7mm/6.5 Weatherby RPM

I've been a proponent of this cartridge (the parent) since its introduction. Admittedly, however, I see a pattern. The 6.5 is ALMOST equal to the .264 Win Mag, the .338 is ALMOST equal to a .338 Win Mag, and a 7mm would be ALMOST equal to a 7mm Rem Mag. A .30 would be between a .300 SAUM/RCM and a .300 WSM in power (very narrow window), but nowhere near the .300 Win Mag.

IMHO, the parent case's best use would be to either neck to calibers where it could really fill a niche, like .257 or .35 OR it needs improving to take some of that insane amount of taper out. The latter seems more likely. You can increase this thing's capacity by a full 4 or 5 grains if you improved it to the max. It would then approximately equal the new 7mm PRC.

And for Heaven's sake, would SOMEBODY put a barrel of AT LEAST 26" on this thing to properly burn the slow powders it requires! It's like buying a Ferrari and filling it with regular gas!

For those of you smarter than me. If I took a normal long action 06 BDL and mounted a new barrel to run the RPM cartridge would the feed rails on the action need to be opened a bit to run the fatter round?
When I built mine I used a standard 700 Rem action and didn't have to modify it. Works slicker than snot.

If ya'll are still jawing on the 6.5RPM Brass necked up to 7mm I'd say a hard no. Donut, Cost, and availability. There are much more readily available Brass than the RPM that cost equal or far less. The 6.5RPM is a great hunting Cartridge and with the longer All Copper projectiles it still works handily. Now if you were to improve the case enough to absorb the Donut then that is another Cartridge altogether.

I, too, sometimes think that enough is enough and the rest is marketing hype to sell product of any kind. I have also come to the understanding that on this forum (and in other venues and disciplines of all sorts) there are folks who are seekers. Experimenting, asking questions, pushing limits regardless of the cost in time, money, exasperation and materials. These folks are the ones who keep coming up with new and better ideas to move technology forward.

If ya'll are still jawing on the 6.5RPM Brass necked up to 7mm I'd say a hard no. Donut, Cost, and availability. There are much more readily available Brass than the RPM that cost equal or far less. The 6.5RPM is a great hunting Cartridge and with the longer All Copper projectiles it still works handily. Now if you were to improve the case enough to absorb the Donut then that is another Cartridge altogether.
I haven't run into much of an issues with donuts and I've done a lot of playing with the case.

I will just reiterate what I already stated since this has turned into a longer thread than it should have been. The introduction of the 7 PRC killed any interest I had in a 7 RPM. Why they introduced the .338 version, which is ALMOST identical to the long standing .338 Win Mag is perplexing to me. Offering it in a .358 or necking it down to a .257 might have merit and offer a little more pragmatism than the current available lineup. I understand that going with a .257 RPM would put them in competition with themselves pitted against the .257 WBY. Advantages would be that it would shoot from a .30-06 action, and perhaps be less finicky to load for with MAYBE 200 shots worth of additional barrel life, and smoke a .25-06. I have a reamer and brass, but haven't convinced myself it's worth more money to do yet. If it held about 8 more grains of water, I think it would be an interesting option in 6.5, and maybe even .338. As it is, it's ALL marketing hype to sell the innovative rifles Weatherby is now building. They've caught the "Big Case Carbine" bug. You could honestly neck up a .325 (or .300) WSM to .338 and have a more potent and efficient cartridge.

I suspect there will be many a large deer species, bear, and African plains game fall to the RPM cartridges just because Weatherby has a large and loyal following and some folks just like to try something new. But IMHO, there isn't anything new or magical about the performance of these cartridges. The only thing different about them is the case itself. Ballistically, the 6.5 = the .264 Win Mag, the .338 = the .338 Win Mag, and the 7mm would = the 7mm Rem Mag or 7mm PRC. The case has certain attributes that could be perceived as "better" like longer necks vs their old belted counterparts, no belt like their old belted counterparts, and a rebated rim so they fit in a standard length/.473" bolt face action.

This last point would be the only compelling reason I could see to build one vs an older belted magnum with brass and ammo much easier and cheaper to come by: IF... you had a long action with .30-06 bolt face onhand that for whatever reason couldn't be machined or swapped to a magnum bolt face, and you wanted magnum performance or as much performance as you can get from a .473" bolt faced action, then the RPMs are your huckleberry! Otherwise, anyone choosing to build or buy one is doing so out of pure curiosity or are related to or work for the Weatherby family.

I will just reiterate what I already stated since this has turned into a longer thread than it should have been. The introduction of the 7 PRC killed any interest I had in a 7 RPM. Why they introduced the .338 version, which is ALMOST identical to the long standing .338 Win Mag is perplexing to me. Offering it in a .358 or necking it down to a .257 might have merit and offer a little more pragmatism than the current available lineup. I understand that going with a .257 RPM would put them in competition with themselves pitted against the .257 WBY. Advantages would be that it would shoot from a .30-06 action, and perhaps be less finicky to load for with MAYBE 200 shots worth of additional barrel life, and smoke a .25-06. I have a reamer and brass, but haven't convinced myself it's worth more money to do yet. If it held about 8 more grains of water, I think it would be an interesting option in 6.5, and maybe even .338. As it is, it's ALL marketing hype to sell the innovative rifles Weatherby is now building. They've caught the "Big Case Carbine" bug. You could honestly neck up a .325 (or .300) WSM to .338 and have a more potent and efficient cartridge.

I suspect there will be many a large deer species, bear, and African plains game fall to the RPM cartridges just because Weatherby has a large and loyal following and some folks just like to try something new. But IMHO, there isn't anything new or magical about the performance of these cartridges. The only thing different about them is the case itself. Ballistically, the 6.5 = the .264 Win Mag, the .338 = the .338 Win Mag, and the 7mm would = the 7mm Rem Mag or 7mm PRC. The case has certain attributes that could be perceived as "better" like longer necks vs their old belted counterparts, no belt like their old belted counterparts, and a rebated rim so they fit in a standard length/.473" bolt face action.

This last point would be the only compelling reason I could see to build one vs an older belted magnum with brass and ammo much easier and cheaper to come by: IF... you had a long action with .30-06 bolt face onhand that for whatever reason couldn't be machined or swapped to a magnum bolt face, and you wanted magnum performance or as much performance as you can get from a .473" bolt faced action, then the RPMs are your huckleberry! Otherwise, anyone choosing to build or buy one is doing so out of pure curiosity or are related to or work for the Weatherby family.
I built one in 35 caliber and really, the only reason was for an extra shell in my magazine since I hunt in Grizz country. Regardless of how hard I stomp it I'm still 150fps behind my 358 Norma. Still, a 250 gr 35 cal Nosler partition at 2900fps is potent medicine in anybodies book.

If I stumble onto an old Husky(either a 1980 Sears,or a newer Gustov in 30-06 or 270 ) I will build one!
Just because.
If you watch the Weatherby Web site sometimes you can buy once fired brass.
That is how I got started reloading for my 6.5 RPM

That earlier post should have said 1950 Sears.
But I noticed that Weatherby is making a plan jane MkV hunter.
Its about 1lbs heavier than the steel Backcountry and I think you can get one for under $1200
Not sure its chambered in 338 RPM yet

View attachment 226543
Here is what the case looks like now that the barrel has been bored to 8mm. It fires the Hammer Hunter at 3,054 feet per second. One can never redo the first three shots. They made a 1/4" group! I then fired two more and the group opened to 9/16". By the way when loaded like this one to fit the magazine there is .400" jump to the rifling. That is the only way I work up loads for my hunting rifle.
Hey Rich, wha weight bullet is that 8mm Hammer hunter?

Funny how weatherby states "magnum" in the rpm. Nothing magnum about it! Magnum in terms of a 7-08? .213" longer case body with .500" dia is far from magnum status. Still could be a good cartridge? .228" case body longer than the 6.5x284, but still no magnum. Have fun and hope it turns out good for you!
U r wrong it is a magnum in both capcity and performance