Advice on tripod setup

You know, a really good article or thread would be setting up a tripod, do's and don'ts, and going thru the steps of using it. Would allow for some of you highly experienced guys using tripods a chance to impart your wisdom and I for one, would learn from you.

I agree withnTexSavage. It's confusing to figure out what you need. If I get this right, you don't need a leveling base to use a ball or anvil head and I just need to concern myself with how beefy a tripod (series 1,2, or 3) I desire and what head I want to go with. In my case, I'm looking to use it in a hunting capacity so weight will be a major consideration since I will at times be carrying it in a backpack.

I agree withnTexSavage. It's confusing to figure out what you need. If I get this right, you don't need a leveling base to use a ball or anvil head and I just need to concern myself with how beefy a tripod (series 1,2, or 3) I desire and what head I want to go with. In my case, I'm looking to use it in a hunting capacity so weight will be a major consideration since I will at times be carrying it in a backpack.
Is the "series" consistent between different manufacturers?

Bowl size and base diameter - what's interchangeable, works together or doesn't work together?

Is the "series" consistent between different manufacturers?

Bowl size and base diameter - what's interchangeable, works together or doesn't work together?
75mm bowls in the new standard it seems. RRS makes the best bowl attachments and they all use 75mm. Most the quality tripods that come from foreign manufacturers, aka Chinese, that are high quality actually, have gone to 75mm so you can use the quality components from RRS on them.

The below is copy and pasted from a post on Predator Masters Forum in 3/15/2017 by Kyle Crickenberger.

There are several tripod options out there, it depends on what you want to do with it. If your not a die hard coyote hunter then don't spend a lot of money. I've been using tripod setups for seven years now and have tried setups from $100 to $1500. There's three components that you will need for a tripod setup. Mount (attaches rifle to tripod), Head, and legs. The options are endless and it really boils down to what you want to do with it. High End Heads ($350-500) DCLW, Apo RSTA II, RRS BH-55. These heads are some of the best out there. They have high weight ratings, the tension settings are extremely precise and the craftsmanship and quality of these heads are really good. Mid Range Heads ($160-300) Sirui k40x, Manfrotto 468mg, RRS bh-30. There are some great heads in this category and IMO one of the best heads out there under $300 is the manfrotto 468mg with q6 top lock. I personally own four of these heads and they have performed great for several years now. They retail for $265 and have a 35LB. weight rating. Low End Heads ($50-150) Manfrotto, Benro, Slik, Vanguard, Oben, etc. There's more options for heads in this category and there is some heads that will get the job done and are decent but they will not have the high weight ratings and are made with cheaper parts.

The next thing you will need is a set of legs. These can be broken down into three categories just like the heads. High end legs are typically carbon, RRS TVC 43,33,etc. Gitzo 5543, 3533,etc. Legs like these can cost from $800-1200. They have weight ratings up to 100lbs. Most wont have a center column and will accept 75-100mm bowl heads as well. They are very lightweight and don't have any flex within the legs. These legs with a quality head can be used to zero a rifle. They are used quite a bit in prs matches and guys can make consistent hits on these setups out to 1200 yards standing. The mid grade legs consist of carbon or aluminum. prices vary from $200-500. Manfrotto, giottos, sirui, induro,etc. weight ratings can vary from 18-30lbs. One of the best bank for your buck legs out there is the giottos ytl 9213. They retail for $200 and have a 22lb. weight rating, I have four sets of these legs and they work great. I have 16k in one of my rifles and I have been carrying it over my shoulder attached to the tripod for 5 years with zero issues of it falling off. The low end legs are like the low end heads. Light weight ratings, they will be made of cheap aluminum and will have flex and most likely cheap leg locks. They can still serve a purpose as a shooting rest but you will have no where near the stability as a premium setup.

Mounts will be the last thing you need for a tripod setup. I break these down into two categories. Saddle style mounts and direct attach mounts. saddle mounts consist of some sort of vice or clamp style mount. Hog saddle, Pig Saddle, triclawps, reaper, etc. These mounts work great because they will accept several different style rifle stocks. The prices vary from $100-350. Direct style mounts will interface from the stock or handguard directly to the head of your tripod. With that being said the qd plate or mount on your rifle must interface with the correct base on the top of your ball head. If its a arca swiss base on your head it must be a arca compatible plate on your rifle. Most of the newer tripod mounts out now are designed to be used with a 1913 pic, keymod or mlok on one side of the plate that attaches to your rifle and the other is machined to fit the base of their brand head. It could be arca, it could be a proprietary design from that head manufacturer. Really Right Stuff has some of the nicest mounts out for rifles under their SOAR line. There's also several companies out there that have designed mounts to attach to your rifle that will interface with a tripod head.

