What’s the BEST down right there (DRT) loaded ammunition/bullet for whitetail/pronghorn in 6.5 Creedmoor?

If you want DRT out of that caliber with the game mentioned, look at Bergers factory ammo options, or HSM may make some ammo loaded with Bergers.

Last edited:
I'm not a reloader, so loaded ammunition recommendations would be great! However, if you have had great experiences with a certain bullet please share that as well, and I'll figure it out from there. For me I rank accuracy as my #1 priority, but DRT is a very close #2! I plan on using this ammo for whitetail and pronghorn primarily.

THANKS in advance for your help
Hornady hands down..I will tell you this.Watch it yourself if needed.ERIK Cortina on youtube went to Academy and bought several boxes of every brand ammo they had on the shelves in 6.5 Creedmoor and they shot it out of 2 different brand guns.The Hornady coinsistently out shot all the others in accuracy..The YouTube is under this 6.5 Needs-More- Factory Ammo Test...Id gomwith Hornady ELD-X and never look back. DEven an ELD-Mplaced right would dead as dead can be.
Good Luck

Last edited:
Thanks guys!! So far I've tried the following to test for accuracy:

1. Barnes with 120 ttsx
2. Hornady Superformance with 120 GMX
3. Choice Ammunition with 120 ttsx
4. Federal Premium - Trophy Copper 120
5. Winchester Deer Season - 125 XP

And #2 (.5inch group) and #5 (.65 inch group) have been the most accurate so far . I'm not as confident in the 120gr GMX as others I've read about, although it's been the most accurate I've shot.

Next coincidentally I have two (2) of the three (3) (#'s 2 & 3 below) loaded ammo's mentioned so far coming in the mail:

1. Norma Golden Target 143gr
2. Hornady 140gr ELD Match
3. Berger 135 gr classic hunter

I'm hopeful that after testing all of these I'll find the right combo of accuracy and DTE bullet. Am I missing any really good ones that I should try? Thanks!!
Out of your list, I purchased a couple of boxes to break-in and sight-in my rifle. They shot well, but please note that there might be differences in ammo manufacturer lot numbers. For instance, see below:

6C3w9ad.jpg

P26mJmR.jpg

19QUhZ4.jpg

3-shots at 200 yards with factory ammo Winchester deer season XP 125g extreme point lot# 44MC82.

Ic2vySw.jpg

I ran out of lot# 44MC82, so I had to shoot a different lot# 5-shots at 200 yards with factory ammo Winchester deer season XP 125g extreme point lot# 40NG71. It did not turn out as good but still ~1 MOA ... not too bad for a cheapy.

I was lucky enough to find a couple of boxes of lot# 44MC82. I harvested 2 WT doe with lot# 44MC82 at 200Y; both DRT. Good luck!

Ed

Thanks guys!! So far I've tried the following to test for accuracy:

1. Barnes with 120 ttsx
2. Hornady Superformance with 120 GMX
3. Choice Ammunition with 120 ttsx
4. Federal Premium - Trophy Copper 120
5. Winchester Deer Season - 125 XP

And #2 (.5inch group) and #5 (.65 inch group) have been the most accurate so far . I'm not as confident in the 120gr GMX as others I've read about, although it's been the most accurate I've shot.

Next coincidentally I have two (2) of the three (3) (#'s 2 & 3 below) loaded ammo's mentioned so far coming in the mail:

1. Norma Golden Target 143gr
2. Hornady 140gr ELD Match
3. Berger 135 gr classic hunter

I'm hopeful that after testing all of these I'll find the right combo of accuracy and DTE bullet. Am I missing any really good ones that I should try? Thanks!!
Superformance poppped primers when I was testing in a semi. I'd go with any of the hornady white box, that will be pretty close to what I reload.

I will suggest going to "Simple Minded Fellow" all one word site. Go to the 6.5 creedmoor play list and watch these bullets be shot from normal high velocity and some down to 1300 plus velocity with reduced loads. There are bullets that work reasonably well from 2800 plus to 1400 and less fps.
Federal makes some good bonded bullets but it's all in what you want or need.
Goodluck and enjoy the hunts and time spent.

Like Feenix above we have seen the same thing in 3 different 6.5s and the Deer season xp. The differences though are .6moa to 1.1 moa out to 600yds. I will also use the 120 amax and the 140 eldm out of the box if I had to. These have been exceptionally accurate for us so far. The 120 amax hovers around 5/8 inch for 10 shot 200 yd groups out of my prs rifle and just under an inch for 5 shots out of my old model 10 savage my buddy now owns and the same sub inch 5shots out of a 6.5 ACC remington we restocked into a boyds pro varmint. All 3 of these rifles have been great shooters with factory hornady ammo producing sub moa with everything tried from them.
The deer season xp was the very first factroy ammo I tried in a creedmoor. I let my cousin's son use the above model 10 for his first whitetail with the xp and it was a 20 yd tracking job with a liver shot

I'm not a reloader, so loaded ammunition recommendations would be great! However, if you have had great experiences with a certain bullet please share that as well, and I'll figure it out from there. For me I rank accuracy as my #1 priority, but DRT is a very close #2! I plan on using this ammo for whitetail and pronghorn primarily.

If you are shooting a Creeeedmore any bullet load should be a DRT load for any game!

I've had good luck with 130 gr Nosler AB out of my 260 Rem. You can shoot any bullet you want if you put it in the right place its DRT.

Learn to shoot well and throw Core-Lokt bullets at 'em.

The one you're most accurate with. The best DRT bullet is the one you put in the heart. Bullet construction won't make up for not hitting vitals.

Recent Posts