What is going on?!?!?!?!?!

I have a 20" Bushmaster Chrome Lined 1:9 Twist A2 Upper. Replaced the front sight with a gas block so i can easily mount a 16 power scope on the flat top upper

I Dont have much experience w/ reloading for AR-15's, But Reload for Bolt Rifles with Great Success

My Best Group w/ 55 Grain Noslers @ 100 Yards is 1.5" [MOA & 1/2 Sucks!] This was with virgin winchester brass, cci br4 primers, 24.5 g H335. All other groups hotter were even worse... What am i doing wrong???

I have a 20" Bushmaster Chrome Lined 1:9 Twist A2 Upper. Replaced the front sight with a gas block so i can easily mount a 16 power scope on the flat top upper

I Dont have much experience w/ reloading for AR-15's, But Reload for Bolt Rifles with Great Success

My Best Group w/ 55 Grain Noslers @ 100 Yards is 1.5" [MOA & 1/2 Sucks!] This was with virgin winchester brass, cci br4 primers, 24.5 g H335. All other groups hotter were even worse... What am i doing wrong???

Try some other weights of bullets.

Some gas guns just dont like certain bullets .

Also gas port pressure is very important and different burn rate powder should be tried to get
the port pressure just right. I recommend if you are going to change the gas block buy the
adjustable model so you can tune the action to the load.

To much pressure and the bolt comes back hard and causes excessive ware.

To little and the bolt does not have enough energy to eject the spent brass or is just be sluggish.

Hope this helps.

J E CUSTOM

Sounds pretty normal for an AR---sorry but that is the short of it. Had a LB and well as Knights SR 15's and SR 25's that shot very well.

Sold all of mine when the price got stupid----the New Colt I will be getting. No pricing out on it yet but it should be a nice one in 7.62 finally.

How close to the lands do you load the bullets?? Some 223 chambers have a very long throat (like my HBAR), and the bullet may have a long jump to the rifling with magazine length loads. Also try 68/69 grain bullets with powders like 4895, 4064 and Varget. Try Rem 7 1/2 primers if you aren't using them.

Sounds pretty normal for an AR---sorry but that is the short of it. Had a LB and well as Knights SR 15's and SR 25's that shot very well.

Sold all of mine when the price got stupid----the New Colt I will be getting. No pricing out on it yet but it should be a nice one in 7.62 finally.

..I would tend to agree, , did you say you're not using a scope??

gunaddict62791,
Well it could be bullets, it could be powder, it could be brass and primer; it could be one or all of them and more; that's the nature of reloading for an AR type rifle...
Me'..., I broke the vicious cycle by getting lucky and hitting the right load for my AR's when I test them using 1-9 twist barrels.. as well as to hunt with.

I use; Winchester brass, CCI #41 Mil primers {which you should look into if your using a rifle with a floating firing pin} H335 [25.0grs] Sierra Game King 65gr SP BT for a vel's of 2950 fps from my M4'…, a "little" better in my 20" inch rifles. Seat them to the same length of the M855 cartridge. One tip'…, use a Lee Factory Crimp die on the load. Accuracy is stellar.
If this load doesn't shoot in my AR's, they are on the store counter the next day.
Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts