Bipod backcountry hunting.

Any reason not to just use your pack or trekking poles?
Our Family of, 4 Big Game Hunters, shoot over our Stuffed, EXO Packs ( With, a small Toe rest ) PAST 400 yards and use, Hunters Specialties WOOD STIX for, kneeling or, Sitting shots to, 375 / 400 Yds with, the Pack resting, on thigh used as, a "Toe Rest" for sitting shots.
The Wood, H-S "Stix" weigh practically,.. NOTHING !
It's hard to find, a reasonably FLAT Spot, in the Mountains to, shoot Prone.

Last edited:
Our Family of, 4 Big Game Hunters, shoot over our Stuffed, EXO Packs ( With, a small Toe rest ) PAST 400 yards and use, Hunters Specialties WOOD STIX for, kneeling or, Sitting shots to, 375 / 400 Yds with, the Pack resting, on thigh used as, a "Toe Rest" for sitting shots.
The Wood, H-S "Stix" weigh practically,.. NOTHING !
It's hard to find, a reasonably FLAT Spot in the Mountains to, shoot Prone.

Something that many seem to fail to realize, it's not just the brush/grass, ect that makes prone or shooting from typical bipods impossible is that often shots must be made down a steep ridge. It takes a lot of height to give the shooter a good rest for steep downhill shooting, through in some small brush/grass on that hill…..and those shots are near impossible without support of good height!

Good rigid shooting sticks or ski poles, ect. offer the additional height and are very useful navigating rough terrain and are of light to moderate weight!

For those that are hunting in fairly rough terrain, and are not blessed with someone to carry their additional gear, weight and versatility are at a premium! JMO memtb

Last edited:
Something that many seem to fail to realize, it's not just the brush/grass, ect that makes prone or shooting from typical bipods impossible is that often shots must be made down a steep ridge. It takes a lot of height to give the shooter a good rest for steep downhill shooting, through in some small brush/grass on that hill…..and those shots are near impossible without support of good height!

Good rigid shooting sticks or ski poles, ect. offer the additional height and are very useful navigating rough terrain and are of light to moderate weight!

For those that are hunting in fairly rough terrain, and are not blessed with someone to carry their additional gear, weight and versatility are at a premium! JMO memtb
I guess what im starting to realize from the comments and everyones input is that one can't solely rely on just one option for stability whether it is a bipod attached to your weapon or hiking sticks or a tree to lean on you gotta be adaptable for every situation. Chances are if you've practiced for one situation it'll be the other you haven't practiced for that will arise in the field.

You should Practice,.. Offhand, Kneeling, Prone and Sitting on,.. a Side Hill
We've used them ALL,.. over the Years,..
My last Elk was shot, Kneeling over Sage Brush at, 115 Yards, using Wood Stix
One before that, N. Ariz, was shot from, Sitting position with, Stix.
My 13 y/o grandson, shot 2 Nice Muleys, from Prone, in Open Desert country at, 225 and 268 Yards.
My Older grandson shot 3 Deer, sitting at, 230 to 468 yds, from sitting position, over Trekking Poles.
My son shot, His last Elk at 247 yds Sitting with, Stix and Pack, on Thigh.
He also shot, his huge Cinnamon Bear at, 110 Yds using, a Tree as, support in the Timber.
We Practice, ALL these positions, in the Rolling Desert, steep canyon, country from, early Spring thru, Fall.

Last edited:
I guess what im starting to realize from the comments and everyones input is that one can't solely rely on just one option for stability whether it is a bipod attached to your weapon or hiking sticks or a tree to lean on you gotta be adaptable for every situation. Chances are if you've practiced for one situation it'll be the other you haven't practiced for that will arise in the field.
This..... I train all year shooting positional. Started with shooting PRS matches and realizing how much I didn't know. Now I train with backpack, sticks, bipod, tripod, unsupported. I shoot in the field a lot, in the terrain I hunt in, so my positions are real life and generally kind of suck. It's pretty shocking how much accuracy can be affected by the different platforms and how they are deployed. The only way to know what will work for you and the desired effective range is to practice and train.

Idk about that. If you have have a 6 foot tree and a multi day pack, you could use the pack for prone and kneeling, and the tree and your hand for standing. Like barricade shooting.

