Wanting a new setup .300WM or like setup for Elk

What rifles do yo have already? I only ask, because every year we get guys show up in our Elk camps from back east, with brand new rifles that they aren't familiar with. I've seen it cost guys an Elk many times, if you already have something you kill Deer with, say .270 or larger, considering using that instead.

Ok, with that out of the way.... I'd look at the Ridgeline, instead of the Mesa LR, if you like the Christensen rifles. That's a 10lb bare rifle, the Ridgleline will save you 3 lbs right off the bat.
I have several up to .270 and a .280 rem kind of wanting to add to the collection also. I will def be sending a lot down range before leaving Missouri to be very familiar with the rifle

I like the 300 win mag extremely well and don't think you can go wrong with that caliber for elk. There is a good amount of quality factory ammo plus if you reload there is a great choice of bullets. The 7mm rm would be another one to consider, lots of factory ammo available and some pretty darn good bullets if you reload. If you do reload there are a lot of 28 and 30 caliber rifles that would be great for elk. 28 and 30 nosler, 300 rum, 30 prc, 300 and 7 mm wsm and on and on. The advice given on watching the classified adds on this site is really good, there are a lot of nice rifles on this site for sale. For semi all ready built rifles Cooper, Christensen, Seekins, Fierce are some that come to mind. You will see positive and negative reviews on almost all of them. One thing to remember. Your scope and mounting system will be every bit as important as your rifle choice. Any excuse to look for a new rifle is a good one as far as I'm concerned. Good luck on your hunt for both a new rifle and your elk hunt. Be safe and have fun.

Well if your in the mood for a Elk hammer I might part with one of my 338's .
It's a Remington action with a 30 " Benchmark Carbon barrel , Mcmillian stock ,timney trigger and it loves the 300 gr bergers@ 2884 ft.per.sec.

It would be boring to you though , the load work is done !
Its 10.6 pounds With the Vx-3 6 x 20 x 50 on it right now .

Rum Man

If you dont intend to handload, stick with a 300WM. There are some gee-whiz cool new calibers out there but you'll play hell finding it on the shelf and when you do, the price may rock you. And it makes a difference if you need extra ammo in a pinch from a little town that has limited offerings.
Don't chase the hot caliber bunny down the rabbit hole.........

300 WM is a good choice. If you don't reload, there are many factory ammo choices. The main thing, is to practice a lot, prior to your trip.

I grew up with a trust old 30.06 - a sporterized 1903 - with a custom barrel, Timney trigger, etc and I never knew anything about all that (my dad's friend had customized it) - - just that it shot very good and anything you hit right with it was dead. :)
Back then we used a reliable 180 grain bullet - usually a Winchester and even Noslers - were popular - again - waaay back in Oregon.

Actually - in the thicker timber - I carried the .32 Winchester Special - model 94 - with round - silver tipped 170 grain bullets - and they worked just fine on about anything as well. :)
Having said that - a 300 WM gets you another 100+ yards for reliable Elk shooting - and take a look at the new Browning - X Bolt Pro - MSRP $1,300 - but might find them in gun shops for $`1,000 - $1,100. The have improved on their Hells Canyon model- a dang good shooter in it's own right - with a stiffer stock, very good barrels that are made in Japan (the rest is put together in Ogden, Utah), a good/adjustable trigger, and they take pride in having squared up actions. They also have a nice dual purpose swivel system, adjustable cheek piece, etc. A little luggy - at 8? lbs - but the heavy 26' barrel can deliver 1/2" - even ragged holes - when you find the right load. I am shopping for one in 6.5 Creed. :)

i'm in line with the previous posts that the 300WM would make a fine choice for elk and also seve well for other game at long range, should that be your desire. If long range hunting is your desire, I wouldn't go too light in weight. I use a Remington 700 Milspec with some upgrades to match my personal needs. Total cost without optics, under $2000. With a good scope and load, it leaves nothing to be desired for 1000+ yard hunting.
BA82DEA3-8F28-45CE-B110-B1B5DEBF4032.jpeg

I agree look at classifieds here.One my friends shoot factor sako finlight 300 wm,W ith swaro scope,dials to 1000.It holds well for a factory with his reloads. I think the distance of shot relates to your ability and terrain.Where I mainly hunted timber,on way up to timberline.With ridge running and shooting from bottom to top of ridge or over to a finger ridge.Most canyons to far 1-2 mile across.I was faced with 500 + yrd shots 20 years ago.Shot many elk in the 5-800 range. Felt like I was pushing limit on my 7mm and last 35+ been 340wby or larger 338
My buddy - who logs in Oregon when not hunting - loves his .340 Weaterb. He practices long range shooting as well - and took a Bull at 700 yards (one of 38 Elk he has taken over the years) - but maintains - you have to have perfect conditions to do that. He has a big safe full of rifles - including a .338 that he won at a Safari club raffle - but it is still in the box - as when he goes after Elk - he pulls out the .340.

i'm in line with the previous posts that the 300WM would make a fine choice for elk and also seve well for other game at long range, should that be your desire. If long range hunting is your desire, I wouldn't go too light in weight. I use a Remington 700 Milspec with some upgrades to match my personal needs. Total cost without optics, under $2000. With a good scope and load, it leaves nothing to be desired for 1000+ yard hunting.
View attachment 178906In the "good old days" - out of the box = Remingtons were probably the most accurate - and had good actions.

Unless you reload, 300 WM is probably your best option. I love my 300 RUM, but finding ammo, or even some components here lately, has started to be an issue. Personally, I would not spend an exorbitant amount on the rifle itself. There's a lot of great choices out there in the 1000.00 range and under. Get a good trigger and stock of your choice, and spend the rest on quality optics.

I've shot mine with a 300 weatherby, but any 30 caliber will do.. practice. I practice out to 500 yards My scope has a dial up elevation knob so with a good range finder, it's very capable out to 600 yards, which is a far as I care to shoot, Good luck. Great eating.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.