What gun would you want if the SHTF?

I hate the idea of a one gun scenario, but one of the guns I would use and have in the 22 rimfire realm is my REM 572 pump or 552 auto. Unlike many 22s, they can shoot shorts, longs, LR, standards, quiet, and the pump will feed rat shot and CB.

Survival may depend on using available ammo, so that increases odds of ammo usage. Also, using quieter ammo has its place as needed.

If not one gun, then add a shorter single shot or pump shotguns with slings for fowl and larger game and defense. Although, many of us have taken a few deer with 22's.

Unless someone is prepared to stay put, considering more than 1 firearm and hundreds/thousands of rounds of ammunition is extremely impractical.

You simply cannot be mobile! The roads will become instantly an gigantic road closure. Even if the roads remain open for a short period of time……buying fuel is off of the table. To be mobile means…..on foot or horseback traveling with thousands of others with the same "FAILED" plan. If you live in/near a dense population base…..you're pretty much SOL, no matter the firearm (s) or how much ammo you have.

If ya are really concerned about a SHTF event and live in or near lots of people…..you really need to talk to a realtor! JMO memtb

Last edited:
Unless someone is prepared to stay put, considering more than 1 firearm and hundreds/thousands of rounds of ammunition is extremely impractical.

You simply cannot be mobile! If you live in/near a dense population base…..you're pretty much SOL, no matter the firearm (s) or how much ammo you have.

If ya are really concerned about a SHTF event and live in or near lots of people…..you really need to talk to a realtor! JMO memtb
Yep. The worst of the worst people that in the best of times have 0 regard for human life, become ruling warlords in very short order.

You simply cannot be mobile! The roads will become instantly an gigantic road closure. Even if the roads remain open for a short period of time……buying fuel is off of the table. To be mobile means…..on foot or horseback traveling with thousands of others with the same "FAILED" plan. If you live in/near a dense population base…..you're pretty much SOL, no matter the firearm (s) or how much ammo you have.

This^^^^

So many people have "a plan" that is no plan at all except "well I'm armed" (and I'll admit at this point in my life I'm one of them 🤣 - the difference is I know it and ain't kidding myself). Won't matter much. Beats being unarmed with no plan or preparation for sure, but if you don't have any plan for food, water, shelter, medicine/medical supplies, mobility, and your plan and your survival are contingent upon access to gasoline and a functional electrical grid…yeah having a gun is about the ONLY thing you've got going for you and I predict you die or find yourself "conquered" or worse soon enough.

The really funny thing to me is when, as you say, some folks consider themselves prepared for the apocalypse by virtue of having dozens of guns and tens of thousands of rounds of ammunition…and about one weeks worth of food supplies 🤣🤣🤦🏻🥴🤦🏻🥴. That's just hilarious to me. And they say well we can hunt food and grow food…if **** has actually hit the fan the first few weeks ain't gonna be a good time to be out hunting 🤣. Good grief people don't actually think about what this will all entail.

And I certainly see the value in having guns an ammo to arm more than just yourself, but a community, a militia. That makes sense under some circumstances. But if that's not why you're stocking up that much ammo….i heard it best from an old guy kind of dismissing or poking fun at a younger fella bragging about how much ammo he had saved for "the apocalypse"

"Boy if your plan is to survive enough firefights to actually need all that you're one hell of an optimist" 🤣.

Again, no other supplies or plan besides guns and ammo. I'm with the old guy on this assessment.

Can't have just one gun if you have the luxury of planning. I want a Ruger 10/22 to keep me fed, a reliable 12ga pump with an extended mag loaded with #4 buck for close in work and my 1911 in .45 just to be comfortable. Probably if you can have stainless you are better off because cleaning will end up being a luxury. If I'm stuck with whatever I can grab as I'm running out the door, then it's whatever I have the most ammo for. My go bag (backpack) has a 1911 and 24 full up 8rd mags.

Yep, I'll be covered clear-up to my "ash in butt", I mean up to my " "butt in ash"……never mind, it'll be ugly! 😁 memtb
Except I can't pay if I'm buried under twenty feet of ash.
Dont worry. We'll send out some killer front row pics before the cell towers go down!!!
Lots of pictures from other events. Locally St. Helens was interesting at the time, but I suspect if Yellowstone goes none of us make it.

Tax man might be among the first I impale on pike in the front yard. Should save on ammo keeping the other zombies out.

I was stationed at Ft. Lewis on May 18, 1980. I remember Mount St Helens very well. Care to buy a hunting cabin on Spirit lake? I moved to Alaska a few years later. Mt. Readout and Mt. Spur dumped ash all over us. I expect Yellowstone would be my last volcano eruption experience.
You've got to love Harry Trumans response. You can't out run the reaper.

You've got to love Harry Trumans response. You can't out run the reaper.
I remember him pointing at St Helens and saying "I ain't afraid of that mountain". It reminded me of some words of wit written by some scholar. He who stands his ground..... often gets his face rubbed in it. I have read many words of wisdom on bathroom walls.

My Glock Model 34 9mm with 115 FMJ's, my twelve gauge Mossberg 500 riot shotgun with extended tube and 00 Buck, my Wilson Combat 223 with 55 grain FMJ's and my MESA Arms 300 Win Mag with Nightforce scope for any long range shots I may need to facilitate. Not the rifle I would normally pick for my long range duties but ammo is pretty prevalent for the 300 Win mag so that's why it got the nod.
I love the shotgun with 00. But I don't care for your choice of FMJ for the 223 or the 9mm. Soft points for 223 and hollow points for the 9. I want to inflict damage if I need to shoot, not make a little hole the whole way through. FMJ's are located at the bottom of my ammo storage.

Recent Posts