Weatherby's new 6.5 RPM cartridge

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/...n=/digest/weatherby-mark-v-first-lite-review/

MSRP $2600 and no mention of the 6.5 RPM but it is in .257 also. 26 inch barrels in the magnums, 24 inch in others
the first-lite rifle has a #2 contour barrel and comes in in the 8 pound mark iirc, I also dont see it on their website anymore, so im guessing they tanked it in favor of their new lighter rifles--only firstlite I see on their site is a vanguard and for now the vanguard does not come in the new 6.5rpm

the backcountry comes with a #1 MODIFIED BARREL PROFILE--BUT IT IS THREADED---I wonder what thread size/pitch they are using?

Last edited:
Hello WeatherbyFan's

I see that there are some threads on the upcoming releases. I encourage you to check weatherby.com on the 3rd to see all the new offerings. Actually, it will go live just before midnight tonight (the 2nd) if you feeling like staying up late and checking it out. I can't tell you how excited I am personally about the whole new line up. Here are a few teasers for you Nation members...

1. All new Mark V's will come with a brand new "creep free" Triggertech trigger built specifically for the Mark V and is adjustable.
2. We have an all-new Accubrake (Accubrake ST) which is a slimline break and one that has more standard threads for suppressors.
3. We have several new models that feature carbon fiber stocks.
4. We have new carbon fiber barrels at a much more competitive price.
5. Our new Backcountry Ti features a Titanium action, carbon fiber stock, patent pending recoil pad, new Accubrake ST, etc... and comes in at under 5 lbs. (Oh and some of you may wonder why no Monte Carlo stock. We were able to save between 3-4 oz by eliminating the extra material needed).
6. We are launching a new cartridge, the 6.5 Wby RPM (rebated precision magnum). This new cartridge features our first ever straight walled, rebated rim cartridge. The whole premise was to maximize the Mark V 6 lug action. The bottom line is that it allows us to have a sub 5 lb rifle that harnesses magnum performance (1500 ft lbs of energy at 500 yards). This new cartridge will be great for either the Backcountry or even those that want it in another model for other shooting purposes. Also, for those of you wanting more cartridge introductions, don't worry...we have more to come over the next couple years
icon_smile.gif

7. Spiral fluted bolts
8. All new pricing (all models are priced to be quite competitive).

With the combination of the Backcountry Ti and the 6.5 Wby RPM we can honestly say that we have achieved the combination of the fastest and lightest rifle at a production price. This is an example of the innovation you will be seeing from Weatherby in the years to come. I hope you enjoy the new line up as much as we do!

All the best,

Adam Weatherby

The addition of the adjustable Triggertech is icing on the cake....BIG thumbs up!

1) Will we be able to access the custom shop for a 6.5 RPM build?
2) Are reloading dies available?
3) Magazine length for the 6.5 RPM?

Hey, if you have $3000 to spend on the Ti rifle what's another $500 for a hundred rounds of loaded WB cartridges?

IMO... What would be a really be a good promotion for the 6.5 RPM is to get the first 2 boxes of cartridges free with a WB rifle purchase and some discount coupons for WB swag gear.

264WM with a lemon twist.....fine the brass is the problem

I think there are a enough standard action owners out there that will be all over this cartridge's design. That alone will insure its limited success.

Weatherby also mentioned that they intend to do a couple other caliber versions. If they're smart they won't spoon feed the introduction over a couple years like Nosler did. They need to get these out of the gate quick and push them hard.

Their marketing team had also better push the brass and ammo production or this is dead in the water. If they do plan on starting this out in the Mark V titanium action it might be sinking already. Too much money for an off the shelf rifle.

I agree on the availability of brass and ammo. It does appear to be offered across the board on most of their Mark V line.

Last edited:
Did I miss the case volume?

Got off the phone with them a few minutes ago and this is what I was told.

Case Capacity for 6.5 Wby RPM = 81gr H20 (approximately) Not really sure why they added the "approximately" but those are Weatherby's words not mine.

Case length = 2.570

So it's longer than a 06 case and has a slight bit more case capacity than a 6.5 WSM but shoots 100-150fps slower than a 6.5 WSM. Not really sure what to make of their performance numbers, but if it really does have that kind of case capacity, it's not all that impressive, especially when compared to something like a 6.5-284 chambered in a long action will nearly mirror it and with a lot less case capacity.

Case Capacity for 6.5 Wby RPM = 81gr H20 (approximately) Not really sure why they added the "approximately" but those are Weatherby's words not mine.

Case length = 2.570

So it's longer than a 06 case and has a slight bit more case capacity than a 6.5 WSM but shoots 100-150fps slower than a 6.5 WSM. Not really sure what to make of their performance numbers, but if it really does have that kind of case capacity, it's not all that impressive, especially when compared to something like a 6.5-284 chambered in a long action will nearly mirror it and with a lot less case capacity.

So it looks like the case capacity of a 270 Wby with a standard bolt face. My 6.5-257 Wby is pushing 150gr Sierras over 3400fps. Do not know why Weatherby is underloading these cartridges...

Case length = 2.570

B23,
IT IS A 6.5-284....( I have the chamber print )... that is stretched out to 2.57"-2.58". It has 20% more powder capacity over the 6.5-284 and has the capability of being around 150 fps faster than the 6.5-284 with handholds given good brass.

Nuff said!

Well done Weatherby, very well done...