Wanting a new setup .300WM or like setup for Elk

I've seen over 30 bulls hit the ground hard from 50yards to 900 yards with the good ol 200 grain accubond. Super easy to reload on 300 win or rum. Use temperature stable powder. Eliminate all the factors besides the caliber that can also cause a miss and PRACTICE!

I have a NIB Rem. 7mm, with Leupold 3.5-10x50, timney trigger and 3 extra stocks (Nutmeg color thumb hole, Rem. realtree camo synthetic stock, Original wooden satin finish) all original boxes, and documents. Never had a round put into chamber. ---$1650.

Attachments

• 7mm 007.jpg
    7mm 007.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 7mm 012.jpg
    7mm 012.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 7mm 035.jpg
    7mm 035.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 64
New to the site, I thought I would reach out for some advice. I am about to go on my first Elk Hunt with a rifle, I have been several years with a bow but decided to book a hunt for second rifle in Colorado and looking to get a rifle ready for the October hunt. I was thinking a .300 WM and wanted to see what thoughts were on that or if I should consider something else. Second question would be for your opinion on best out of the box rifle these days for long range hunting. I was seriously considering the Christensen Mesa Long Range, Weathrby Mark V Accuamark, or a Bergara Premier. Or maybe there is a better option, I would like to be $2500 or less for the gun not including optics. I'm not going to shoot competitively but would like to have a good 1000 yard setup. Fairly experienced shooter, however new to the semi custom/custom market for a rifle and
New to the site, I thought I would reach out for some advice. I am about to go on my first Elk Hunt with a rifle, I have been several years with a bow but decided to book a hunt for second rifle in Colorado and looking to get a rifle ready for the October hunt. I was thinking a .300 WM and wanted to see what thoughts were on that or if I should consider something else. Second question would be for your opinion on best out of the box rifle these days for long range hunting. I was seriously considering the Christensen Mesa Long Range, Weathrby Mark V Accuamark, or a Bergara Premier. Or maybe there is a better option, I would like to be $2500 or less for the gun not including optics. I'm not going to shoot competitively but would like to have a good 1000 yard setup. Fairly experienced shooter, however new to the semi custom/custom market for a rifle and most of my rifle hunts in Missouri cap at 300 on whitetail so this is somewhat of a different need, we shoot out further but mostly just for fun.

Thanks in advance
What bullet do you want to shoot? If you want a heavy pill go with the 300 wm and a 210 Berger vld. if you can't take that recoil then 7mm rem mag. 168 g Berger vld. I have used muzzle brakes and don't like them for hunting.. so many flavors of rifles and all good shooters. Setup total weight is 9 lbs with scope is my limit. I use Tikka t3x lite. Use to put bell and Carlson stocks on. I like the new Tikka stock but add a mathews fabrication kydex adjustable cheek riser.

I hunted elk with 30-06 and .338WM for years before old age is forced me to become a stand hunter. I now use a .300 Weatherby with 210 grain Nosler ABLR ammunition. Any of the 30 caliber magnums will work just fine, but the 300 Winchester magnum has the widest distribution of ammunition and can be important if you run short or need to rezero your rifle. There are plenty of reasonably inexpensive rifles on the market which are of quite good quality. The Weather Vanguard is one of them with guaranteed minute of angle accuracy with quality ammunition. Far more important than the rifle is the quality of the optics you put on it. If your optocs doesn't cost more than your rifle, then you've made a mistake. Lot of luck with your new gun.

I'm gonna go against the grain slightly here. 300 win is great but I think the 300 PRC is a better choice if you don't hand load. I read the posts and didnt see where you confirmed you did or didnt reload. Im goin to assume you don't. IMO the 300 PRC with the 212 and 225 factory options are **** impressive. The 300 win mag has/had the loaded berger 215 ammo that was awesome but almost impossible to find at times. I have and others used the 300 win and 215 bergers to kill everything from coues to big bulls near and far 125-975 but thats all handloaded ammo. I tried some nosler ABLR just for the brass and never could get it to shoot, everything else I found locally was in the 180 class and down for the 300 win. If I want to shoot that class of bullet I will stick with the 280 AI. My point being there isnt any real world difference when fed handloaded optimized rounds but I do think theres a pretty big difference when given factory options. The 300 PRC was developed (from my prospective) as the easy button off the shelf LR/ELR caliber. Its throated and loaded with heavy bullets and manufacters are chambering in appropriate fast twist barrels. Not better than the 300 win but when going stock, rilfes and ammo, I think the 300 PRC is what most people want out of a 30 cal mag in 2020.

