Backcountry tent recommendations

To me, equipment evaluations and recommendations need specifics. Weight of tent, exact model, pole system, glass or aluminum, floor system, single or double wall, vestibule or no, how do the zippers work, one way or two way, one entrance or two, waterproof and degree, ability to withstand wind, etc.

You can have two identically designed tents that behave completely different based on quality of materials and other minor differences..

If you're saying you're going to sacrifice weight for comfort you're likely going to end up with a 40-50lb pack. Just so you know. Getting a pack down to 20-30 takes a lot of effort and you have to count ounces. I've used the Nemo Hornet Elite 2p; great tent, too much time to setup and on calm night when I didn't necessarily want to stake it down I had to because it was only semi-freestanding. If I were to get a double wall 2p tent I'd make sure it was totally freestanding. I now have the Stone Glacier SkyAir ULT; it's small and light and requires the use of trekking poles which I have all the time anyway, you are able to use sticks if you can find some that will work. This is in no way a free standing tent. There's not a lot of room but if cutting weight is a priority I'd look here. I also have an Argali Rincon and Ti stove. This is a nice setup for later seasons when the temps drop. It can also be setup with an insert for earlier warmer weather hunts when bugs might be a concern. Another light weight option that has a ton of room. Since I'm trying to cut some weight and want a fast and light setup, I'll be getting a bivy sack for next year, it'll be the OR Helium, I might add a tarp for this as well. A 20-30lb pack is a very dialed in system, consider doing some research on tents, sleeping bags, and pads, as your sleep system tends to add the most opportunity to cut weight. As others have said this is going to cost money though. Start thinking about food and how you can dial that in too. Good luck.

Also consider the situation you are in if you hike that far in and then have success in harvesting. Everything that went In has to come out plus all the meat!

You either need an ultralight camp or several days just to make trips to get it all.

Food for thought
James

You might consider the Nemo dagger OSMO or hornet OSMO tents as well. I was torn between the Tiger wall and copper spur until I started looking at Nemo. I was able to put hands on the copper spur and was concerned with how light the fabric was compared to the Dagger. I was so happy with the Dagger that I have the 2 and 3p tents for me and the kiddo trips.
I considered the Dagger, but after comparing it to the Copper Spur I decided to try the UL3 instead. Having used a Tiger wall & a couple buddies had BA tents. I'm not concerned on the fabric at all. Very durable. All 3 held up perfectly in some high winds & rain storms.
I really like the BA pole/ support system much better than the Dagger.
CS Just seems better supported for less sagging on all 4 sides, & provides more efficient use of interior space.
I'm sure both would be good choices,
Just personal preference.

YMMV.

Last edited:
I have spent many years bivy camping in the Northern Ca back country and finding the perfect tent is a challenge. I have several and try to match the forcast as best I can. If I am certain it will rain I will take my Kuiu Mountain Star 2p. Light weight and stays dry during set up. I like to see the stars at night and if the weather is hot and dry I will take either my Marmot 2p or my Big Agnes 2p. Both of those are full mesh and super cozy. I also have a Eureka Backcountry solo that I have used for more than 20 years and still going strong. All of my Backcountry tents are under 3.6 pounds. I will say that the High peaks of the Trinity Alps, Marble Mountains, Russian wilderness and Yolly Bolla Wilderness will throw heavy rain at you even when the weather man says all Sun, been there done that! I also pack a Lite Outdoors 10x10 sil poly bivy tarp just in case I need in camp or have to bivy out from camp a night. Best of luck, Jason