What are the last 3 rifles you sold and why?

Forty-five years ago I was forced to sell my two all-time favorite rifles, because I had gotten sideways with the IRS and was concerned that they might come and take everything I had. Fortunately I found a good lawyer and was able to settle the dispute with the tax jackals. Both rifles were pre '64 Model 70 Winchesters, little used and in like new condition, one a .270 Winchester and the other (my favorite) a .257 Roberts.

Prior to that I had sold scores of rifles as I was a licensed FFL dealer, but the only rifle I have sold since was about ten years ago and again it was a Model 70 Winchester. A newer model, but control feed, Safari Grade .416 Remington magnum.

Wish I still had all three of those Model 70s but the .416 had to go due to a motorcycle accident that necessitated my having a reverse total shoulder replacement (rTSA) which features the ball of the joint attached to the scapula and the socket attach to the humerus. Doctor said that the prosthesis couldn't take heavy recoil and it could possibly even damage/fracture the scapula. Being severely right handed and with a strong right master eye I had no hope of shooting left handed, especially when shotgunning, I still shoot my Model 71 .348 Winchester and Henry 45-70 Gov't, but only with much reduced loads and wearing an EvoShield shooting shirt and pad.

Last three I sold?

1. AR15 I built in 6 ARC. Sold because I'm not really an AR guy. It was a shooter too. Belongs to a friend of mine now. Sold in part because I hate chasing brass.

2. Remington 700 BDL LH 30-06 Spr. I bought and never shot. Sold to a friend. Almost kept it since it was a lefty, but had another 700 LH in '06 that was a shooter.

3. Remington 700 LH 30-06 Spr., I sold to another friend. He wanted it so I sold it.

So far, no regrets on selling. I'm trying to down size, plus I have other guns that need my attention and it cost to feed all these kids. I'm really a handgun hunter at heart and do most of my deer hunting with a handgun of some sort so selling was easy.

I'll be able to focus more on the guns I have remaining (only have one more I would consider selling…) and need to wear the barrels outta some before I die.

Semi Custom Rem 700 22-250 AI to help fund my custom switch barrel rifle project and suppressor.
Howa 1500 Mini 300 BLK to fund a custom 300 BLK Barrel for my switch barrel
224 Grendel to help fund my 22 Creed brass, dies, and barrel for my switch barrel

Last edited:
I had an old Winchester 300 mag and an old Browning 12 GA auto loader with a 32 inch barrel. I loaned a cousin some money on them and he begged me to buy them back. As soon as he got them back he took them to the pawn shop. I was dumb.

I cringe when I say this , but when I was a young man working on a local gun shop, we purchased nearly brand-new used rifles back for two big reasons that stood out from all the others. # 1. The new gun owner went hunting for the first time and froze. It was cold , Feet were freezing it was uncomfortable , and he didn't even see a deer . so "This hunting thing is really stupid". Take the rifle back to the store and get 1/2 you money back and # 2 " My wife does not want a gun in the house." I'm not kidding boys . The guns were just fine , the scopes wire just fine, the guys who owned them, needed some work.

If trades count, I traded a Marlin 17HMR that was a really good shooter and an almost brand new Browning X-Bolt in 22-250 for a 6.5 Grendel AR (if I would've put it together it would've been quite expensive, the trigger alone was more than the 17HMR). I got the better end of that deal for sure.

If they don't count:

1. Then on consignment I sold a Savage 10 223 predator hunter, a really great shooting rifle but it was heavy and I didn't really need it.

2. Around the same time I sold a Weatherby Vanguard in 22-250, a Varmint Special. Again really heavy and it had a 1:14 twist, those two sales funded a new pistol and that X-Bolt that I traded off.

3. Before that I sold a Winchester 30-30 to a buddy that really wanted it and I could use the cash at the time, plus I didn't really have a need for a 30-30.

Last edited:
Added one to my list today.
Bergara HMR 7RM - Too heavy for my liking. I rarely pulled it out of the safe. Now I need to decide if I want another 7RM. Brass and dies say yes, but how many 7mm rifles does a man need?
All of them. Maybe not a Rem Mag but you definitely need more. I've been trying really hard for a while to fill every gap from 17-338 (I'd probably go higher now) and I keep ending up with more guns that are a 7mm variant instead.

Savage 270 Winchester -kicked like 2 mules savage model 99 in 250-3000 ( stupid f- ing bonehead !! ) long story but I will get it back !!
Kimber 1911 custom ( bigger stupid f-ing double bonehead move) can't get it back. Several others but they were trading material