What’s your favorite hunting bullets for 6.5cm

jkesrnicla

Recently built a 6.5 and i absolutely love it for shooting steel targets, obviously haven't shot a deer with it yet.... so I'm currently shooting 140 eld match and 140sst with great success is the 140 eld a reliable deer bullet under 450yds? If not what's a better option?

Well, so far a 130 Accubond but I'll be trying a 143 ELD-X for some longer shots this fall. I've used 123 SSTs before as well (I like the fast light stuff) and they are quite effective too. The world is your oyster!

130 AR Hyb is what we use in my daughter's gun. It has killed quite a bit of big game. None of her deer, or her pronghorn has taken a single step.

Best accuracy for a hunting bullet out of my 6.5 CM is with Hornady 143 ELD-X.

Not bad for an AR-10 off a bipod.

d9r1Lo2.jpg

jBrOyx4.jpg

I have been using a 6.5 since 1964. Back then the Sierra 120gr for deer ( Muley's ) . In the 1990's started using the Barnes 120gr mono for deer . When they came out I switched to the 100gr copper mono. More than adequate for mature muley bucks ( 200 lb + ). Always a complete pass thru. Since I am mainly a meat hunter the fact that there was almost no blood shot meat was a huge plus. Also the Hammer brand 110 gr a fine choice also. It doesn't take a heavy bullet to put a deer, even a heavy bodied deer . Just proper shot placement. The overwhelming amount of deer I have taken has been under 200yds with a considerable number under 100yds. The copper mono's absolutely hold together at close range without the nasty blow up's that can come from a lead core bullet. even the bonded types. If the meat is a priority I highly recommend the copper mono whatever the brand.

The 130 Berger hunting has been great out of my 6.5x47 at 2950 FPS. Last season I switched to the 124 Hammer Hunter. For your range of 450 yds max I'd look at the 124 HH.

My neighbor has killed 9 elk with a 143 out of a creed. His results have been excellent with all but being 1 shot kills and DRT.

I like the 135 A tip a lot so that is what I am currently using.

my gun loves 120 nosler ballistic tips. Deer dont like them at all DRT... Caveat every deer ive shot has been under 300 yards. Antelope same thing dead right there but I did shoot one two years ago at 420 but they arent hard to kill...

There are so many choices. Lots of my buddies shoot 143gr with great success. I know it sucks but patience and trial and error will ultimately come up with the best shooting round with your gun and honestly accuracy is way more important then bullet selection...

Recently built a 6.5 and i absolutely love it for shooting steel targets, obviously haven't shot a deer with it yet.... so I'm currently shooting 140 eld match and 140sst with great success is the 140 eld a reliable deer bullet under 450yds? If not what's a better option?
Go with the 143 eldx and you won't be disappointed

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.