.22-250 AI

Jerry Ricker

Anyone shooting a 22-250 AI? I'm about 300 rounds from replacing my barrel on my 22-250 and am considering converting to an Ackley. Anyone with pros or cons is welcome to comment.

I'm thinking over the same thing. My .22-250 is (over) due for freshening up too and a fast twist AI has it's attractions. I have a .30-06 AI and know the case forming drill, so, IMHO.

Pros (only two):
Greater capacity/velocity
Less case stretch

Cons:
Fireforming second-rate ammo (velocity-wise) to get brass wastes components and barrel life.
Factory ammo loses some velocity if fired instead (and brass has to come from someplace), so one needs two sets of drop data
Enhanced fouling due to larger charges of slower powders
Less barrel life (Gotta pay to play)

Even though I shoot several wildcats, I don't like fireforming in general. Fireforming takes on a whole new PIA factor when the performance increase is marginal, as with the .30-06 AI version. If you get 5 shots per case, then fireforming will be 15-20% of your barrel and brass life - gotta really be worth it . . .

I would like the aspect of heavy (75/77/80 grain) bullets at good velocity. I shoot quite a bit at longer ranges and seldom shoot my 12" twist/55 BTHP .22-250s beyond 500 yards, 400 if it's windy. The drop is just so bad with lighter bullets, even at high initial velocities, that range is drastically reduced. I've been shooting heavier (68/69 BTHP) bullets in a 20" AR15 and at 600 yards, they need half the wind my .22-250 with 55s.

Fouling with slow powders can be a huge PIA, and the carbon fouling sometimes requires desparate measures. I'm shooting Retumbo in a .243 behind 105 & 115 grain bullets and it needs to be JB'ed every few hundred rounds to keep the buildup under control.

Go with a regular 220 Swift. The 220 Swift and 22-250 AI are about the same in velocity performance, however, with the 220 Swift you will not have to fire form. I have a 220 Swift and it's a shooting machine.

Thanks a million for the insight guys, this info. is just what I was looking for. Case prep is not exactly the reason I handload. A friend is also trying to sway me toward the Swift, it's looking pretty good as long as I can maintain 1/4 MOA or better. Accuracy is essential!

I would go with the 22-250 ackley. My ackley's shoot almost as well fireforming as they do with the formed brass. Not much to forming the ackley cases, load up a "warm" 22-250 load and go hunt.

1Kyd30, my 220 Swift shoots in the .1's and .2's all day long. My best three shot group, at 100 yards, is currently .173, keep in mind this is custom built Swift shot with quality loaded ammo by yours truely. I shot this group with a 40grn V-MAX, with a muzzle velocity of 4350fps. Here are the specs if you are interested:

1. Remington SS Action, sleeved w/a Speedy Gonzales Sleeve
2. Lilja 28" 1.250 tappered to .920 at muzzle.
3. Holland Muzzle Brake
4. McMillan A-4 w/Adj Cheek piece and ADJ LOP
5. Jewell 2oz Trigger
6. Kelby 30mm Rings
7. Nightforce 5.5x22x56mm NXS

This rifle is my dedicated 300 to 500 yard varmint rig. My friend has a regular 22-250, and after he shot and saw the performance of my Swift, he is having a 220 Swift built as we speak. Trust me, if you go with the Swift, you will not regret it . If you want some load data, let me know.

Wildcat

The Nosler reloading manual has a really good writeup on the 22-250AI. I have been considering punching my 22-250 out. There is a fair amount of velocity to be gained due to the rather generous taper of the 250 case. I would think that the AI would stretch much less than a Swift which also has a fair amount of taper.
I use cornmeal over fast powder like Unique to fireform and get beautifully formed cases for my 3006AI.
One more consideration is that the 22-250 is on a standard bolt face whereas the Swift is not (I'm pretty sure on that, correct me if I'm wrong). Might come in handy if you chose to rebarrel to a different round.
Not bashing the Swift, just some thoughts.
Best of luck,
Sam

I built a tight necked 22-250 AI. At first during case prep, I regretted my choice, but after having fireformed a couple of hundred cases, I think I have a barrell lifetime supply. I have cases that have been neck sized and fired 7 times and are still holding up well. My best load is with the 50 Vmax and Varget. There is an accurate node at about 3600 fps and again at about 4020 fps. (1 in 1 twist)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.