What is going on with this brass?

Remington messed with the primary extraction a few years ago and they've been needing the primary extraction retimed one nearly everyone I've seen, I did 5 new Rems in the last week that had zero primary.ary extraction new, between having the primary extraction fixed and the chamber polished it should fix a lot.

I looked at the primary extraction today and it looks like there is either very little or zero cam on cam contact before the bolt moves rearward and away from the action. Question, to test the cam to cam contact does the firing pin assembly need to be removed? If I push forward on the bolt as I rotate it open I get a little cam contact but only about half way back on the cam.

To answer some of the comments brought up above, I'm having this issue on both Remington and Hornady brass. The Hornady brass was new never fired and stuck on first firing. I full length size all my brass and after doing so all fired brass slides in without issue.

Based on the responses and what I'm seeing I think I have two issues. It looks like there is no bolt/action extraction cam contact and a rough chamber towards the back. The rough chamber requires extra effort to extract and the cams aren't helping.

Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated.

I looked at the primary extraction today and it looks like there is either very little or zero cam on cam contact before the bolt moves rearward and away from the action. Question, to test the cam to cam contact does the firing pin assembly need to be removed? If I push forward on the bolt as I rotate it open I get a little cam contact but only about half way back on the cam.

Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated.

It is difficult to test primary extracting with an empty chamber, cuz the bolt is not working against a fired case, so there is no primary extraction.

From what you describe by holding the bolt forward, it is adequate, if the chamber was good - send it to Remington... they will fix it

Primary extraction is easy to check, I remove the firing pin and put a feeler gauge between the front of the bolt handle and receiver to hold that spacing as I rotate the handle up and check how much it cams out. You also loose a little from the case head to the extractor. On these new action if you bolt handle is centered up or rear of center your missing primary, resetting the handle to .010 clearance on the front usually gets it done but that only solves one issue, Rem will not touch, fix or acknowledge the primary extraction issue though it's widely and well documented to have changed.

The rough chamber requires extra effort to extract and the cams aren't helping.
Surface profile of the chamber is not the root cause of extraction problems, and in itself, is not hurting a thing.
Aside from bolt timing, your problem is that on firing cases are left tightly against the chamber (rough or smooth), and you should be considering the implication of this given only once firing of brass.
It's considered a basic pressure problem. It doesn't mean by itself that your pressure is unsafe, but that you have a 'problem' at whatever PRESSURE you're at.
Remington will not lap nor polish your chamber. They won't mess with any of that.
They'll swap bolts and recommend lower pressure loading.

Unless Remington has changed the way they take care of their customers all I can say is good luck and hope you don't need your rifle back for a loooong time. :rolleyes:

...It's considered a basic pressure problem. It doesn't mean by itself that your pressure is unsafe, but that you have a 'problem' at whatever PRESSURE you're at.

If it's a pressure issue then there's more wrong with this rifle than thought. As mentioned in the initial post I'm having extraction problems with both factory loads and reloads.

Maybe it's just the photo angles and my eyes but I think the base section of the chamber looks out of line with the body and neck of the chamber . The extracted brass looks crooked in the pictures . If the chamber is a bit rough and not straight then a factory load could chamber easy but once fired hand on and resist extraction .
If brass came out of my rifles looking like that I would check for chamber quality issues first .

Figured I'd close the loop on this one in case someone in the future has the same issue. I decided to start small and work up so I cleaned up the back part of the chamber lightly with 400 then 800 grit. If this didn't work I was going to take it in. After doing so I was able to load the once fired brass that used to stick without issues. Took some rounds out to the range and flawless operation. Extraction was nice and no marks on the brass. Thanks for the help guys.

Figured I'd close the loop on this one in case someone in the future has the same issue. I decided to start small and work up so I cleaned up the back part of the chamber lightly with 400 then 800 grit. If this didn't work I was going to take it in. After doing so I was able to load the once fired brass that used to stick without issues. Took some rounds out to the range and flawless operation. Extraction was nice and no marks on the brass. Thanks for the help guys.

400 grit, wow!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.