6.5 Weatherby RPM

I was interested in the 6.5 wsm myself. Seems like there was more people favorble to the 6.5 saum. 264 win mag had a spark rekindled a few years back but not so much interest anymore. Prc is all the rage and I have nothing against it other than I want to reach one of the possible nodes between 3100-3200 fps with 147s without wrecking cases. Thought about the 26 nosler but believe poor case fill could be a problem trying to run it throttled back. This rpm or the 264 win mag would get me to where I want to be. 6.5 saum is still in the back of my mind but I've wanted a 264 win mag for the past 10 years.

I have some input on the RPM vs the other 6.5's. I have 26 and 28 Noslers. They are in short box rifles. The 26 nosler has some top end performance way up there, 120 gr Barnes @ over3600 but for what. I re-chambered the 28 to 7mm Blaser Mag. Works great thru the 3.4 box and over 3100 with 168 Berger. I Necked it down to 6.5 and sent those samples to JGS Precision Tool. Reamer should ship tomorrow. I have a Mausingfield long action with all the components waiting on the reamer. I'm excited about this. With the RPM's Limited chambering and cartridge availability it will be a wildcat of sorts.
Blaser Brass is available from several shops and Dies will be available from Whidden. They made my Dies. I use Full Length Bushing for the 7 & 6.5 MM. The 6.5WSM has head-stamped brass from Bertrum. The 264 WM could well need the case head resized after two or three reloads. That is what turned me against the Belted cases. I think the 6.5 Blaser will hit the sweet spot between the 6.5 WSM and 26 Nosler.
I may be off point a little but sharing is a good thing.

I have some input on the RPM vs the other 6.5's. I have 26 and 28 Noslers. They are in short box rifles. The 26 nosler has some top end performance way up there, 120 gr Barnes @ over3600 but for what. I re-chambered the 28 to 7mm Blaser Mag. Works great thru the 3.4 box and over 3100 with 168 Berger. I Necked it down to 6.5 and sent those samples to JGS Precision Tool. Reamer should ship tomorrow. I have a Mausingfield long action with all the components waiting on the reamer. I'm excited about this. With the RPM's Limited chambering and cartridge availability it will be a wildcat of sorts.
Blaser Brass is available from several shops and Dies will be available from Whidden. They made my Dies. I use Full Length Bushing for the 7 & 6.5 MM. The 6.5WSM has head-stamped brass from Bertrum. The 264 WM could well need the case head resized after two or three reloads. That is what turned me against the Belted cases. I think the 6.5 Blaser will hit the sweet spot between the 6.5 WSM and 26 Nosler.
I may be off point a little but sharing is a good thing.

I'm one of the OG 7mm Blaser owners so naturally I am a fan and can't wait to hear of your 6.5 Blaser results. I've got a LA Rem 700 sitting on the shelf that is all blueprinted up and ready to build on and I keep thinking a 270 Blaser shooting the 170 Berger's would make for a nice 270 build, also.

View attachment 158665 Hmmm.

Weatherby has designed a brand-new cartridge the 6.5 RPM (Rebated Precision Magnum). It's a non-belted cartridge with little taper and a 35-degree shoulder. Initial loads include (from l.) 127-grain Barnes LRX, 140-grain Hornady InterLock and 140-grain Nosler AccuBond.

y5vHv6FHt8Z3SX2KA
You do realize that's what my initial post was right? Telling about the 6.5 RPM. Why are you retelling what's already been told?

Yeah, the 195 EOL are 1.64" long. That is why I will choose a 7mm Blaser Magnum over longer cases. The case is the perfect length 2.35" for 180 gr. ALCO, and Berger Hybrids, and 151 Warner Flatline solids at 1.53 to 1.56". I am sure I can get 2925-2950 fps out of the cartridge with 195 gr. EOL, but the 180 gr Alco RBTULD ST will hold in the wind better at a G7 of .430 B.C. and at 3050 fps it will outrun the heavy Bergers without any pressure easily.
Sounds like a nice concept... I built mine in 2014 and was just looking for a project to work on with the Berger bullets in a weatherby rifle that has been in the family for a while. I love weatherby actions, the consistent norma brass and was just looking for a bit more case capacity so it would shoot fast at a low pressure. I was building it for my own needs and wants, not to compare with others.
I have always thought that a perfect case would be a short mag 91 grain case capacity and a long thin walled neck... Too bad most of the people in the big game can't see the potential for a case like that built by a high end brass company. With the trend going towards high weight high bc you would think it would be a no brainer...
Weatherby ran the wrong way in my opinion. They should have built a gun and case around the high end heavy for caliber bullets instead of making a case run around a lighter shorter action.
They will have issues with short mag boxes with custom reloads.
6.5 is not an efficient long range cal...
And a rebated rim is just a nosler knock off...

Sounds like a nice concept... I built mine in 2014 and was just looking for a project to work on with the Berger bullets in a weatherby rifle that has been in the family for a while. I love weatherby actions, the consistent norma brass and was just looking for a bit more case capacity so it would shoot fast at a low pressure. I was building it for my own needs and wants, not to compare with others.
I have always thought that a perfect case would be a short mag 91 grain case capacity and a long thin walled neck... Too bad most of the people in the big game can't see the potential for a case like that built by a high end brass company. With the trend going towards high weight high bc you would think it would be a no brainer...
Weatherby ran the wrong way in my opinion. They should have built a gun and case around the high end heavy for caliber bullets instead of making a case run around a lighter shorter action.
They will have issues with short mag boxes with custom reloads.
6.5 is not an efficient long range cal...
And a rebated rim is just a nosler knock off...
I personally like 7mm the best but since I have 6 rifles in 284 cal, I decided on 264 cal. I already have a 30 cal. While I do think the 7mm beats the 6.5 in every way, the 6.5 is next behind 7mm & 30 cal for efficiency.

I do believe that wichester had a rebated case 50 years before nosler.
Rebated cases been around for a while. 35 Remington for example, I don't know how old 35 rem is but it's early 1900s I believe. I can't really say anything good or bad about rebated cases cause I haven't tinkered with any. It must not be too bad cause the 284 win has it's fair share of match wins.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.