Weatherby's new 6.5 RPM cartridge

I don't know. I like Weatherbys, but I don't understand why they wouldn't have just chambered that model for 6.5 PRC while it's gaining popularity. They already have a great Weatherby cartridge in the 6.5-300.

While this new cartridge doesn't give me the warm fuzzys or do anything that hasn't been done, I did get my hands on the rifle & it's incredible. Lightweight titanium action #1 or #2 contour fluted barrel & a new recoil pad with new technology. Price tag is going to be hefty though.

While this new cartridge doesn't give me the warm fuzzys or do anything that hasn't been done, I did get my hands on the rifle & it's incredible. Lightweight titanium action #1 or #2 contour fluted barrel & a new recoil pad with new technology. Price tag is going to be hefty though.

So what is the verdict on the case? is it a lengthened 6.5-284 or something new? The only other rebated rim case I can think of is 6.5-68 RWS case with the rim turned down to .473"

Anyone else having trouble getting on the Wby page? At home I kept getting re-directed to some twitterpated page that had nothing to do with Wby. Wanted to look over their whole line this morning and couldn't.

I don't know. I like Weatherbys, but I don't understand why they wouldn't have just chambered that model for 6.5 PRC while it's gaining popularity. They already have a great Weatherby cartridge in the 6.5-300.

Good points!
I think what Weatherby is doing here is creating a cartridge that bridges the gap in case capacity between a 6.5 PRC and 6.5-300. Yes, it does look very much like an extended 6.5-284 and thus would have a case capacity very close to a 264WM. (82 gr.) If so, this would be just a modern day take on the old 264WM.... Not really a bad idea.

The same thinking went into Hornady designing the 300PRC to be a modern alternative to the old 300WM.

I hope they find a good source of quality brass for this one. It should make for an awesome sheep gun and be easy to hand load with the current available powders out there.

Last edited:
Yuppers, just another flavour to add to the shelf,,, koodoos for them to give it a go in the flooded market of 65's.

The 65/300 still works since a reloader can reduce the charge to lesson the recoil and barrel wear,,, or go hot to topple the thick skins...

Kinds like my 65 A Square. Hot for hunting and tap it kool for predator control this winter...

Good luck for them to give it a go,,, the market is tight so they'll have their work cut out for them fore sure

So what is the verdict on the case? is it a lengthened 6.5-284 or something new? The only other rebated rim case I can think of is 6.5-68 RWS case with the rim turned down to .473"

I don't think this is based on the 6.5-68 S case. Dave Tooley did come up with a 6.5 BooBoo but it had around 93-94 grains of case capacity. I think this is just a stretched out 6.5-284. That would make good sense if Norma is still Weatherby's ammunition supplier. I believe it was Norma that first standardized the 6.5-284.

Last edited:
Good points!
I think what Weatherby is doing here is creating a cartridge that bridges the gap in case capacity between a 6.5 PRC and 6.5-300. Yes, it does look very much like an extended 6.5-284 and thus would have a case capacity very close to a 264WM. (82 gr.) If so, this would be just a modern day take on the old 264WM.... Not really a bad idea.

The same thinking went into Hornady designing the 300PRC to be a modern alternative to the old 300WM.

I hope they find a good source of quality brass for this one. It should make for an awesome sheep gun and be easy to handled with the current available powders out there.

I see what you mean and that makes more sense now. Looking at the 140gr Select figures posted by the OP, I couldn't figure out why I'd want the same MV I'm getting from the PRC (24" at 3000 FPS via 143 ELD-X) with a lower BC. But I suppose with extra case capacity at 82gr vs. what I've found for the 6.5 PRC at 62gr, there's room for improvement.

Anyone else having trouble getting on the Wby page? At home I kept getting re-directed to some twitterpated page that had nothing to do with Wby. Wanted to look over their whole line this morning and couldn't.
I couldn't get it to load either.

The 264 Wins with 26" barrels have never gave me any trouble in getting 3200 +\- over the years with 140's using Retumbo and similar. RL33 has been great as well.

I'd think if it matches the 264 Win in case capacity it'll be a monster on the mountain.

The 264 Wins with 26" barrels have never gave me any trouble in getting 3200 +\- over the years with 140's using Retumbo and similar. RL33 has been great as well.

I'd think if it matches the 264 Win in case capacity it'll be a monster on the mountain.
Or 3100 fps with VV570 and a 156 Berger!!