What are the expected distance will you be shooting?

TexasSportsman

I worked at a large retail gun store twice in my life. The second time was last year. While helping people decide on equipment they'll ask which is the most accurate rifle we sell. Well all of the manufacturers markets and sells rifles that are capable of great accuracy out of the box due to improved manufacturing process. The other variable that some customers don't consider is the ammunition they pair with their rifles. They'll buy what they think is best but come right back when the rifle won't group. Its a process to pair the ammo with the rifle.

I have two Browning X-Bolts in .30-06 w/22" barrel and one Remington SPS Varmint .22-250 w/26" heavy barrel. I've known for years that some rifles are more accurate with one type of ammo than another. I am very pleased with the results using Hornady American Whitetail 150gr SP. I tried to zero using their SST but wasn't at all satisfied with the groups. Groups with the American Whitetail tightened up.

Both rifles have scopes with enough elevation to get out to 800 yards and more. What about the ammo? I quick call to Hornady satisfied my question. American Whitetail .30-06 150gr Interlock SP requires a minimum of 1800 fps to expand. Its good to 400 yards. The American Whitetail isn't as sexy as the ELD-X. But dead is dead whether you're using $19/box or $36/box ammo.

It became important when I bought the .22-250. I mounted a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15X44. I'll be shooting well beyond 100 yards. Federal told me that for most hunting situations the terminal velocity for most of their hunting ammo is 400 to 500 yards.

Unless you're distances are further then the ELD-X or custom ammo is the way to go.

When shooting steel plates then expansion shouldn't be a consideration. We want to hear the clang of a hit.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts