22-250 Ai

north of 53

I live in Canada on the prairies and shoot 5 or 6
Well I am picking it up tomorrow. It has taken 12 weeks but my gun is ready. I had my model 788 22-250 re-barrelled. It has been chambered to a 22-250AI and has been given a 8-1 twist. I am hoping some one could help me with a few loads that might work with some 75 and 80 grain berger VLD bullets. Any help I could get so I don't have to start at ground zero to develop my loads would be appreciated. I have found that no matter what we try there seems to always be someone that has already tried it. I am hoping to find that someone.
As always thank you in advance for help anyone can give me with these or any other heavier 22 cal loads for 22-250AI.

I am so far in the sticks I have to call a travel agent to get to a 7- eleven, but the hunting is great.

I haven't tried the 75 & 80 grain Berger VLD's in my 22/250AI, but have tried the 75 grain Amax and 80 grain MK.

Reloader 22, Vihtavouri N165, and H4831sc are good powders with the 75 grain bullet weight, and I suggest starting at about 39.0 grains and work up to max. These powders could also be used with the 80 grain bullet.

Reloader 25, and H1000 worked well with the 80 grain MK in my 22/250AI, as the case had just enough capacity to allow both powders to reach near maximum pressure. I suggest working up from about 41.0 grains with either powder. Hope that the above helps. Brian.

I tried it out

I picked up my gun and gave it a try this past weekend. I was not overly impressed with what I could do at 100 yards. I was able to get 75 and 80 grain vlds under 1" but I was hoping for a little better. I am thinking that maybe I am just not as good as I should be a the 100 yard bench and its not the gun. I did move to a longer range and try it out at 400 yards and was able to get the 75 grain berger vlds inside 3" and almost down to 2.5 " so I was happy with that. What I really liked is that I was able to get the 75 grain moving at 3500 fps with RL 19 I had up 46.5 grains and it made for a compressed load moving over 3500. But at that load I was getting loose primer pockets after only 3 firings. I moved back to 45.3 grains and it seems to shoot well. The case is right full to the base of the neck with that load.
Question: I have been looking around at some other loads and it seems like I should not be able to use that much RL19 in that case with out having trouble. I worked my loads up very slowly and when I got what I thought were sings of pressure I backed off a little. The performance of the round at 400yards I felt was outstanding. So how much is too much and can it very a lot from gun to gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.