What’s the best controlled expansion bullet?

Nosler Partitions & Accubonds, Speer GS, SGKs, Cutting Edge Raptor & Maximus when copper solids are required, and good old Rem Cor-Loks - all when used within their tested and specified velocities. I'm still trying to get a hold of Terminal Ascents to try out.

We are getting more and more sophisticated as hunters/shooters, with inexpensive chronographs, laser range finders, digital cameras to record results, ballistic apps etc. yet we still use terms like "long range, accurate, hard cast" all subject to interpretation. This does provide for long threads and hurt feelings.
Truly we live in the golden age of scopes, bullets, cartridges and good barrels. Enjoy it.

What have you found for your weight retention percentages on game animals?
When I say "best" I'm talking about reliable and consistent performance. Accurate when hand loaded, with enough velocity to expand at "hunting" distances. Let me know your bullet and cartridge of choice. Talking all western game here.
Cheers
When I transitioned from NP, NAB, NBT (long-time Nosler bullet user), etc., to Berger bullets in 2003, I stopped worrying about weight retention or pass-through. I have yet to lose a game -most are DRTs. While I use other bullets, Berger bullets are my go-to bullets of choice, like @lancetkenyon. I load them from .243 Win to .338 Thor (NMI), but the .300 WM remains my go-to chambering.

Berger bullets do not need to have a pass-through to be effective. One of the attributes I like is that it reduces the risk of shooting what is behind the target.

Last edited:
Couple years ago I switched to Terminal Ascent Federal .
Was lucky to buy 100 on Gun Broker.
Loading 155 gr with 667.5gr,RL26 very accurate 3100fps 7mmRem.
Cow elk at ranged 620 yds.

Accubonds and more recently Hornady CX has worked well for me.

On the list of what I wouldnt use are Nosler Partitions. They get a lot of praise, but Ive had failures on lightskinned game such as Antelope. For Western game as you were asking about, I think the Accubond would be the way to go.

Copy that. What have you found for your weight retention percentages on game animals?
I have only recovered three. All the rest exited.
6.5mm 130 OTM after passing through 18" of a big mule deer hard quartering away below us. Dropped at the shot without a single twitch. Lights out.

453 yds, MV 2900fps

Weight retension 53gr.

20191122_094041.jpg

Entrance between ribs
20191122_094443.jpg

Bullet found under offside skin in the neck.
20191122_095155.jpg

20191122_095201.jpg

.308" 215 Hyb on a broadside bull elk. Uphill @ 432 yds, 3113fps MV. Dropped, rolled once, kicked twice, done.
20161201_171627.jpg

IMG_0547_zps3jaiblmu.jpg

20161203_165457.jpg

20161203_182336.jpg

6mm 105 Hyb. 460 yds, 3188fps MV. Dropped at the shot, dead without a kick. Broke front leg going in, two ribs, stopped.under offside hide. Blew the hair off the backside.
20190819_112846.jpg

20190819_113623.jpg

For an all around bullet, I like the Interlock bullets. The base holds together well, they are inexpensive, good BC in the heavy weights, and I've had good accuracy shooting them in all sorts of different rifles. I like the idea of a lead fragmenting nose with solid base but I haven't seen that type of bullet have equal or better accuracy than conventional bullets. Maybe 'we' aren't there yet on the tech and fabrication methods. Besides, other bullet types like the NPT and Interlocks do the same thing, more or less. I don't consider plain cup and core bullets (smooth jacket to lead core) to be "controlled" expansion...unless you are using speed to control them. Also, one doesn't need a controlled expansion bullet to get the job done.

I have only recovered three. All the rest exited.
6.5mm 130 OTM after passing through 18" of a big mule deer hard quartering away below us. Dropped at the shot without a single twitch. Lights out.

453 yds, MV 2900fps

Weight retension 53gr.

View attachment 531430

Entrance between ribs
View attachment 531417
Bullet found under offside skin in the neck.
View attachment 531418
View attachment 531419

.308" 215 Hyb on a broadside bull elk. Uphill @ 432 yds, 3113fps MV. Dropped, rolled once, kicked twice, done.
View attachment 531433
View attachment 531434
View attachment 531436
View attachment 531437

6mm 105 Hyb. 460 yds, 3188fps MV. Dropped at the shot, dead without a kick. Broke front leg going in, two ribs, stopped.under offside hide. Blew the hair off the backside.
View attachment 531438
View attachment 531439
6.5 PRC?

Maybe it's just me, but I get tired of when someone shares their positive experience only to have someone else jump them and try to run their experience into the ground.

It's no different than Ford vs Chevy.
Yep
Attitude and approach can sure dissolve good data.
When a person is to emotionally invested in (or against) a product, they are automatically in a defensive/attack state of mind instead of having a teaching mentality, and they're likely to use flawed data from skewed sampling.

The older I get, the more I try to temper my words. If we were all settin around the camp fire having this discussion, I can guarantee the mood would be different than it is here, if not, some would be asked to leave.

OP, accubond is hard to beat, Lots of others also. Some of the solid coppers are also great. I'll leave other brands names out so some of the emotionally attached folks won't hate on me.