What bipod for hunting???

I had Harris bipods on all of my rifles and my pistol. On one hunt, I was shooting across a canyon, and had to up the bipod on top of my boots to get the elevation I needed. On another hunt, I had to use a log to get the bipod up high enough to shoot steeply up hill. My buddy with sticks had no issue with either position. I switched to sticks. If I'm in a place where prone shooting is a possibility, my pack works fine for a rest.

The spring on the Harris bipod cost me a deer, when it didn't latch and snapped back when I let go.

The sticks are especially helpful if shooting down a steep grade! 😉 memtb

I've tried almost everything. I've always tried to stay lighter weight, with prone height bipods. But last season my buddy let me borrow is Hatch Outwest 27" bipod. It goes from prone to seated height. I ended up killing ALL of my animals in the seated position because of the terrain. That bipod is staying on my gun for the foreseeable future for sure. Super versatile.
^^^^^^This^^^^^ I use the same one. Have not tried everything out there. Went from a Harris S25 to this and never looked back.

I have had a number of bipods, I have built a couple of my own, I prefer them coaxially mounted over the barrel (you should try it) no side to side flopping. I have, and like the Modular Evolution carbon fiber bipod with extra legs to get more height, but the adjustment of the legs is not near as nice as the Hatch appears to be. The Hatch has plenty of leg length. Personally the shorter version is long enough. Beyond that a tripod makes more sense in my opinion. I would like to get my hands on the 27" Hatch and see how it feels. If you need to have more length you can get the longer version, but it is kind of long when collapsed. They are priced right, especially for what you are getting, and it's made in America!

Bog pods, +1 on Death Grip tripod and yes heavy but is great in crappy ground areas, Magpul ok but seems to be really load sensitive to me.🤷🏻‍♂️
IMG_3294.jpeg

Last edited:
Gday
I love my bipods
From heavy timber to open plains even 6ft cane grass
Pretty well all my rifles when in the field have a bipod attached as to me they seem to be more balanced ( most of my shooting has been with bipods attached so I'm hard wired I think )
Yes even my 500 Jeffery does from time to time with the odd time bipod free but not often

Harris is my only brand for no other reason than familiarity & I like the swivel one the most but other better bipods I believe are available today on the few other ones I've used

I load bipods up I also put them against trees , rocks , termites mounds etc for increased stability

Just watch your knuckles on some of the heavy recoiling rifles as they will strip skin off so hand positioning is advisable if one goes that way

Overall whatever one chooses to use practice & familiarity is of the highest importance to me

Cheers

Another Hatch Outwest bipod user here. I didn't want to keep the bipod on the gun all the time while hunting and Hatch makes a neoprene belt pouch for it. I ended up putting together a picatinny rail and molle attachment for my hip belt. With one hand, It only takes a second for me to attach it or remove it.

Attachments

• IMG_8022.jpeg
    IMG_8022.jpeg
    263.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_8605.jpeg
    IMG_8605.jpeg
    389.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8608.jpeg
    IMG_8608.jpeg
    359.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_8609.jpeg
    IMG_8609.jpeg
    333.7 KB · Views: 34
It won't come off accidentally. It will work with either mount, my son has the Hatch mount and I have the ADM. You can buy other brands but these are what I bought (see attachments). The pronged T-nuts and Chicago screw came from Ace Hardware. I shortened the prongs on the T-nuts so they couldn't go all the way through the molle attachment and added the Chicago screw to draw it as tight as it can go against the belt. It works for me.

I went with that picatinny attachment because it said it was made in America and I like to support us when I can. 👍🏻
One other thing, you'll have to melt holes through the nylon molle attachment, I used an old soldering iron but you can heat up a nail and it'll do the same thing, just be careful and don't get burned.

Last edited: