, cubed steak, and roast. We prefer not to add any fat to the meat while processing it, but add it when cooking it if needed. My wife and I will finish processing our deer tomorrow. I started processing my own when it crossed my mind that I didn't know if I got my deer back from the processor, and how the meat was taken care of. After a few seasons my grinder and cuber had paid for themselves. Now if the meat hasn't been treated correctly then it is my fault.👍
I've known the guy who processes my meat for thirty five years. His is top rate,and the buck my high fence friend killed went to him. I get vey little fat added, just enough to make a good patty for burgers on the grill. The buck he killed scored north of 330 inches. I can only guess what it cost him.

I've known the guy who processes my meat for thirty five years. His is top rate,and the buck my high fence friend killed went to him. I get vey little fat added, just enough to make a good patty for burgers on the grill.
It makes it nice when you get to know your processor that long. For me the only processor close to me closed up about 6 months ago. If I make burgers I add in ground beef to make them stick. I made burgers once and forgot to add the beef in to the mix, I'll that worked as well as shoveling sand with a fork.

Mule deer are browsers. Sage, tumbleweeds, buckbrush, manzanita, juniper, palo verde beans, etc.
Coues are grazers and browsers.
Elk are grazers. Grasses, so that really helps with the meat taste.
I see eastern whitetails eating field fare like farm food. That has to help with the taste.

But, I think how fast you get them cleaned and cooled, and how long you age them REALLY helps with taste. I have eaten gamey venison. Mine has never been gamey. Even some rutting bucks and bulls

A close friend of mine on this forum processes my venison with his and it is meticulous. I also invested in a tenderizer/cuber and it's amazing! Marinate in refrigerator for a few days, run it thru tenderizer/cuber a few times and ready to hit the cast iron. No dip or flour. Treated olive oil in my cast iron skillet and it's cooked in a few minutes. Delicious. Think I'll cook some more this week! Great off season subject OP!

Mule deer are browsers. Sage, tumbleweeds, buckbrush, manzanita, juniper, palo verde beans, etc.
I see eastern whitetails eating field fare like farm food. That has to help with the taste.

But, I think how fast you get them cleaned and cooled, and how long you age them REALLY helps with taste. I have eaten gamey venison. Mine has never been gamey. Even some rutting bucks and bulls
Facts!

I have found that the more fat I trim off the game the less gamey they taste whether it is deer or pigs. And to bleed them

Recent Posts