300 WM, lots of powder room. 125 grain bullets for lite fun, to 200 or even 220 grain bullets for destroying the target, and, your shoulder. Cheap ammo, $20 a box or less, at times.
Short neck, not a problem for me.

I have several up to .270 and a .280 rem kind of wanting to add to the collection also. I will def be sending a lot down range before leaving Missouri to be very familiar with the rifle
You already own two fine Elk Rifles. Either is easily good out to 600 yards.Spend your money on some good optics.A good pair of Bino`s,good spotting scope,good rangefinder.Go to a shooting school for long range.Shooting a rifle off a bench gives you no experience shooting different distances from different positions.There are several good shooting schools available and you could spend your $2,500.00 there.The instructors would be pleased to see you with out a Magnum Rifle.JMHO,Huntz

I have several up to .270 and a .280 rem kind of wanting to add to the collection also. I will def be sending a lot down range before leaving Missouri to be very familiar with the rifle
Well I use 30-06 hand loads with a sako, winchester no problems
But my drop them on the spot is my cz550 375 H&H magnum safari
Never fails lol
Choose what you can shoot well and you will get the job done
Good luck

Get a good bipod and detachable if on horse back for the scabbard. Practice with that setup and don't use lead sleds when practicing!

I don't think anyone has asked yet, but what style Hunt is this going to be?

Are you backpacking in, riding horses, hunting out of a Ranger/4x4?

there's an earlier post which I think deserves more consideration, there could be a drastic difference between an "elk rifle" and a "1000 yard" rifle, depending on how you are lugging it around in elk country. If you are just doing day hunts and you aren't carrying camp, food, gear and rifle on your back for 5 days, then they can be the same cannon that weighs 14 lbs. if you are going to be carrying all of that stuff, I'd be toting my 7RM at 8.5 lbs with scope, stock pack, sling and loaded. I also know that where I elk hunt, there's no reason I can't get within 600 yards, so I don't need a heavy cannon to be successful.

there have been a lot of really good options thrown out, but I think you'd be foolish to buy something without considering all of the factors. Then again, if this will be a one-time Hunt, never to be repeated, then maybe you are willing to haul it around for 5 days and deal with the weight (to end up with a heavier rifle that will be more effective shooting 1,000 yards).
There's a balance to be found, large enough projectile to carry the necessary energy at a desired distance.... and a rifle weight that allows for sufficient (read enjoyable) practice, between now and when you leave. That .280 that you have offers a very wide variety of bullet weights and profiles, and would allow you to spend $2,500 on ammo and shooting instruction between now and then.

The fact that you hunt deer out to 300 yards in your home state, sounds like you may have what you need already. But don't let me talk you out of a custom or semi custom build, I have a 338 mag that will be finished soon and I want to see if will shoot some 225 grain pills that I have whole box of.
Most state's start at a 243 for elk, so anything up from that should get the job done if you do your part. I have a passion for 6.5 cal. and my favorite is a 264 mag. with 160 grain Matrix for elk my long shot to date is a little over 225 yards. Take some time to find out what caliber and distance you are confident with and work from there, a double lung shot will work ever time.
Oh if you get an opportunity try not shoot across canyon, you find out why when you spend the rest of the day trying to hike around only to get there and sunset and get to spent the night on the ground next to your trophy.

I recommend a Weatherby Mark V Deluxe (wood) .340 Magnum, with 210 or 225 Nosler Partition bullets. Its been my go-to rifle for all elk hunts since 1985, with many, many one-shot DRT's out to 500 yards plus. With the right optics its an excellent 1000-yarder also. IMHO, "one and done".

New to the site, I thought I would reach out for some advice. I am about to go on my first Elk Hunt with a rifle, I have been several years with a bow but decided to book a hunt for second rifle in Colorado and looking to get a rifle ready for the October hunt. I was thinking a .300 WM and wanted to see what thoughts were on that or if I should consider something else. Second question would be for your opinion on best out of the box rifle these days for long range hunting. I was seriously considering the Christensen Mesa Long Range, Weathrby Mark V Accuamark, or a Bergara Premier. Or maybe there is a better option, I would like to be $2500 or less for the gun not including optics. I'm not going to shoot competitively but would like to have a good 1000 yard setup. Fairly experienced shooter, however new to the semi custom/custom market for a rifle and most of my rifle hunts in Missouri cap at 300 on whitetail so this is somewhat of a different need, we shoot out further but mostly just for fun.

Thanks in advance
You will not go wrong with a 300 WM or even a 300 Ultra Mag. But there will be some that think you have to drink from the newest cool-aid stand in town

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.