Weatherby's new 6.5 RPM cartridge

So it looks like the case capacity of a 270 Wby with a standard bolt face. My 6.5-257 Wby is pushing 150gr Sierras over 3400fps. Do not know why Weatherby is underloading these cartridges...

SAAMI lower pressure commercial loads with a shorter mag friendly COAL and 24" barrel. Same goes for all commercial ammo.

Not 100% sure ( no SAAMI print available yet ) but it looks like the throat is around .080"-.085"... Should work well with a 3.65" magwell. 140 gr class bullets should be no problem.

Does anyone one know the Weatherby magwell length for a Mark V?

Last edited:
Not 100% sure ( no SAAMI print available yet ) but it looks like the throat is around .080"-.085"... Should work well with a 3.65" maxwell. 140 gr class bullets should be no problem.

Does anyone one know the Weatherby magwell length for a Mark V?

About 3.4" for the 270 Wby class of cartridges...in a Mark V action.

I load the 150gr Sierras in my 6.5-257 Wby to about 3.52".

Last edited:
B23,
IT IS A 6.5-284....( I have the chamber print )... that is stretched out to 2.57"-2.58". It has 20% more powder capacity over the 6.5-284 and has the capability of being around 150 fps faster than the 6.5-284 with handholds given good brass.

Nuff said!

Well done Weatherby, very well done...

Got it, it's the same, but 20% different and shoots the 140 class bullets in factory ammo about 50fps faster. Indeed, well done Weatherby, Bravo. LOL

Got it, it's the same, but 20% different and shoots the 140 class bullets in factory ammo about 50fps faster. Indeed, well done Weatherby, Bravo. LOL

I can see someone couldn't do the math very well in school. LOL...

If an extra 13 grains of VV570 or Re33 doesn't get you an extra 150fps+, over a 6.5-284 then nothing will. But yeah, the factory loaded ammo is pretty lame...

That ultra-light Ti rifle would have been a much better seller if it were chambered in 6.5SAUM or 6.5PRC.
A lefty would be nice in a 4.9lb version.
That makes sense. But it's pretty cool that the guys with an old standard bolt, long action now have a viable rebarrel option...

I can see someone couldn't do the math very well in school. LOL...

If an extra 13 grains of VV570 or Re33 doesn't get you an extra 150fps+, over a 6.5-284 then nothing will. But yeah, the factory loaded ammo is pretty lame...

You're right, it's 59fps, not 50, my bad. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1001712557

What is weird to me, having had multiple different Weatherby's over the years, is their factory ammo is usually loaded plenty hot and this stuff seems to be loaded soft.

My experience with Weatherby's has always been their brass is the weak link and when you start to stand on the gas, the primer pockets loosen up. Maybe they're concerned the brass won't last if they stand on the gas and load this stuff to its potential.

Time will tell how warm you can reload the 6.5 RPM brass to. The 6.5 PRC factory Hornady ammunition is pretty tame too. With ADG in the PRC and Saum brass game you can now run some pretty stiff loads without major issues. It wasn't too long ago that the only option was Hornady.

Weatherby Fan,
Can you tell us where to get brass? I asked my local mom & pop store to try to get one of your new Back country Ti so I will need brass. Ben, at Hornady, is making a set of dies for me in his custom shop so I can start playing right away.

Not counting this 6.5 RPM, a look on Midways site and I came up with 88 other 6.5 chamberings in their dies that could be bought. Seems like a lot of wild caters have been playing with this bullet for years. Kind of comical just to see the names of some of them. Worth a look if you have the time. The 264 PMS might be one you don't want to mess with. How about a 6.5 x 223?

The performance numbers actually make sense if they're keeping a 3.400" OAL and a 24" barrel.

Weatherby said the RPM was designed specifically for their 6 lug action which is smaller than their standard Mk V. I'll bet that the smaller 6 lug action is just too small to use a .535" case head and this was the best way to hit that 3000 fps sweet spot within the limitations of the action. I think it's a great idea. Weatherby doesn't need to worry about other companies adopting their designs so they just came up with something that would work within the limitations of the actions they make. It's the same reason all of the Nosler rounds were designed around a 3.400" OAL in stead of a 3.600" length, that's just the limitation of the actions they use. Same with the SAUM cartridges from Rem working around their Model 7 action.