Wanting a new setup .300WM or like setup for Elk

I'd probably pic one of the newer cartridges if I was going to do a 30 magnum.
30 Nosler
300 prc.
The 30 prc is SAMMI spec'd with a 8 twist and throat lead more suited for long heavy bullets. You can spec out a win mag to do the same I guess, but for factory options I'd go with 300 prc.

I have always been a fan of the 300 win mag. The versatility is really great if you are a hand loader. Light to heavy, you can do it all. With that being said I know own a Winchester chambered in a 330 Dakota. Absolutely love it. Might be my imagination but the recoil seems less than on my than my 300 mag. Seems to be more of a push rather than the sharp crack. I would suggest put your hands on as many different rifles as you can before purchasing. See what feels good. What fits good. Then what you can afford. As stated before, "and I'm not wanting to start an argument here", bigger bullets don't make up for poor shooting but a bigger and heavier bullet is going to have more shock and cause more damage and have more penetration on a marginal shot than a lighter bullet. Better to have a caliber that will get the job done better if there is a marginal shot than having one that has to be a perfect shot. As we all know, there are no excuses for taking a poor shot but sometimes **** happens.

A 1000 yard rifle and an elk rifle, to me, have different requirements.

The 1000 yard rifle would get a heavy barrel and stock to reduce recoil. Extra weight is the last thing I want on my elk rifles.

As to cartridges for elk, the .300WM is a fine choice. Used a 7mm RM for 20+ years with not problems, got a .300WM to see what I was missing. The answer was "nothing". Still, I don't find the .300 recoil objectionable and I hunt elk with it every other year or so. Still use the 7mm RM and .30-06 rifles and all have taken elk equally well.

More important than your choice of cartridge is your ability to shoot the rifle you choose well. Chances are good you will take your elk at under 300 yards and very high that you will do so under 400 yards. In my 38 hears of hunting elk, I've taken exactly one a range beyond 411 yards. That one was at 487 and, while I used a .338WM, a .308 Win or .30-06 would have done the job. I've taken elk at 411, 400 and 350 but all the others have been under 300. If my rifles are shooting into an inch or so, they are more than accurate enough at 600, which is the limit of my regular practice.

If you want to buy a rifle for $2500, go for it. I once took a .30-06 elk hunting, first time it was in the field. Due to a slip in a boulder field, it looked worse after the trip than any of my other rifles with multiple dings in the stock and scratches on the barrel, action and scope. Plus, weather can suck with wet, so I'm going more and more stainless/synthetic. Something I don't care if it gets banged up a bit.
Excellent advice

New to the site, I thought I would reach out for some advice. I am about to go on my first Elk Hunt with a rifle, I have been several years with a bow but decided to book a hunt for second rifle in Colorado and looking to get a rifle ready for the October hunt. I was thinking a .300 WM and wanted to see what thoughts were on that or if I should consider something else. Second question would be for your opinion on best out of the box rifle these days for long range hunting. I was seriously considering the Christensen Mesa Long Range, Weathrby Mark V Accuamark, or a Bergara Premier. Or maybe there is a better option, I would like to be $2500 or less for the gun not including optics. I'm not going to shoot competitively but would like to have a good 1000 yard setup. Fairly experienced shooter, however new to the semi custom/custom market for a rifle and most of my rifle hunts in Missouri cap at 300 on whitetail so this is somewhat of a different need, we shoot out further but mostly just for fun.

Thanks in advance
Go light, just heavy enough to absorb some recoil. The 300 WM is a fine choice. Shot placement makes up for displacement horse power if you know what I mean. I've never tracked an elk after squeezing the trigger and never shot one inside of 300 yards. 280AI with 139 grain interlock at 439 yards, 300wm with 168 grain Berger at 310 yards and 338 Edge with 250 grain Sierra match king at 600 yards worked fine! Shoot shoot and shoot, know your rifle, the elk deserve a quick humane dispatch.

More good advice. If you can find a good used gun - and hopefully have someone check it out (no problems in the barrel, etc) - that also might be a good way to go. Hard to beat a Sako - or their "poor man's" version - the Tikka.

Browning stainless a-bolt, xbolt, or long range model. All fit your $ figure with extra change to put toward great premium optics. I prefer Zeiss and Swarovski but that's my opinion. 300 WM is awesome choice. Lots of premium ammo if you don't handload and can get it most places. I've never had a problem chambering belted mags And the 300 WM is one of my favorites. On side note, "out of the box" I can fit long bullet, handloaded rounds in my browning. I've never been able to fit them in Remington with out modifications

Tikka 300wsm

swap the bolt stop, grab some hells canyon armory mags and load it out as long as you need

New to the site, I thought I would reach out for some advice. I am about to go on my first Elk Hunt with a rifle, I have been several years with a bow but decided to book a hunt for second rifle in Colorado and looking to get a rifle ready for the October hunt. I was thinking a .300 WM and wanted to see what thoughts were on that or if I should consider something else. Second question would be for your opinion on best out of the box rifle these days for long range hunting. I was seriously considering the Christensen Mesa Long Range, Weathrby Mark V Accuamark, or a Bergara Premier. Or maybe there is a better option, I would like to be $2500 or less for the gun not including optics. I'm not going to shoot competitively but would like to have a good 1000 yard setup. Fairly experienced shooter, however new to the semi custom/custom market for a rifle and most of my rifle hunts in Missouri cap at 300 on whitetail so this is somewhat of a different need, we shoot out further but mostly just for fun.

Thanks in advance
If you're set on an off the shelf rifle, I'd take a look at the Seekins Havok Pro Hunter. It comes in multiple cartridges that will easily kill an elk at a 1000 yards if you do your job. The 300 WM is a great cartridge with lots of factory loadings that will be fine for elk. If you want to go to heavy for caliber bullets there are better standard chamber choices over the standard 300 WM but a standard 300 WM might be exactly what fits you. Do your research, decide what's important for your real shooting situations. Buy it fast practice times a wasting.

And last but not least don't cheap out on your scope.

Check out this utube on the X Bolt Pro Max long range - or whatever is the name for the newest - 2019 with the snthetic stock, adjustable cheek piece, etc.

Also, get a good detach tripod if you are using a horse for the scabbard. With the optics, rings,bases, sling, loaded ammo, you will make a 6 1/2-7lb gun turn into 10lbs easy!

Thanks in advance
300 is fine but also consider .338 see several custom builds for sale as people change up or just want something else and many have been shot very little. Either is fine for Elk but as the range increases I like the bigger bullet theory as not to lose animals. So many good bullets now that penetration is not a big deal but a bigger hole out far can help with the anchor....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts