Weatherby 6.5/300, 6.5 RPM & 26 Nosler

Litehiker

These are screamer cartridges with virtually all velocities over 3,000 fps. Extremely flat shooting with a lot of foot-pounds of energy using bullets of 140 grains and over. And they are suitable for extreme long range hunting.

My "6.5 magnum" cartridge is the 6.5 PRC in a Browning X-Bolt.For me that is enough gun for all hoofed North American big game. I may be shooting long range at times but never extreme long range.

SO, How many out there are contemplating buying a rifle chambered in one of these big 6.5 magnum cartridges? And with what rifle/scope combo?

Eric B.

I think a 28 inch barrel 264 win mag with a 1 in 7.5 twist wouid do just as well .Its not blowing as much powder in the wind but it's still hauling out the front .I can make brass from 7 mm rem mag brass too which is Way easier to find and cheaper .I would like it in a weatherby accumark v with a break on the end for target shooting .

Im curious to see the RPM roll out and I guess a lesser expensive option would follow.I grew up on weatherbys,ran a 340 since I was 20,now its my sons.I dont have a 6.5 ,or might make a prc on a bighorn in a switch barrel or something

I feel the bullet weight is the restrictions on extreme long range hunting. I haven't run the ballistics on the 6.5x300 but I think there are better choices. When I read extreme LR shooting articles and videos, people in competitions are using much larger cartridges. I still think the 6.5x300 Weatheby is fine for hunting. I have a 6.5 SAUM in a 28" barrel getting about 3300 fps maxing it out. That burns far less powder than than the 6.5x300.

When I e-mailed Weatherby asking if they would produce the Mountain Ti in 6.5 PRC they responded "no", that the new Weatherby 6.5 RPM round was "better" than the 6.5 PRC.

Well, yeah, the 6.5 RPM is "better" in velocity but it requires a longer action, something I want to avoid.

Eric B.

When I e-mailed Weatherby asking if they would produce the Mountain Ti in 6.5 PRC they responded "no", that the new Weatherby 6.5 RPM round was "better" than the 6.5 PRC.

Well, yeah, the 6.5 RPM is "better" in velocity but it requires a longer action, something I want to avoid.

Eric B.

Do you want a shorter action for lightness? Or why?

These are screamer cartridges with virtually all velocities over 3,000 fps. Extremely flat shooting with a lot of foot-pounds of energy using bullets of 140 grains and over. And they are suitable for extreme long range hunting.

My "6.5 magnum" cartridge is the 6.5 PRC in a Browning X-Bolt.For me that is enough gun for all hoofed North American big game. I may be shooting long range at times but never extreme long range.

SO, How many out there are contemplating buying a rifle chambered in one of these big 6.5 magnum cartridges? And with what rifle/scope combo?

Eric B.

I plan on buying one soon Fierce CT Edge with a NF NX8 2.5-20x50. Legit everyday rifle that is as powerful as 7mm without the kick

Purchased a 26 Nosler / model 48.?Mounted a light P2 6 x 42 Schmidt Bender scope. Flat and powerfully but max ported brake required.

I bought a plain backcountry in 6.5 RPM,put a Leupold 4.5X14X40,30mm tube.Stiner Alu. rings.
The rifle is 5.3 lbs,scope 15oz,whole package about 6.8lbs and $2926.00 Founds some good deals from Buds Gun Shop and SportsOptics.com.The only complaint is ,the action is a little rough for a $2000+ rifle.