Weatherby's new 6.5 RPM cartridge

6-5.jpg

I heard they will announce it on Sept 1st on their web page-- will have to wait and see

I was just thinking the other day about a lengthened 284 case for a project. I'm anxious to see the final dimensions on this.

Did I miss the case volume?

Looking at the pics provided, it certainly looks like a stretched 284 case. My best guess for case length is around 2.55"-2.6" or roughly 25% more powder capacity over the 6.5-284 case. That is within a couple grains capacity of the 264 WM. It should easily beat the 6.5 PRC by about 150 fps and that translates to over 100-150 yards of extra effective range over the PRC.

6-5.jpg

I heard they will announce it on Sept 1st on their web page-- will have to wait and see

IMO This should make for a great goat/sheep gun....I like it!!

Last edited:
using measurement and extrapolation, the case looks to be right around 2.5"---my guess is a rebated rim, non-belted 264 win mag, but with the way weatherby does things, they will one up the 264wm by 50 fps or so- a new rebirth to the 264 wm now that 6.5 is so popular
I wonder if other rifle manufactures will chamber in this cartridge, or just weatherby

This is an unexpected move by Weatherby, but I kind of like it. This case combined with their Ultra Lite rifle will be a great combo.

I was just thinking the other day about a lengthened 284 case for a project. I'm anxious to see the final dimensions on this.
I think it will be awesome if they execute it right. It should perform a lot like the Sherman wildcats, but with factory support. Magnum punch in a standard long action.

I think it will be awesome if they execute it right. It should perform a lot like the Sherman wildcats, but with factory support. Magnum punch in a standard long action.
I like that they looked at their line up and put one between the Creedmore and the 6.5-300 WBY, solid idea but looking at those numbers it's not running with the 6.5 Sherman in any way.

I like that they looked at their line up and put one between the Creedmore and the 6.5-300 WBY, solid idea but looking at those numbers it's not running with the 6.5 Sherman in any way.
Well I mean that's factory ammo. The Creedmoor only runs 2700-2750 with factory 140-143s, but most reloads are 2800-2850. This is nearly the same length, similar neck length, shoulder angle, but has a bigger body. They show a 140 at 3075 in their factory loads, I don't see how 3200 wouldn't be possible. That's right with the 6.5 Sherman

Weatherby isn't known for leaving a lot of pressure on the table in their factory loads, for it to be barely faster than the PRC and significantly slower than the 6.5-300 WBY it's just making me wonder about the case capacity. Pictures are hard to gauge performance on.

Initially, I thought that too. But, you can't really compare the numbers between the two because the 6.5 Sherman is a handloaded wildcat round using some very tough RWS brass and the Sherman is loaded to very high pressures accuracy nodes that ammunition manufactures will never approach due to safety concerns.

Given the extra case capacity of the 6.5 RPM it should easily exceed the Sherman in performance.... IF the brass is of similar high quality and properly hand loaded in a similar fashion. Time will tell if that is the case here.... Good quality brass, that is widely available and sold at a fair price will be the key for the long term success of the 6.5 RPM.

Last edited:
Weatherby isn't known for leaving a lot of pressure on the table in their factory loads, for it to be barely faster than the PRC and significantly slower than the 6.5-300 WBY it's just making me wonder about the case capacity. Pictures are hard to gauge performance on.

True, but they're also not known for making squared shoulders and non-belted cartridges? Maybe this is a whole new page for them? Then again you start throwing numbers out close to their 6.5-300 and sales may start to drop off for it.

Initially, I thought that too. But, you can't really compare the numbers between the two because the 6.5 Sherman is a handloaded wildcat round using some very tough RWS brass and the Sherman is loaded to very high pressures accuracy nodes that ammunition manufactures will never approach due to safety concerns.

Given the extra case capacity of the 6.5 RPM it should easily exceed the Sherman in performance.... IF the brass is of similar high quality and properly hand loaded in a similar fashion. Time will tell if that is the case here.... Good quality brass, that is widely available and sold at a fair price will be the key for the long term success of the 6.5 RPM.

I've ran pressure tests on the 6.5 Sherman and it's running 63,000-65,000 for a lot of the load we run, Norma brass, if this new Weatherby is capable of being handloaded to the same velocity then that factory stuff is very, very down loaded. Personally I'd be looking for it to be in the 3250ish range just looking at the pics but until you see a case capacity it's hard to tell.

It's really a shame no big manufacturers have picked up on the Sherman cartridges. A 6.5 Sherman would have been perfect for Weatherby's desired package. Again, I'm a big fan of this, if it's truly a stretched .284, but the Sherman cartridges do deserve support from a major manufacturer.