What’s the BEST down right there (DRT) loaded ammunition/bullet for whitetail/pronghorn in 6.5 Creedmoor?

rlshrumva

I'm not a reloader, so loaded ammunition recommendations would be great! However, if you have had great experiences with a certain bullet please share that as well, and I'll figure it out from there. For me I rank accuracy as my #1 priority, but DRT is a very close #2! I plan on using this ammo for whitetail and pronghorn primarily.

THANKS in advance for your help

Just my opinion here, but I think achieving a DRT shot is more about shot placement than anything else. In order to achieve a DRT you are going to have to disrupt the central nervous system. The best ways I understand to do this is to either break or shock the spinal cord. So to do this I would think you would want a bullet that is going to dump as much energy as possible into the animal and not have a pass through. From what I understand a Berger bullet and a high shoulder shot would be the best recipe. Either that or a light for caliber bullet traveling at warp speed.

Thanks guys!! So far I've tried the following to test for accuracy:

1. Barnes with 120 ttsx
2. Hornady Superformance with 120 GMX
3. Choice Ammunition with 120 ttsx
4. Federal Premium - Trophy Copper 120
5. Winchester Deer Season - 125 XP

And #2 (.5inch group) and #5 (.65 inch group) have been the most accurate so far . I'm not as confident in the 120gr GMX as others I've read about, although it's been the most accurate I've shot.

Next coincidentally I have two (2) of the three (3) (#'s 2 & 3 below) loaded ammo's mentioned so far coming in the mail:

1. Norma Golden Target 143gr
2. Hornady 140gr ELD Match
3. Berger 135 gr classic hunter

I'm hopeful that after testing all of these I'll find the right combo of accuracy and DTE bullet. Am I missing any really good ones that I should try? Thanks!!

Last edited: