22-250 AI

My 22-250 AI is a 1:7 twist and I have a super fast and accurate load for it, bit with 50 grain bullets. If you are not married to your heavier bullet I can share my load with you. PM me if you have interest.
I have two AR-15 .223 Rem, a Shilen and a Bear Creek, 24 inch 9 twist , when I want to shoot light bullets. I save the barrel burners for long bullets at extreme distance and windy conditions. Just out of curiosity, describe your 500 or 600 yard 5 shot groups with fifties?

I have two AR-15 .223 Rem, a Shilen and a Bear Creek, 24 inch 9 twist , when I want to shoot light bullets. I save the barrel burners for long bullets at extreme distance and windy conditions. Just out of curiosity, describe your 500 or 600 yard 5 shot groups with fifties?
I shoot in eastern NC where we do have big fields but predator hunting is done in smaller fields or down cut paths in the woods. My 500 yard groups hold at .5 Moa or better. At 100, it is basically one hole if I do my part.

Started fire forming brass with some 52 Hornady BTHP. First 3 round group after a little break in and getting scope dialed. This is a middle of the road 22-250 data load. I'm burning up some part bottles of old powder and misc .22 cal bullets to fire form 100 brass and everything is under an inch no matter what I feed it. I think it's gonna shoot pretty well once I get into serious load development.

Attachments

• 56B5B63D-A98C-4C8C-9B91-E73ABBC43D67.jpeg
    56B5B63D-A98C-4C8C-9B91-E73ABBC43D67.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 14
everything is under an inch no matter what I feed it.
That's the deal when you get a good barrel, makes life so much easier. What you're doing is basically the reason I built my 223 AI, to take partial component leftovers of whatever and send it. Now go get some dogs đź‘Ť

Because a 22-250 isn't over-bore enough.

Agreed, not nearly enough. That's why I got a 20-250 AI based the little case, and a 22 WSM for a bigger case.

Anyone wants a 20 WSSM? I have the reamer ordered and have started forming test brass from WSM to see what the process looks like. Just not sure the juice is going to be worth the squeeze when I have to shoot only monos after 400 rounds.

Either of those will work. I run a heavy 26" 22-250AI in 1/8tw, and since I had a large supply of 4831 on hand, I developed a few loads with it using different bullets. With various 75gr's, I was reaching 3.400+fps with very good accuracy, and 3,300+fps with the 80gr versions. After a little experimentation, I found 7828SSC would easily push the 75's beyond 3,500fps and the 80's beyond the 3,400fps ranges with superb accuracy.

I had that rifle built with 1,000+yd targets/varmints in mind, and I have pushed the 80gr's out to the 1 mile mark.

I'm trying to work up a load for my 22-250 1:7, have a ton of 7828SSC I'd like to build a load for. Have a plethora of bullets ranging from 62-90 grain various manufacturers and types. Can't seem to find min and max grains for any weight of bullet. However I do keep seeing people talking about it on various forums. Maybe you could lend a little help or point me in the right direction please

I'm trying to work up a load for my 22-250 1:7, have a ton of 7828SSC I'd like to build a load for. Have a plethora of bullets ranging from 62-90 grain various manufacturers and types. Can't seem to find min and max grains for any weight of bullet. However I do keep seeing people talking about it on various forums. Maybe you could lend a little help or point me in the right direction please

With 7828SSC and the 75's, I load 43.5gr, and for the 80s, I load 42gr or 42.5gr depending on bullet. Both will go higher, but these have produced excellent groups and low SD's in my rifles. These are in my 1/8" twist and my throat for long VLD's, and as always, start lower and work up in your rifle.

Last edited:

Recent Posts