Elk rifle setup advice

My best advice is to get in shape. I live about 80 miles from there and can tell you that it is steep,steep. So get in shape. Shoot what ever you shoot best with the heaviest bullet that your gun likes.

Why? Would that mean he needed a different caliber?

Probably not.........why?

I do understand the desire for a lighter rig, I don't place much stock in energy figures and as far as my last question goes I'm a curious George as to where people are choosing to go to hunt.

There is a lot of different kinds of elk hunts for sure!

The 168 Hunting VLD's are, FAMOUS for, Killing Elk in almost ALL of, the 7mm's ! My son's, 7 mm-08 Bullet of Choice, too !
And, I'd use nothing bigger than, a 4.5 X 14 Scope in case of, a "Close" shot ( last 2 Bulls that, I killed were at, 95 and 60 Yards ),..
One with, an AccuBond, One with, a Classic Hunter, Berger ( AHHH,.. the Berger's, STOMP em,.. BETTER !! ).
Yup, you may have to "Dig" out, a few Pieces of, Copper / lead ( Most stay in, the Boiler Room Cavity, IF aiming for, the Heart Lung area ).
They are, a TOUGH Bullet and "can" Penetrate, BOTH of the High shoulder Blades ( mine did ) tho not, my preferred Target area ( It was ALL that, I had to shoot at, as he was behind some sage brush and I was kneeling behind, a Sage Bush using my shooting "Stix" ).
Boom,.. Heels / Hooves and,.. DRT ! PS; Berger HVLD's are,.. usually VERY Accurate ( Just find, the correct, seating Depth ! )

Going guided on public , northwest Montana.
Depending on where in
NW MT your hunting shots can very, expect shots from 30 yards to 500. 500 will typically be cross canyon. True NW MT is Heavy timber, typical timber hunting, but your best chances will occur cross canyon, unless hunting lower elevation. Take the rifle you have the most confidence in. That is my main rule of thumb. But I for one will lose a bit of speed for grain weight. Just my opinion.

Here is my dilemma. Going in first elk hunt in November and building a 280ai for the hunt as right now I have a 6.5x284 for whitetail/mule deer. I was gonna take the 6.5x284 as backup gun using Berger 156 eol. First question is should I load develop 280ai with the 168 or 180? Next question would you swap atacr 5x25x56 onto 280ai and mount the vortex pst gen2 3x15x44 on 6.5x284 or just leave atacr on and mount vortex on 280ai? What would you guys do?
My first question is what reasonably is the farthest distance you're confident of making a one shot kill?

I'm not generally in the camp of shooting the longest, heaviest, highest BC bullet necessarily but if you're planning to shoot more than 500yds the extra BC does help even if it costs you velocity on the front end.

That being said I'd work up loads for either one or both and just see what it likes the best and go from there loading up a fair number of rounds not only for this hunt but for the future.

As a rule I like to keep 100 rds ready to go for each of the Rum's and the 375Rug, and STW's, and a couple of hundred each for the smaller cases.

I would use your 280 AI as you will get an advantage using 160-180 gr bullets over the 140gr in 6.5. We killed a lot of elk with both cartridges you mentioned so either will work fine.

I used the 175 EH in my 280AI last year and killed a nice 6x6 at 550yds. Year before killed another 6x6 at 150 yds with accubonds. Both worked great but I prefer the 175EH. 175 LRAB shot good in my gun as well but Berger's just a little more accurate.

For your scope choice I would go with the lighter one of the two on the 280 AI

Just because the folks at Berger say it should be ok don't make it so.
It is close to the limit.
I would try the 168 and if it shots good stick with that!

My first question is what reasonably is the farthest distance you're confident of making a one shot kill?

I'm not generally in the camp of shooting the longest, heaviest, highest BC bullet necessarily but if you're planning to shoot more than 500yds the extra BC does help even if it costs you velocity on the front end.

That being said I'd work up loads for either one or both and just see what it likes the best and go from there loading up a fair number of rounds not only for this hunt but for the future.

As a rule I like to keep 100 rds ready to go for each of the Rum's and the 375Rug, and STW's, and a couple of hundred each for the smaller cases.
I am comfortable with 600. Maybe after this summer season of shooting I could extend the range but time and conditions will determine.