Elk rifle setup advice

Where are you finding 180 Bergers??
I haven't seen them anywhere in a long time.
Trout Creek is thick, brushy, definitely steep, and very low elk density
Good luck

The problem with light weight bullets is that they run out of energy real quick when they encounter resistance. Elk are big tough animals capable of soaking up those light weight bullets. I would like to see you use the 280 with at least a 168, as there are no readily available rests to shoot off of, shots are frequently fast or not at all, and you're usually sucking wind, making the ideal bullet placement less than easy. I would suggest you talk with the outfitter/guide and get his input, as he'll know what kind of shots are likely to be normal. Good luck!

Here is my dilemma. Going in first elk hunt in November and building a 280ai for the hunt as right now I have a 6.5x284 for whitetail/mule deer. I was gonna take the 6.5x284 as backup gun using Berger 156 eol. First question is should I load develop 280ai with the 168 or 180? Next question would you swap atacr 5x25x56 onto 280ai and mount the vortex pst gen2 3x15x44 on 6.5x284 or just leave atacr on and mount vortex on 280ai? What would you guys do?
As far as bullets for the 280 I'd definitely go 180 if cup and core. If bonded or mono take your pic. Also, what length of barrel?

Where are you finding 180 Bergers??
I haven't seen them anywhere in a long time.
Trout Creek is thick, brushy, definitely steep, and very low elk density
Good luck
I have not found anything yet, seen some 168vld on gunbroker, almost twice the price. Haven't bought anything yet.

Here is my dilemma. Going in first elk hunt in November and building a 280ai for the hunt as right now I have a 6.5x284 for whitetail/mule deer. I was gonna take the 6.5x284 as backup gun using Berger 156 eol. First question is should I load develop 280ai with the 168 or 180? Next question would you swap atacr 5x25x56 onto 280ai and mount the vortex pst gen2 3x15x44 on 6.5x284 or just leave atacr on and mount vortex on 280ai? What would you guys do?
Stick with 6.5x284 and buy a light weight scope such as vortex 3-15 Razor LHT. Weight does wear on you while hiking. If you are mountain elk hunting you will be hiking so start getting in shape now. Trout Creek is close to where I grew up.

Stick with 6.5x284 and buy a light weight scope such as vortex 3-15 Razor LHT. Weight does wear on you while hiking. If you are mountain elk hunting you will be hiking so start getting in shape now. Trout Creek is close to where I grew up.
Yes I may have to do that, I have started getting in shape or trying to. Treadmill and a bunch of hiking, shed hunting, will move into pack and weight in pack in a month or so.

JMO&E, I have taken elk from 20-225 yards. Always used a fairly stout bullet because of this variance. Usually Nosler Partitions or Barnes TTSX. Only used a 30 caliber on elk. They can be tough. A stout premium 7mm of 140 or heavier should do the job. I'm not a fan of delicate bullets just because the ranges can be quite varied.
I also highly suggest you keep shooting until the animal is down and stays down. I've seen a number of guys shoot, then watch the elk go over a hill never to be found. I was watching through binos and they were good hits (the triangle). Elk, especially big bulls, can be quite shock resistant.

Chat with your guide about his recommendations.

I would go with a .280 AI, or even better, a 7mm Gibbs if I wouldn't mind case forming brass. I have a .30 Gibbs and it has identical ballistics to the 30 caliber short mags and it has the advantage of one more round in the magazine. Install a Wyatt's box, and have a custom reamer or necker/throater made so you could seat the 168gr. bullets base to the neck/shoulder junction to give you minimum bullet clearance and you could take full advantage of case capacity. I would have the reamer ground so as to have .001" bullet clearance in the throat. Hmmm, I have a 26 inch Helix carbon fiber barrel just laying around that I think I just found a home for!

If the 6.5-284 is a hammer i would take it. Try to reduce weight on it if it is too heavy. Seen a lot of game dropped with a 6.5-284 id think the 156's would be perfect. If it is steep and nasty like most ppl said get yourself an old fixed 6 power leupold. I still use one on my 300wm. Taken a lot of elk from 100-400 yards