What’s the BEST down right there (DRT) loaded ammunition/bullet for whitetail/pronghorn in 6.5 Creedmoor?

I will add that my gold standard for many years was the 129g Hornady Sp. which is an old-school type of bullet. This bullet just performs on deer and hogs, and I was shooting this bullet at 3150 in a Model 70 Win in 264 WM,

The creed will not do 3150 that I was getting in the 264 WM, but will do 2900 in a decent-length barrel.

One of the best concerts I ever went to, 2nd row Market Square Arena. Blew my ears out for a couple days.....
Eddie was something special. Heck his dad and brother rocked their instruments of choice also. As far as ears bown out, I have tinnitus and I know at least some of it was do to concerts! I made a pastel drawing of 1984 in high school that took top prize in a local art contest. It got destroyed over the years as I just rolled it up. Just a very cool album cover print.

I will agree with accuracy and penetration being most important, but if a full metal jacket or thick jacket, hard bullet is used with a new shooter who hasn't experienced the adrenaline or excitement, along with a shot off by enough to miss a vital, you are in for tracking. Not to mention the purpose of a good bullet that mushrooms or breaks up to penetrate and cause damage to surrounding area of the bullet path, so as to cause faster exasperation of the animal. It's kinda like insurance on your vehicle. None of us exspect to have an accident, but it happens and sometimes even though we think we are great drivers who can avoid accidents, things happen. Sometimes we make mistakes, thing's don't function as expected or even inclement weather. Given that I have hunted the better part of 40 year's and lived life a while, I can say without doubt that the law of fubar happening at the most unopportunistic time is always lingering. Giving ones self any edge, (a good functioning bullet) is in my humble opinion an edge we all should take advantage of.

You sound like a bullet manufacturers ideal customer. You're perpetuating the half-truth that bullet construction can make up for bad shots. In reality, its far more nuanced than that, lots of variables, but the #1 being shot placement, not bullet construction. And THAT is why there are so many wounded animals each year, folks buy the bullet hype, and take shots they have no business taking.

And I say that as a guy whos, unfortunately, put a "well designed" hunting round a little high and into no-mans land on an animal and ended up with a pass through. No mythical hydrostatic shock placed on the spinal cord, no nothing, just a pass thru. First animal I've wounded and not retrieved in my life. Point being, there is no magic bullet...put it in the vitals or animals, especially tough elk tend to live.

Last edited by a moderator:
DRT is a function of velocity and shot placement. High shoulder, with a bullet that can make it through the first shoulder mostly intact, with enough left over to make it to the far side shoulder.

The faster the better.

In a 6.5 smaller than a 26 nosler... I'd say a 130 berger would be my choice for this. Maybe a 135 classic hunter.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Just my opinion here, but I think achieving a DRT shot is more about shot placement than anything else. In order to achieve a DRT you are going to have to disrupt the central nervous system. The best ways I understand to do this is to either break or shock the spinal cord. So to do this I would think you would want a bullet that is going to dump as much energy as possible into the animal and not have a pass through. From what I understand a Berger bullet and a high shoulder shot would be the best recipe. Either that or a light for caliber bullet traveling at warp speed.
This ^^^
To the OP,.. We kill, quite a few, Deer & Elk in My Family of, 4 Hunters with, multiple caliber, Rifles,.
Berger IS, Our #1 "Killer" Bullet
ELD-X's ARE,.. Our #2 Bullet, One or two, Hops,.. DRT
Both Tested, Repeatedly at, various Ranges and "Locations" on Animal,.. Boiler Room ( ELD-X's / Bergers ) and High Shoulder ( Berger Only ).

Last edited:
I went from the 129 grain sst to the 140grain SST because I could get them. Have not found the 129for over all most 2 years . I have loaded some of the the new 130cx can't wait to see how they shoot.

So, based on reading all of your input so far, my general conclusion is Berger or Hornady in several different flavors… I hope to test my next three (3) over the holiday break. They are:

1. Berger 135gr Classic Hunter
2. Hornady ELD Match in 140gr
3. Norma Golden Target 143gr

I promise to provide updates and target pics like I've done with my best two (2) performers so far. BTW I'm shooting a stock Franchi Momentum with a muzzle brake.

However, please keep all of the transparent constructive/respectful input coming! You are definitely shaping my next steps and I'm sure ultimately my final decision.

Thank you!!

So, based on reading all of your input so far, my general conclusion is Berger or Hornady in several different flavors… I hope to test my next three (3) over the holiday break. They are:

I promise to provide updates and target pics like I've done with my best two (2) performers so far. BTW I'm shooting a stock Franchi Momentum with a muzzle brake.

However, please keep all of the transparent constructive/respectful input coming! You are definitely shaping my next steps and I'm sure ultimately my final decision.

