What bipod height for prone?

Tyler Kemp

Just got a gun that needs a bipod...which one will be better for shooting prone, 6-9" or 9-13"? I've never really shot off a bipod much from prone, just used bags mostly.

Thanks,
Tyler

I've tried the 6-9 as well as the 9-13 and have always stuck with the 6-9. I will say though that I usually have a 9-13 in a pack or somewhere handy and I have had an occasion or two where the 9-13 worked better but the 6-9 is on all of my guns and works great. When the 6-9 is too short a fanny/back pack works great for me. I find that I can usually make up for the short one being a little too short but I can't whittle the longer one down so thus, the 6-9 on my guns.;)

I'd also add that I personally find the notched leg unit works far better and easier for me than the standard type of leg adjustment. And I also don't have a bipod that doesn't have a PodLock on it.

This has come up before and as I remember the 6-9 was the most popular but we'll see about this time around.;)

Currently I have the 9-13 but will change to 6-9 because mine is just a bit long at times and I find I need to poke a fair bit of stuff under the butt for a real steady shot.

I also like the notched legs, swivel base is a must with a podloc too.

Cheers, Steve

Tyler:
My recommendation is the 9-13. I have one and it pretty much just stays at 9. I shoot it prone at that setting and off a bench at that setting.

You probably don't go wrong with either the 6-9 or the 9-13, but I will tell you thing....be sure to get the notched legs and it should swivel.

The notched legs will lock the legs in position when they are extended. This is an issue if your rifle has sufficient recoil to lift the bipod some. With the smooth legs you have a much great chance that the legs will slip.

The swivel will allow you to adjust the cant of the rifle for ground or a bench that is not level. Once you have it level, a pod-lock is a nice accessory but not necessary.

My my $.02

I have found that unless I carry a Weed-Eater with me, the 6-9 does not get me up out of the grass and weeds. Sometimes I wish I could get an extra inch or so out of my 9-13.
JMHO
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.