Some people will shy away at the cost of these setups, but if your a serious coyote hunter buy a solid setup and it will last a long time. If you plan on doing a lot of stand up shooting with your setup, then look into the carbon legs, less flex and that will make a big difference when your trying to shoot at 400+ yards. I hope this broke down the tripod setups for some people looking to get one or figure out what route or options they want to go with.

Arca rail all day every day over a vice type attachment (i.e. Hog/Pig saddle or RRS Vyce). The connection point is just so much more solid with a rail integrated into your stock foreend. Downside is you can't just easily throw an arca rail on any stock.

Ballhead, leveling base, or RRS Anvil is personal preference for the most part, but I think most will say leveling base is a little more solid. You don't get the angle with a leveling base that you do with a ballhead or Anvil though.

Personally I chose ballhead and I'm running optics off the same tripod that I shoot off of. If you have the cash to go with a RRS, but all means do it, You're not just paying for the quality, you'll find their tripods are considerably lighter then others in the same weight class.

If you're on a budget check out Leofoto. I'm running this setup and have been very happy with it. Small, compact, and light! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078FH79Y8/?tag=lrhmag19-20

I wouldn't take a shot standing up with it, you'll need a much bigger tripod for that, but sitting with the leg sections collapsed, it's a very stable platform that I can take some pretty extreme angle shots off of. This isn't my hunting setup, but that's a 16lb rifle hanging off that little ballhead and it holds it no problem. The other big benefit for me is that I always have the tripod with me when hunting as I use it for my spotting scope too. If want to take a shot, pop the spotter out, and put gun with arca rail right in - no additional attachments to fool around with.
IMG_7086.jpg

I'm hoping my fellow shooters out there can give me some first hand input on their tripod setups for shooting off of. I've found a few things on the forums but was hoping for more details. RRS has some great tripods and attachments. The options seem to be a leveling head using a VYCE attachment or something similar or an ARCA rail on the gun. Another option would be an anvil head. Any advantages or disadvantages to any of these setups or other ideas?
Good read here. Might take several times for it to sink in.

https://forum.snipershide.com/threa...-tvc-33-feisol-3372-anvil-30-comment.6570549/

No mention of Outdoorsmans products. Anyone have any experience here? I'm looking into how to best utilize O tripod and pan head with a NULA rifle I have ordered. I'm also in the process of building a handgun rest for my .454 and plan to come up with something that will be fabricated of aluminum and attach directly to my O pan head.

Thanks for the input everyone including alf's link to a great article from Sniper's Hide.
Feel like I can make a much better decision now with all of this information and not just be guessing and regretting it later. I don't shoot competitively, just a hard core hunter so if anyone has anything else to add along those lines, it will be appreciated.

alf, thanks, that is a great article! Outstanding Post!! You are right about reading it several times. Now what we need is a nuts and bolts article or thread stepping through the use of a tripod, do's and don'ts, personal tips and some great pics for reference. Any of you experienced tripod-ers out there want to take a crack at this!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I don't want a tripod only for shooting off of. I also want to use it for my camera and spotting scope. Camera use will probably be what it is used for the most.

I've had a lot of cheap tripods in the past and they've all frustrated me.

Try to move a spotting scope and lock it in place - it never holds properly at the point you want to look at. The wind blows and the scope moves.

Using a camera, which is usually lighter, on these tripods is easier but still frustrating to make fine adjustments.

I would love to support an American made product/company and buy all Really Right Stuff equipment but that's not going to work in the immediate future.

While still not cheap, the Leofoto LN-364 costs half of what the RRS TVC-33 tripod costs, is comparable in weight handling, but weighs ~2 lbs more. The Leofoto tripod with a RRS ball head is closer to my price range.

2 lbs may not sound like much, but that's about like carrying two extra bottles of water. That extra two pounds would probably be a positive attribute when using the camera/spotting scope for the added stability. Would also probably be a positive when shooting off of it. I'm not a competitive shooter in a series that requires running and gunning, and would likely use the tripod when hunting from a ground blind. We don't have mountains down here on the Gulf Coast but soggy ground can be just as bad as high elevation/thin air when walking any distance. The less weight you have to carry the better.

I'm not a wealthy man but I'm tired of buying cheap stuff that breaks or frustrates me because it doesn't work right. Buy once, cry once. With that said, you don't necessarily have to spend the most money to get the best product "for you". Finding the right balance is what's tough so as not to get buyers remorse. Even tougher when you can't physically handle the equipment you are trying to decide between.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.