Need Advice on a Rifle

ejd1 well I was looking around and found this review from Rokslide. I've never met these guys but I have found them to be informative. Your buddy might be interested in this review and the price of the rifle. Nosler has one rifle I believe in the $1400 range. https://www.rokslide.com/christensen-arms-mesa-rifle-review/

The Rokslide reviewers along with Broz's crew over at LRO are top notch shooters with deep first hand knowledge on this subject.

You're happy with your experience but your experience is limited to the two rifles you own.

I actually own three off the shelf Christensens and a semi custom with a Christensen blank. But even if you were correct and my experience was limited to only two, my best advice is still based on first hand experience.

Last edited:
Yes, Long Range Hunting is the name of this site therefore most of us here are hunters. (Some, like me, also shoot long range competitively)
However here we talk about hunting rifles.

But there are many types of hunting rifles: (mine in parenthesis)
1. woodland fast handling deer rifles (.308 Savage 99 lever action)
2. bean field longer distance deer rifles shot from elevated blinds
4. western long distance rifles (.300 Win mag Browning A-Bolt)
5. western mountain rifles (6.5 CM Browning X-Bolt Pro)
6. prairie dog and groundhog rifles
7. even squirrel rifles (Ruger 96/.22 WRM lever action)
8. semi-auto hog rifles
9. many others including muzzle loaders

Arguing over types of rifles is meaningless. We use what we like, reason be damned.
Remember however, our site is dedicated to Long Range rifles. Than means, at the least, long range capable cartridges, LR capable rifles and beautifully accurate rifles.

Discussing within types which work best has merit. Most of what we discuss here is in this category. Which woodland deer rifle?, which mountain goat/sheep rifle?, which hog rifle?

Say for example my new X-Bolt Pro mountain rifle.
->Would I like a lighter Proof Research CF wrapped barrel on it? Hell YES! But the CF stock's fore arm is too narrow to accept it.
->Would I like a 24" barrel for more velocity instead of the 22" factory barrel? Yep.
->But why then didn't I buy the X-Bolt Pro Long Range with a 26" barrel? Because it was too long, unnecessarily long for a 6.5 Creedmoor.
->Will I likely someday replace the barrel with a nice 24", 5R Bartlein barrel? Oh yes!

And so it goes. Within the mountain rifle type, like the other types, we discuss our "druthers". And it educates some of us, infuriates others and puts still others to sleep.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.