Wall Tent Camping - Luxury items?

Please watch your language.

WARNING
Hi, Len, I completely agree that we all should keep our posts clean and civil, especially since this is the most educationally-valuable forum I've found on the subjects covered here. But as a somewhat "new guy", I'm not sure what you're warning Country Bumpkin about. He seemed to go out of his way not to be offensive while sharing his (I believe valid) feelings about generator noise, and the only oblique reference to offensive content appeared to be his "*Rule 4 Violation**" comment, which seemed pretty innocuous to me relative to the types of comments the rule is intended to prevent. Was it that which prompted your note? If so, then it'd be helpful to have some texture around the issue so we all have a common understanding of the boundaries. Again, I'm not pushing back, just seeking better understanding. Your moderation and the rules seem to be working pretty well, we have a forum of experienced, opinionated and potentially-contentious old goats, all of whom share their knowledge and experience freely and very helpfully, so preserving that exchange is entirely worthwhile.

Hi, Len, I completely agree that we all should keep our posts clean and civil, especially since this is the most educationally-valuable forum I've found on the subjects covered here. But as a somewhat "new guy", I'm not sure what you're warning Country Bumpkin about. He seemed to go out of his way not to be offensive while sharing his (I believe valid) feelings about generator noise, and the only oblique reference to offensive content appeared to be his "*Rule 4 Violation**" comment, which seemed pretty innocuous to me relative to the types of comments the rule is intended to prevent. Was it that which prompted your note? If so, then it'd be helpful to have some texture around the issue so we all have a common understanding of the boundaries. Again, I'm not pushing back, just seeking better understanding. Your moderation and the rules seem to be working pretty well, we have a forum of experienced, opinionated and potentially-contentious old goats, all of whom share their knowledge and experience freely and very helpfully, so preserving that exchange is entirely worthwhile.

Jeff Patton:

Country Bumpkin's word was a crude euphemism for urinate: p i s s

He did not write the words *rule violation 4*

4) Foul language serves no purpose here and is not appreciated; This applies to inappropriate pictures as well. They will not be allowed.

Rather the software does that based on me having set it up for the word.

This year we plan to test our long range shooting skills in Wyoming. This will be our first year in a wall tent. What luxury items do you bring to make your camping experience the best? I have a list of the normal items (cot, stove, chairs, etc) but looking for items that really make a big difference in comfort and stay. What ya got?
Can the propane shower and just bring a solar shower and heat the water on the stove. Luxury item would be a cot tree, foam pad or air mattress piece of carpet by your cot and a good bourbon

We have an elk camp that we and a dedicated 16 foot trailer that we keep it in. We've been improving the camp for over thirty years. We have three 12x17 wall tents that Montana Canvas custom made for us. Two bedroom tents, and one we call the lodge tent with a 12 foot "cook shack" that was also made by Montana Canvas.

One of the first things we learned was that cots are unsatisfactory in cold weather. My wife covered four inch foam pads, and now each hunter has 8 inches of foam to sleep on. We all have big rectangular sleeping bags that keep us comfortable even at -12 degrees. We have 3 Riley Wrangler wood stoves and 4 Benzomatic TS4000 propane torches that make starting a fire a snap. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-TS4000T-Trigger-Start-Torch-Head-TS4000T/202185055

We also have 2 Camp Chef propane stoves, a two burner and a three burner. They are worth their weight in gold.

I cook with Dutch ovens also, and for that we have a collapsible awning with three sides to protect the ovens from wind, rain, and snow.

Life in camp revolves around tables and chairs.
Camp Bar and Kitchen.JPG

We set up two wall tents end to end and cover the whole thing with a large tarp. Several twenty lb propane bottles and the needed plumbing to run 3 lanterns and the cook stoves. Cots with 4" foam pads. We can sleep 8 in one tent and hang out in the kitchen. One wood stove has handled both tents into sub zero. We bring a pony keg of beer. Cost less and no mess.

The best luxury we have come up with is a urinal. About 20' of irrigation pipe and detergent jug fitted to the pipe with the bottom cut out. No need to go out in the cold for the mid night need.

We have an elk camp that we and a dedicated 16 foot trailer that we keep it in. We've been improving the camp for over thirty years. We have three 12x17 wall tents that Montana Canvas custom made for us. Two bedroom tents, and one we call the lodge tent with a 12 foot "cook shack" that was also made by Montana Canvas.

One of the first things we learned was that cots are unsatisfactory in cold weather. My wife covered four inch foam pads, and now each hunter has 8 inches of foam to sleep on. We all have big rectangular sleeping bags that keep us comfortable even at -12 degrees. We have 3 Riley Wrangler wood stoves and 4 Benzomatic TS4000 propane torches that make starting a fire a snap. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-TS4000T-Trigger-Start-Torch-Head-TS4000T/202185055

We also have 2 Camp Chef propane stoves, a two burner and a three burner. They are worth their weight in gold.

I cook with Dutch ovens also, and for that we have a collapsible awning with three sides to protect the ovens from wind, rain, and snow.

Life in camp revolves around tables and chairs.View attachment 146683
This sounds amazing. How long does it take to set up and take down camp?

Need a meat packer? ;-)

Also a bucket of wood shaving soaked with diesel. A cup of that and a propane torch starts the wood stove without effort. No need for kindling. One pickup brings a load of wood so that we don't have to take time to cut wood. We do bring the saw just in case.

This year we plan to test our long range shooting skills in Wyoming. This will be our first year in a wall tent. What luxury items do you bring to make your camping experience the best? I have a list of the normal items (cot, stove, chairs, etc) but looking for items that really make a big difference in comfort and stay. What ya got?

Good whiskey and cigars.

..............................................................................................................
>>Very mature comment Jeff. Len, you are a nice man and have ultimate editorial oversight on YOUR blog. BUTT, my friend I would not lose sight of the old axiom that "the customer is always right" i.e. categorizing the expression "pi__ ed off" as vulgar is a rather parochial even puritanical, oversight on your part...Reminiscent of the liberal "oversight" of conservative comment on current social media. Can we say, the loss of freedom of speech. A hunting forum is for "rough men that stand ready to do violent things so that [ soft ] people can sleep peaceably" ..on their cots clutching their bear spray. Len you would not have melded well with the football locker rooms nor pilot ready rooms I matured in. Your "sensitivities" [ and thus Rules ] are a little too sensitive for me. Butt, I'm just a customer.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.