What would you choose for a free gun

mike33

Im like a little kid in a candy store now. last sat. at a gun bash at my local VFD i won a gun and cant make up my mind what to pick. I can pick any gun up to $ 775.00. I currently have the following remington rifles:
223 - turkey and plinking
260-- model 7 i mainly hunt deer with
250 Savage classic- Ground hogs and deer
2- custom 257 whby's i harly ever use any more but long range cap.
currently building a 25 Bobcat ( 25 wsm )
Marlin 22 magnum
Savage 17 HMR
2 muzzle loaders
Any suggestions with what i have and my purpose what would you pick.
Mike

I think you've got your bases coverd in the quarter bore range and varmit rifles.So go BIG. Its fun. I think that you can get a .338 RUM for that price in an SPS or somthing better. I dont know US prices so dont really know whats available. If you cant go with something like that then I'd say a Savage in a 300 Win. or 7mm Rem. It seem that you own more than I do and probably have more experience than me but thats my $.02. Ohh, dont forget the .375's. dont think you'll get anything bigger than a .375 for around that price unless its single shot.

Comsidering a 22-250 rem 700 lv sp looks like a neat rifle. Im not really in to big bore have a friend who has killed 21 bull elk since 1978 with a 6mm x 284 up to 750 yards not to bad. Thinking of a high vel. groundhog gun to improve my long rande skills for the 1/4 bore.
Mike

Since you're not into big bores, but IMHO you are lacking in the elk rifle dept., I would go with a .280rem. Ackley if you can get it. Have a 'smith do the Ackley part later down the road if you can't. Something with at least a 24" barrel, and 26" would be better yet. You might also consider the 7-08.

Since you're not into big bores, but IMHO you are lacking in the elk rifle dept., I would go with a .280rem. Ackley if you can get it. Have a 'smith do the Ackley part later down the road if you can't. Something with at least a 24" barrel, and 26" would be better yet. You might also consider the 7-08.
The 280 ai has always been impressing to me.
mike

right up the road from you is e.r. shaw, bridgeville pa.
they make custom barrels, and rifles using savage actions.
they will build the 280 ackley for about what you have to spend.
call them, or email for a booklet of their products.

Im like a little kid in a candy store now. last sat. at a gun bash at my local VFD i won a gun and cant make up my mind what to pick. I can pick any gun up to $ 775.00. I currently have the following remington rifles:
223 - turkey and plinking
260-- model 7 i mainly hunt deer with
250 Savage classic- Ground hogs and deer
2- custom 257 whby's i harly ever use any more but long range cap.
currently building a 25 Bobcat ( 25 wsm )
Marlin 22 magnum
Savage 17 HMR
2 muzzle loaders
Any suggestions with what i have and my purpose what would you pick.
Mike
What you need my friend is a Remington 700 chambered in 300 winchester magnum. I have seen one hit a steel plate at one mile. Once you are done with that you need to hire me to come and help you shoot all them guns. I have cheep rates.

Mike,
If I were in your dilemma I'd sell one of the custom .257 Weatherby's, take that cash and add it to the $775 and get a Savage model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter. The chambering would either be .22-250 (1-9 or 1-12 twist) with the 1-9 twist to sling those heavier bullets, or the 6mmBR (1-8 or 1-12), again I'd choose the faster twist to sling the heavies. It comes with the HS Precision stock and the "target" AccuTrigger. Either one, I imagine would be incredible accurate and help you with your LR homework.
I'd also consider a Reming700 VLS in 6mmRem or .243Win. Both could be rechamber later to 6-284 if you liked. I'd shoot it first to see where it stood accuracy wise. Then, if it needed it, add an aftermarket trigger and free-float barrel and bed the action. JohnnyK.