Thank you!!
Keep in mind, bullets that work for someone at 200 yards carrying a ton of speed won't necessarily have the same terminal performance when they hit at 80p yards and much slower velocity. Be sure to read I to bullet construction and pick one that's best for your intended use, yardage, velocities, etc.

Thank you!!
I've found the 135 to be the most consistently accurate and easy to load for bullet in my 6.5 rifles. This was my first year using them hunting. They performed well on 3 white tail, I'll be using them again.

I have a pasture to the east of the house, it's just over 1000yds to the east fence, about 450yds to the draw where there is a wallow the pigs have been tearing up. I have shot 2 different X-Bolt 6.5 Creedmoors, a Predator Hunter with a 22" barrel and a Hells Canyon Max Long Range with a 26" barrel.

I killed a bigish sow, probably 180-200lbs with the Predator Hunter using a 127gr LRX, a few days later I killed a bigger bachelor boar, probably close to 250-275lbs with the Hells Canyon using a 140gr Partion, the LRX broke both shoulders and left the premises, the Partion went right in the triangle below the ear and left the premises. The LRX exit hole was about 3", the Partion was the size of my fist. Neither pig moved once they hit the dirt.

I was happy with the results, but thought the LRX held together way better than I thought after destroying both shoulders. I was also a little surprised that the Partion did that much damage. I have never used the LRX up until this and don't know if that is normal.

I currently have the Predator Hunter zeroed with Federal Premium 130gr Terminal Ascent and the Hells Canyon zeroed with Berger 135gr Classic Hunters waiting on the next batch of pigs to come thru.

I wouldn't hesitate to use either the LRX or Partition, but I would lean heavily on the LRX just based on the rough analysis.

I may do a little necropsy on the next two. I have quite a few different factory 6.5 Creedmoor ammo options sitting on the work bench to try out.

I have a pasture to the east of the house, it's just over 1000yds to the east fence, about 450yds to the draw where there is a wallow the pigs have been tearing up. I have shot 2 different X-Bolt 6.5 Creedmoors, a Predator Hunter with a 22" barrel and a Hells Canyon Max Long Range with a 26" barrel.

I killed a bigish sow, probably 180-200lbs with the Predator Hunter using a 127gr LRX, a few days later I killed a bigger bachelor boar, probably close to 250-275lbs with the Hells Canyon using a 140gr Partion, the LRX broke both shoulders and left the premises, the Partion went right in the triangle below the ear and left the premises. The LRX exit hole was about 3", the Partion was the size of my fist. Neither pig moved once they hit the dirt.

I was happy with the results, but thought the LRX held together way better than I thought after destroying both shoulders. I was also a little surprised that the Partion did that much damage. I have never used the LRX up until this and don't know if that is normal.

I currently have the Predator Hunter zeroed with Federal Premium 130gr Terminal Ascent and the Hells Canyon zeroed with Berger 135gr Classic Hunters waiting on the next batch of pigs to come thru.

I wouldn't hesitate to use either the LRX or Partition, but I would lean heavily on the LRX just based on the rough analysis.

I may do a little necropsy on the next two. I have quite a few different factory 6.5 Creedmoor ammo options sitting on the work bench to try out.
Darryle, that's awesome!! I'm anxious to hear &/or see the results of your pig round-up bullet test!!!

You sound like a bullet manufacturers ideal customer. You're perpetuating the half-truth that bullet construction can make up for bad shots. In reality, its far more nuanced than that, lots of variables, but the #1 being shot placement, not bullet construction. And THAT is why there are so many wounded animals each year, folks buy the bullet hype, and take shots they have no business taking.

And I say that as a guy whos, unfortunately, put a "well designed" hunting round a little high and into no-mans land on an animal and ended up with a pass through. No mythical hydrostatic shock placed on the spinal cord, no nothing, just a pass thru. First animal I've wounded and not retrieved in my life. Point being, there is no magic bullet...put it in the vitals or animals, especially tough elk tend to live.
So a well placed full metal jacket does as well a "good cup in core soft point, bonded hollow point or good monolithic ? Sir I'm gonna have to call BS on that.

So a well placed full metal jacket does as well a "good cup in core soft point, bonded hollow point or good monolithic ? Sir I'm gonna have to call BS on that.
Hit the vitals and yes, they do. Call BS all you want, it matters not to me. Thousands of animals have been shot DRT with berger hybrids, for example. And before you call them a hollow point...they are "pointed" not hollow points.

Hit the vitals and yes, they do. Call BS all you want, it matters not to me. Thousands of animals have been shot DRT with berger hybrids, for example. And before you call them a hollow point...they are "pointed" not hollow points.
My friend uses that very bullet in 300 mag. I can assure you by actual kills and his pictures a Hybrid is no full metal jacket.