Those of us that come from the Sniper world or especially the PRS world, creativity and opportunity is what helps build a shooting position without the use of special equipment. If as a hiker, mountain and canyoneer, having an item that only serves one purpose seems weak. Remember, we aren't sitting in a blind on pappys ranch in Texas.

Attachments

• 0B4A508F-041F-4B3F-9207-48DBB332BCDC.jpeg
    0B4A508F-041F-4B3F-9207-48DBB332BCDC.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 64
Last edited:
To further Dfanonymous point, each tool usually has several uses. You'd be amazed at what you can do with a tripod for support. Not just front support. Many of use a tripod as a bipod, rear support, front support, etc. It's just one tool but has multiple uses. Same with sticks. In fact, you can literally use a stick off the ground. Creative and thinking outside the box is the name of the game that gets you into a solid foundation for taking a shot and being able to take a follow up. For me, I hate being knocked off target and not being able spot my shot and prep for a follow up. I hunt solo mainly so there is no spotter option.

Idk about that. If you have have a 6 foot tree and a multi day pack, you could use the pack for prone and kneeling, and the tree and your hand for standing. Like barricade shooting.

Those of us that come from the Sniper world or especially the PRS world, creativity and opportunity is what helps build a shooting position without the use of special equipment. If as a hiker, mountain and canyoneer, having an item that only serves one purpose seems weak. Remember, we aren't sitting in a blind on pappys ranch in Texas.

Beautiful pic.

I'll play and add to that as this scene plays through my mind on a regular basis. I was on a nm muley hunt back in November. I sat this spot from daylight till 11a counting 4 muleys that weren't shooters and 18 elk from 400-1200 yards out. I Logged that and 3 bedding area's into onX before moving to greener muley pastures.

Wish I had a pic of the tripod but it's the same as in my previous post holding the rifle. This tripod is great for sitting with glass and okay for standing as it's a tad short. It's also great for prone to sitting and kneeling but marginal for stand up shooting due to stability. It's very light so there's the compromise.
Resized_20221113_110257.jpeg

Lots of ways to get it done but I have no regrets getting this tripod. I have way too many photos of it but it goes with my everywhere so I use it a lot. Just a few in different deployment situations.

Attachments

• 064B315E-1FB1-4537-B461-EF8603D48FD0.jpeg
    064B315E-1FB1-4537-B461-EF8603D48FD0.jpeg
    479 KB · Views: 56
  • CF6BD917-1E54-4350-BD6E-C153EE6AAF07.jpeg
    CF6BD917-1E54-4350-BD6E-C153EE6AAF07.jpeg
    930.8 KB · Views: 57
  • FB54B803-148B-4A4B-8ACB-A19128F28F0D.jpeg
    FB54B803-148B-4A4B-8ACB-A19128F28F0D.jpeg
    370.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 7A375409-FD55-41AD-BA1C-074D9C45BD1C.jpeg
    7A375409-FD55-41AD-BA1C-074D9C45BD1C.jpeg
    125.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 8A2610DB-CF03-48C9-BBEC-A6F82C034A1A.jpeg
    8A2610DB-CF03-48C9-BBEC-A6F82C034A1A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
Working on getting my rifle set up.
Those that go backcountry hunting can you recommend a good bipod to put on my rifle. It will be attached to a picatinny rail. Would like to if all possible to stay under $250 and still get a light weight sturdy bipod. Let me know any. Any insight will be appreciated.
Having shot hundreds of PRS/NRL matches (weight is not an issue) and now NRL Hunter as well as hunting (weight is definitely an issue since you're packing hunting gear too all day, sometimes for days) I moved to the Two Vets "The Ruck". You'll need to add a head too. I bit the bullet and went for the RRS Anvil 30 Ballhead. For better shooting you'll want to attach something like a Area 419 4.25" Arca rail or a short picatinny rail, both mid stock. The Anvil works for either.

X2 for Spartan Precision. Extremely light and high quality. This bi-pod does not stay on your while hunting but can be attached in a few seconds, it snaps in with a magnet. This system is definitely worth a look if you're a back country hunter counting ounces and hate carrying a rifle with a full time bi-pod.

Recent Posts