1st elk hunt need rifle advice

I can not recommend Tikka's stongly enough. The picture I have posted is the accuracy you can expect to achieve with handloads.

Attachments

• 20170608_130031.jpg
    20170608_130031.jpg
    396.1 KB · Views: 224
Never seen a Tikka or Sako that wouldn't shoot. Although I am referring to their better models and not the entry Sako models. I have no experience with those.
My dedicated elk rifle is a Sako 75 in 300 WSM. It's sub moa with factory ammo (loves the Winchester 180 gr Accubond ammo) and it got even better when I started hand loading. The 200 gr ELDX is a hammer on elk, although every elk I shot with a 180 gr AB died and didn't go far. If you want to shoot a mono bullet, I can't recommend Hammer Bullets enough. Only issue with a Sako or Tikka is the 1:11 twist. I had to drop down to the 166 gr Hammer Hunter to get stability.

What is a Sako "entry" model? My late 60'-70's models are all sub MOA, most with factory ammo also.

The new Sako A7... I have no experience with it

My long range 300 RUM is a Sako L691. My Sako Finnlight (was a 7 Rem Mag now it's a 28 nosler) is accurate (but I haven't shot it since I rechambered it). And... my Sako Finnwolf in 243 is probably the most accurate lever gun I own and I have a Browning BLR, Win 88, Savage 99.

Originally, I'm from Tennessee, the patron state of things that shoot!

I relocated to North Dakota and got the bug for a .338 WM. I decided to buy Winchester Model 70 Alaskan in blue. NIB I had the trigger dialed to 3 lbs, barrel fully floated, and a muzzle brake installed. Off the cuff I can't recall the scope mounts, believe they are Warnes, and a 6 powers Leupold.

The recoil is about like a .270. I can pull the trigger all day and enjoy it.

Drew a cow tag for Idaho last year, 2018. I was hunting with a friend and his family out of Soda Springs. We used our horses, 2 of which were mine, set up a wall tent camp. We arose each morning, had breakfast, saddled up and rode until we found the herds. 200 and 300 head herds daily. It was like being on Safari!

My .338 was dead on at 300 yards. I was shooting off the shelf 200 grain Winchester ammo. I ranged my cow at 450 yards. After the shot, the last thing I saw through the scope was the cow tumbling down the mountain, the victim of gravity and a well placed shot.

In Tennessee we name our guns. My Model 700 ADL in stainless and braked is "Boomer". My Marlin 39A I bought after high school in 1978 is "Sting". I called my brother in Wascilla and related to him how much I like the .338 and told him it was now known as "The Hammer"!

Love my sako grey wolf very accurate all I did was trigger adjust shots sub moa on factory Ammo at 100 yds. I load for it and touch holes, no more then 1/2 inch groups with numerous loads. I love the Mauser type bolts and actions.

all of the higher end sako are great i have both tikkas and sakos and the higher end sako is the better rifle in my experience

It would be interesting to have a little shoot off between Tikka's and Sako's. And I agree on the higher end Samos but then I don't own a Tikka and all of my Sakos have been played with lol. Trigger jobs, bedding etc.

Of the Tikka T3s that I have seen on the range, when shot by someone who knows what they are doing, they have been (from only 4-5 instances) surprisingly accurate. So much so that I used to tell guys buying new guns for their kids etc. To buy a Tikka instead of spending a lot more money on something else.

No the brand that I have not owned yet is Ruger... that is asides from the 3 - Ruger No. 1s that I own and love to carry (except the varmint one - HEAVY) One of which is in 300 Weatherby and it's awesome on moose!!!!

It would be interesting to have a little shoot off between Tikka's and Sako's. And I agree on the higher end Samos but then I don't own a Tikka and all of my Sakos have been played with lol. Trigger jobs, bedding etc.

Of the Tikka T3s that I have seen on the range, when shot by someone who knows what they are doing, they have been (from only 4-5 instances) surprisingly accurate. So much so that I used to tell guys buying new guns for their kids etc. To buy a Tikka instead of spending a lot more money on something else.

Sako owns Tikka and the rifles come out of the same factory. Basically, a Tikka is an lower end Sako (plastic bolt shroud and mag as opposed to the Sako metal mag and bolt shrouds). My Tikka 243 is stupid accurate and a great gun.
Same thing goes for some other great gun brands. Blaser owns Mauser and Sauer rifles and they all come out of the same factory, too.

Sako owns Tikka and the rifles come out of the same factory. Basically, a Tikka is an lower end Sako (plastic bolt shroud and mag as opposed to the Sako metal mag and bolt shrouds). My Tikka 243 is stupid accurate and a great gun.
Same thing goes for some other great gun brands. Blaser owns Mauser and Sauer rifles and they all come out of the same factory, too.

Oh I know... I used to try and keep track of who owns who and have given up.

Beretta owns Sako, Tikka, franchie, stoeger, Burris and Steiner and who knows who/what else. Lol

Herstal owns FN and Browning and somehow part or all of Winchester. Haven't followed that group too much.

It's almost like batteries. Only 2 companies in the world make all the batteries.

And if I remember correctly only 3 tire companies...

And let's not get into who owns what in the car world lol

A friend bought a new Sako Bavarian in 260 Rem last year. No matter what bullet he used he could never get better than a 3" group. Paid around $2000 for it. Rifle was taken back & he received a full refund. Brand name does not guarantee accuracy. My Savage model 16 in 260 Rem will almost shoot one hole three shot groups. My friend who had the Sako bought a new Savage 16 in 260 Rem & it shoots as accurately as mine. The game goes down with properly a placed bullet. They have no way of knowing if the bullet came from a $2000 rifle or a $500 one.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.