what is going on with primers ???

The same companies who make and sell ammo also sell primers, Federal, Remington, CCI, Winchester, and currently, their is a huge demand for ammo. Thus, most primer manufacturing has been diverted to those production lines. Couple this with increased demand for loading components from the smaller commercial and specialty ammo manufacturers along with the reloaders, and you now have a serious supply shortage.

I checked with one distributor, and I was informed that they had been instructed their primer order is delayed for "9 months". Some small ammo manufactures are allowing customers to ship privately owned primers directly to the company to complete their ammo orders, and others are advertizing to buy privately owned primers.

While many of us buy primers by the 10-20K per order and considerably more when a few of us combine or a shooting club makes a bulk purchase (250k or more), it is the demand for ammo that is the major drain on resources. Even small, private ammo reman-companies can consume 1MM primers a month.

Edit: As stated by others, smaller town shops may have a few left, and thru the years, one thing I do is advertise on Craigs List, Facebook, local free sales/swap pamphlets, etc for reloading supplies. Sometimes I hear nothing, but other times, I am surprised by someone who hasn't loaded in a couple of years and wants to empty their shop/garage etc. Then their are the gold mines of old ladies who are cleaning out their deceased husband's estate and "hobby room", and usually, these are "one price for all" deals. I keep what I want and sell the left overs.

Last edited:
90FB8374-CB00-4C21-8794-B493C7FA761A.jpeg
Friend turned me on to S&B primers, after looking for them think I might have better luck chasing Nessy or Sasquatch...
I run S&B primers in my 6.5 x 2 84 Norma ES went down considerably Although they are large rifle primers

Not too justify hoarding but primers more than other components cannot be sourced other than retail, i.e. brass can be reused and bullets could be cast. And primers have a longer shelf life than powder. Hence, if there is anything for which one should have a robust supply, IMHO its primers. Not necessarily a lifetime supply but enough to get one through a the increasingly common shortage cycles. And to boot they are very small and storage of large quantities is easy.

Now is probably the most volatile times in American history. During the Obuma administration, the combination of (supposedly) military contracts and panic buying, ammo and components were hard to find. Today, the pandemic and now compounded by the Biden/Harris team, I don't see any improvement on supplies until after the election. If Biden wins, there won't be any improvement and supplies will be in even more demand. The pandemic supposedly caused a reduction in manufacturing, but now they are supposed to be back to full production, but are struggling to catch up with demand. As far as hoarding, I think you are a fool if you don't stock up. If Biden wins, and the democrats have control of the house and the senate, they can tax public sale of ammo and components out of existence. For those that hoard to resell at huge profits, I hope that you rot in hell! Our only hope is to keep liberals out of the government. You can see what is happening today with the riots in our major cities. If they accomplish their goals, anarchy will reign and then the liberals will have the ammunition to outlaw public ownership of fire arms under the guise of restoring order. Then it will be just like the Nazis in Germany. It took twelve years to get rid of that scourge. If that happens, I don't see any good resolution. I believe that (God forbid) it will cause a revolution or civil war. I just hope that the people and the Government will come to their senses and restore law and order. GOOD LUCK, AMERICA!!!!

Primer compounds are more volatile than gunpowder ! When stocking up on primers, make sure you are storing them correctly especially against a fire .

Are primers made in the U.S.A. ?

Now is probably the most volatile times in American history. During the Obuma administration, the combination of (supposedly) military contracts and panic buying, ammo and components were hard to find. Today, the pandemic and now compounded by the Biden/Harris team, I don't see any improvement on supplies until after the election. If Biden wins, there won't be any improvement and supplies will be in even more demand. The pandemic supposedly caused a reduction in manufacturing, but now they are supposed to be back to full production, but are struggling to catch up with demand. As far as hoarding, I think you are a fool if you don't stock up. If Biden wins, and the democrats have control of the house and the senate, they can tax public sale of ammo and components out of existence. For those that hoard to resell at huge profits, I hope that you rot in hell! Our only hope is to keep liberals out of the government. You can see what is happening today with the riots in our major cities. If they accomplish their goals, anarchy will reign and then the liberals will have the ammunition to outlaw public ownership of fire arms under the guise of restoring order. Then it will be just like the Nazis in Germany. It took twelve years to get rid of that scourge. If that happens, I don't see any good resolution. I believe that (God forbid) it will cause a revolution or civil war. I just hope that the people and the Government will come to their senses and restore law and order. GOOD LUCK, AMERICA!!!!
Amen🙌🏻

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.