What’s happening? 22-250??

It kinda looks like he may have formed a doughnut at the neck/shoulder junction. The bullets look like they are seated pretty deep..........................

Nothing changed in my reloading process, this is fifth reload. Brass was Annealed every time?
Now tips ruined when seating?
Perhaps someone has already said it; looks like you're seating the bullet against your crimping process at the same time, back off the crimp until the bullet seats without the ring on the ojive. Other than that; you might check the size of your expander ball.

Perhaps someone has already said it; looks like you're seating the bullet against your crimping process at the same time, back off the crimp until the bullet seats without the ring on the ojive. Other than that; you might check the size of your expander ball.
That's what it looks like to me as well as the wrong seating stem

I have had this happen. The die was sticking and not floating. You took it apart and cleaned. If you run the die down too far it will do it again. Is the insert floating freely? When mine stuck it had a little burr on it, had to stone it off. Putting back together clean didn't work. It would just stick again and start doing the exact same thing as the picture. Pretty sure it isn't a brass problem guys. The sliding sleeve is a very close fit. Doesn't take much to get it to stick. Pretty sure I caused it with a brass shaving I didn't catch cleaning after trimming.

Last edited:
i dont beleive the redding competition seater die has a crimping function .. the sleeve may be too narrow for you out side neck measurement .. if thats the case , its gonna be on redding ..

if you are bottoming it out your not using it as intended

i dont beleive the redding competition seater die has a crimping function .. the sleeve may be too narrow for you out side neck measurement .. if thats the case , its gonna be on redding ..

if you are bottoming it out your not using it as intended
It can be adjusted properly and will do this if the sleeve sticks. same result as bottoming it out. I would bet money this is the problem.

Here's the seating stem .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 167
mabey while you have it dissambled for cleaning .. you can check if a sized case fits in the sleeve well .. see if there is any binding at the neck or tight fit

is the sizing operation done with the redding competition sizer and body die ??? or are you using a different sizer type ???

I think the same thing happened to me also with my 308 win. but it was much less dramatic. It was thirty years ago, but I'm sure it was related to the sleeve while putting it back together.