Weatherby's new 6.5 RPM cartridge

Where is it going to stop. Thirty years ago, "knowledgable" hunters criticized me for hunting deer with my 6.5 Rem Mag. And I'm a die hard 30-06 fan. My first 6.5 kill was done with a 100gr Factory Corelokt. It was not my first choice. I had been hunting coyotes prior to opening day and I did not have time to pick up my 30-06 at my folks house. One shot kill. Broad side through the rid cage. I killed many after that. All killed with 120gr bullets and all one shot kills with no tracking necessary. Corelokts until I ran out of them. One Speer(which blew up in the chest cavity) and the rest with Sierras which performed admirably. Now the 6.5 Creedmoor is touted as an elk cartridge. We also have the .264 Win, 6.5-.284, 6.5 SAUM, numerous other wildcats and now the 6.5 PRC. Do we need another 6.5?
The market will decide & it's fun to watch

This is an unexpected move by Weatherby, but I kind of like it. This case combined with their Ultra Lite rifle will be a great combo.

I was just thinking the other day about a lengthened 284 case for a project. I'm anxious to see the final dimensions on this.
Yea & the '06 case head is made to order for M700's and such!!

I'll keep my 6.5 Sherman. It has a 28" barrel but is running much faster than this new round from Weatherby.

I'll keep my 6.5 Sherman. It has a 28" barrel but is running much faster than this new round from Weatherby.

Also will be interesting to see how they throat it!

Hopefully, they have thought that through well enough to throat it to be able to properly seat the 150-160g bullets. Personally, I wouldn't want to waste this level of power shooting anything lighter than 140g. I will be taking a long look at this chambering, and a few others as I wait for another transitional twist barrel to re-barrel my 6.5/06.

I was wondering the same or about how much freebore it will have. Usually Weatherby has long freebore compared to others makes so they can get some of there top velocities out of there loads. If it is the same then it might only be a little faster then the PRS. I'm leaning more toward its something about like the 280AI necked to a 6.5 or just slightly more.

I'm curious about how they will market the new round. The rebated rim is throwing me off. But the price point and velocities of the ammo is makes some sense depending how they will market it, and how it will perform. Someone on here suggested that it will fit the niche between a CM and one of the magnums. If it does with good, or better than magnums, barrel life then it could draw some attention. Interesting. But I'm waiting to see when the major ammunition manufacturers hop on a different trend.

Ptg list reamers for 6.5 rpm, 7mm-6.5 rpm, and 30-6.5 rpm. Hope it takes off amd brass is good and not terribly priced. I really like the idea of a 7mm variant.

Because the forum is a lot more peaceful these days, let me stir the pot a little. :cool:

This is nothing new and they copied it from somebody else. For it to be successful, they need an awesome marketing team to hype it up. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, I like it ... another choice to choose from. Cheers!

Last edited:
Their marketing team had also better push the brass and ammo production or this is dead in the water. If they do plan on starting this out in the Mark V titanium action it might be sinking already. Too much money for an off the shelf rifle.