Weatherby's new 6.5 RPM cartridge

If Weatherby were to use some aggressive smart marketing they would take advantage of the media generated by the new 6.5 RPM by selling all WBY cartridge reloading dies at reasonable prices and offer discounts for replacement barrels. They could also sell reloading components like brass and bullets. IMO - Establishing a marketing approach similar to Gunworks with online videos and shooting/hunting clinics around the country.

Building brand loyalty and reestablishing a quality image for their rifles they sell would go a long way in improving sales of expensive rifles.

Last edited:
I just did a 6.5 06ai. Would like to know case capacity. If it's sizable increase that cn create 150fps with talored lads over my AI I'd have it done when I need a new tube or set back

This is an awesome looking cartridge. I'm not jumping on the bandwagon or saying it's the next greatest thing, but it looks like a great design. I don't think it will really do anything spectacular that other cartridges don't already do. I love the .284 WIN case and all of the wildcats based around it. I thought up the idea of a .284 "Long" awhile ago, but it would be a near impossible cartridge to develop and have brass made for without having large funding or a company to back it.

I love this idea because it works on a standard long action, it doesn't have a belt (which doesn't hurt anything but is useless), it has a larger 0.500" body compared to the '06 and others at 0.473, it has a 35* shoulder and nothing weird or old school, doesn't require fireforming or custom dies because it's a SAAMI cartridge, and it will have factory supported ammo and rifles with SAAMI spec reamers that aren't proprietary or one off. The factory ammunition looks to be on the slower side to what it should be able to do with handloads. If it's truly the length of an '06 with the .284 body diameter, it should nearly duplicate the .264 Winchester, 7mm Rem Mag, and be right on the heels of a .300 Win Mag. I'm really interested in this cartridge. This is a big surprise to me coming from Weatherby though.

I'll also add, I hope Weatherby gets the SAAMI spec chamber throat right and doesn't make it excessively short or long. Nosler's new cartridges like the 28 and 30, have short SAAMI throats, so when building one you have to lengthen the throat if you plan running heavy for caliber, high BC bullets. This is the problem with the 6.5-284 Winchester/Norma. It's nearly impossible to have factory loaded ammo for that cartridge when there's so many variations of the chamber reamers. If Weatherby designs it correctly to keep the bearing surface of 140ish grain bullets in the neck and not the powder column, it will be perfect.

Last edited:
Where is it going to stop. Thirty years ago, "knowledgable" hunters criticized me for hunting deer with my 6.5 Rem Mag. And I'm a die hard 30-06 fan. My first 6.5 kill was done with a 100gr Factory Corelokt. It was not my first choice. I had been hunting coyotes prior to opening day and I did not have time to pick up my 30-06 at my folks house. One shot kill. Broad side through the rid cage. I killed many after that. All killed with 120gr bullets and all one shot kills with no tracking necessary. Corelokts until I ran out of them. One Speer(which blew up in the chest cavity) and the rest with Sierras which performed admirably. Now the 6.5 Creedmoor is touted as an elk cartridge. We also have the .264 Win, 6.5-.284, 6.5 SAUM, numerous other wildcats and now the 6.5 PRC. Do we need another 6.5?

morning, the glamor goes ON. what about take
the 264 mag. case and make an AI shoulder???
I thought about taking my spare wbee mag action
and making a 6.5x7mmwbee. then the dumbbell
hit me in the head. WHAT FOR????
how many 6.5's does it take to put meat
on the table? the 6.5 caliber is very good,
but so r other cartridges-calibers.
justme gbot tum

anyone pick up one of those field worn mark V's in 6.5-300? saw they were selling them for $2800--the web site still shows them, but they only had a few left as on June

This is an unexpected move by Weatherby, but I kind of like it. This case combined with their Ultra Lite rifle will be a great combo.

I was just thinking the other day about a lengthened 284 case for a project. I'm anxious to see the final dimensions on this.