Weatherby's new 6.5 RPM cartridge

If they don't keep the ammo prices and option of available brass for it,,, it will be a slow starter to fit it into the market...

Look at the options of other cartridges that are on the market,,, anywhere from $38 for 50 brass,,, $100+ for 100 quality peaces...

My used Lapua 30/06 brass valued in at $30 for 138 brass to neck down to 6.5 A-square,,, that's a barrel life time of it at 2880 ft-per seconds behind the 147 grain'ers boolitz...

Some folks wouldn't bat an eye at $200 Cnd funds for a box of 20 factory rounds,,, the 0.01 to 0.02% of folks that is... The larger portion of shooters won't bite. Even footing a $100 bill for 20 empty cases most likely won't fly either...

It looks like a up hill battle all the way,,, even if they reduce the cost of the ammo to get the rifle caliber / cartridge to market it will only fail once they jack the prices 2 or 3 years down the road...

A few threads will pop up on the form I'm sure,,, but the majority of shooters won't be jumping on the band wagon,,, kinda like my 65 A Square,,, maybe 7 or 10 of us lift running across the Americas,,, I'm sure I'm the only dude above the 49th parallel that is running one this year in the North... LOL...

I like the idea of the new Weatherby 65,,, the trick is marketing and keeping the cost in check...

Just my opinion only since I live a life of frugal,,, I see a 30/30 in my near future... LOL

It'll do just fine, they have zero reason to market anything in any way other than how they have built their business already, they don't market most of their stuff to the Savage axis crowd, they have a market already that they do very well in!!
That's true and even IF they don't introduce the round in the Vanguard at first, I bet they will soon. I believe Wea. will be more aggressive in their marketing in the future, moving out of a Communist State will be helpful, less taxes and therefore more flexibility for investment.

"Hello WeatherbyFan's

I see that there are some threads on the upcoming releases. I encourage you to check weatherby.com on the 3rd to see all the new offerings. Actually, it will go live just before midnight tonight (the 2nd) if you feeling like staying up late and checking it out. I can't tell you how excited I am personally about the whole new line up. Here are a few teasers for you Nation members...

1. All new Mark V's will come with a brand new "creep free" Triggertech trigger built specifically for the Mark V and is adjustable.
2. We have an all-new Accubrake (Accubrake ST) which is a slimline break and one that has more standard threads for suppressors.
3. We have several new models that feature carbon fiber stocks.
4. We have new carbon fiber barrels at a much more competitive price.
5. Our new Backcountry Ti features a Titanium action, carbon fiber stock, patent pending recoil pad, new Accubrake ST, etc... and comes in at under 5 lbs. (Oh and some of you may wonder why no Monte Carlo stock. We were able to save between 3-4 oz by eliminating the extra material needed).
6. We are launching a new cartridge, the 6.5 Wby RPM (rebated precision magnum). This new cartridge features our first ever straight walled, rebated rim cartridge. The whole premise was to maximize the Mark V 6 lug action. The bottom line is that it allows us to have a sub 5 lb rifle that harnesses magnum performance (1500 ft lbs of energy at 500 yards). This new cartridge will be great for either the Backcountry or even those that want it in another model for other shooting purposes. Also, for those of you wanting more cartridge introductions, don't worry...we have more to come over the next couple years
icon_smile.gif

7. Spiral fluted bolts
8. All new pricing (all models are priced to be quite competitive).

With the combination of the Backcountry Ti and the 6.5 Wby RPM we can honestly say that we have achieved the combination of the fastest and lightest rifle at a production price. This is an example of the innovation you will be seeing from Weatherby in the years to come. I hope you enjoy the new line up as much as we do!

All the best,

Adam Weatherby"

Last edited:
Because the forum is a lot more peaceful these days, let me stir the pot a little. :cool:

This is nothing new and they copied it from somebody else. For it to be successful, they need an awesome marketing team to hype it up. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, I like it ... another choice to choose from. Cheers!
I am guessing that this was directed at Mud - did he get banned?

About $3400 for the BC Ti or knock off another thousand but add another 6 ounces for the non-Ti version --- is weatherby thinking of increasing the rpm to 7mm?

Last edited: