22-250 AI

Prairie Sasquatch

I just got my rifle back from the gunsmith. Had him install a 26" Bartlien 1:7.7 twist in 22-250 AI. I've got a bunch of 77 gr Sierra SMK's. For powder I've got a lot of H4350 and H4831.

Does anyone have some loads for these powders and expected velocity for this bullet?

I don't have experience with that combo, but Sierras app has some info.

H4350 (29.8 - 35.4)

IMG_3814.jpeg
IMG_3815.jpeg

H4831sc (32.1 - 39.5)
IMG_3813.jpeg
IMG_3816.jpeg

I have one, my powder choices are different to yours. I have found 760, Varget, H4350 and H4831 get about the same velocities and accuracy. My barrel is 32" 1:7" twist and is 1.250" to the muzzle.
The best groups I get are those used by starting with standard 22-250 data and working up. I run 77g Nosler Competition bullets in mine for short course F-class.
Hope this helps.

Cheers.

I shoot 53Vmax out of my slow twist AI, but out of my 8 twist 22creed(virtually the same as a 22-250ai), with 75 ELDM, I have found RL22 to be the best. I'd have to look at what my load is, but its over 40gr, if I remember correctly, @3500fps.

I built a .22-250 AI, purposed for predator hunting. 22" Bartlein 1:7, 3B contour, Rem 700 action, Magpul Hunter stock. It's a "budget build." I haven't tested the 77g Sierra bullets, but this rifle really likes 73 g Berger BT target bullets, and 42.5 g H 4831SC, for a MV of about 3250 fps (a modest load). I have shot steel out to 800 yards with excellent results, even in the wind! Just another option to consider.

Either of those will work. I run a heavy 26" 22-250AI in 1/8tw, and since I had a large supply of 4831 on hand, I developed a few loads with it using different bullets. With various 75gr's, I was reaching 3.400+fps with very good accuracy, and 3,300+fps with the 80gr versions. After a little experimentation, I found 7828SSC would easily push the 75's beyond 3,500fps and the 80's beyond the 3,400fps ranges with superb accuracy.

I had that rifle built with 1,000+yd targets/varmints in mind, and I have pushed the 80gr's out to the 1 mile mark.

I really like the choice of the 77 Sierra TIPPED MKs because they open and are explosive on furry critters. Shooting at paper for 5 shot groups at the back of the Club range, I have several groups under three inches. I have worn out two .250 AI barrels and have given another to a friend in Alaska. I still have two rifles in this caliber. It is hard to beat shooting at varmints in the wind. I find it is about at the recoil limit I can see the impact and make corrections. My experience is that a 7 twist barrel is better than a 7.5 or 8 twist for these bullets. The Barnes twist calculator agrees with me. Also a recent Bartlein interview by Eric Cortina, says that 5-R barrels do less damage to the jackets of these high velocity bullets going through a fast twist barrel.

Bases on the data and comments from the Benchrest shooters (places 1,2 and 5 in the 2023 all around National Championship) that share benches our club, the recent batches of H-4350 may be the best powder available above the H-4895, VV N-133 and LT-32 faster burn rate. Several shooters of note have told me more temperature consistent than Varget. Although I use Varget with 55 gr bullets in a slower twist.

I have experimented with VV N-550 and it is a screamer in this screamer in this chambering. An alternative is Alliant 2000-MR which burns noticeably cooler while still generating gas enough to push heavy for caliber bullets at fantastic velocities. Great for sage rat action at 300 yards and beyond. When I built my first .22-250 AI, McPhearson's article suggested Ramshot Hunter produced top velocities.

My 22-250 AI is a 1:7 twist and I have a super fast and accurate load for it, bit with 50 grain bullets. If you are not married to your heavier bullet I can share my load with you. PM me if you have interest.

Thanks for the info. This has been very helpful. Can't wait to get it dialed in for coyotes. I've been doing a lot of archery deer hunting lately and I'm finding coyotes all over this year. There's a good pack that's been howling in my backyard at night. As soon as the beans go down I'm going to start calling. Im usually pretty hard on them right around the house but they always seem to repopulate the next year.